Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #1

I have a '03 30' Sightseer. I currently have 2-12 volt batteries that are origional and need to be replaced. I mainly camp at sites with an AC hookup but have the need to boondock a couple of times a year for a 2 or 3 day weekend. I do have a 4K generator for recharging but would rather not run it unless I have to. I have removed the factory converter and installed a PD9245. I have a couple of small inverters for the TV and DVD. If I watch the TV for a couple of hours a night and run the normal DC lights, do I need 2-6 volt or 4-6 volt batteries??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #2

I have a '03 30' Sightseer. I currently have 2-12 volt batteries that are origional and need to be replaced. I mainly camp at sites with an AC hookup but have the need to boondock a couple of times a year for a 2 or 3 day weekend. I do have a 4K generator for recharging but would rather not run it unless I have to. I have removed the factory converter and installed a PD9245. I have a couple of small inverters for the TV and DVD. If I watch the TV for a couple of hours a night and run the normal DC lights, do I need 2-6 volt or 4-6 volt batteries??
Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
What group size is your 12 volt Battery's? If 24 series then 2 6 volts would be all you could fit in there. If you have 27 series or 29 series you might be able to stuff 4 6 volters in there.It depends on the size of the box! 6 volt battery's are the same size as group 24 series battery's.if that is your size you can gain almost another 100 amp hours alone! If memory serves two six volts give you 260 amp hours, If I'm wrong someone correct me please.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #4

We found that on our last RV (current one is not setup with 6V's yet) we could easily go the weekend without charging (a couple of hours of TV each day, maybe run the furnace in the morning, normal lights, water pump). The furnace is the biggest battery-killer; so if you can avoid that, your're home free!

fyi - we had T-105's, 220Ah.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi I put 4 golf cart 6 volt battiers in our 2004 Sightseer.
Here is a Pic of the in the battery compartment under the step.
http://we2rv.com/sightseer/6volt-batteries-small.jpg
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick_od:
I have a '03 30' Sightseer. I currently have 2-12 volt batteries that are origional and need to be replaced. I mainly camp at sites with an AC hookup but have the need to boondock a couple of times a year for a 2 or 3 day weekend. I do have a 4K generator for recharging but would rather not run it unless I have to. I have removed the factory converter and installed a PD9245. I have a couple of small inverters for the TV and DVD. If I watch the TV for a couple of hours a night and run the normal DC lights, do I need 2-6 volt or 4-6 volt batteries?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies everybody.
I wasn't exactly concerned about weather 4-6 volt'ers would fit. I was just wondering if 2-6 volt'ers would be enough capacity for my limited boondocking. The kids watch a movie at night and in the winter the heater would be running with a couple of lights. I could always run the generator in the morning to run the PD9245 converter but would rathernot hear the noise. Would they last over a 3 day weekend??
Thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Four batteries would probably get you through a full 3 day weekend of boondocking, but for maximum life I'd get them fully recharged as soon as you were back to shore power. A typical 5W will have enough parasitic loads running all of the time that it takes a 80 - 100 watt solar panel just to overcome those do-nothing loads. This means your batteries will be discharging continuously even before the TV is turned on (frig fan, TV remote circuits, microwave clocks, etc all use power 24/7). It is harder on a lead acid battery to go to 50% discharge without getting full every day, but Boondocking like that a couple times a year won't be so bad ... just plan on replacing the battery bank every 2 - 3 years rather than keep them 5 - 7 years.
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick_od:
I was just wondering if 2-6 volt'ers would be enough capacity for my limited boondocking. The kids watch a movie at night and in the winter the heater would be running with a couple of lights. I could always run the generator in the morning to run the PD9245 converter but would rathernot hear the noise. Would they last over a 3 day weekend??
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have 2-6V batteries with a 1000W inverter. When boondocking, we use the batteries power TV, satellite receiver with DVR, satellite internet (current draw similar to satellite TV), limited lighting, whatever 12V power is necessary for the 'fridge control, and for the water pump. The TV, satellite receiver, and satellite internet usually run an hour or two in the morning and an couple of hours at night. The furnace will draw down the batteries very quickly, so we only run the furnace when the generator is running. We use plenty of blankets at night if it's cold.

In order to prolong the life of my batteries, I don't like do discharge them more than about 50%. With this in mind, I run the generator for an hour or so in the morning to top off the charge (and to allow furnace and mircowave use), and for a couple of hours during TV and satellite usage in the evening.

I don't think 2-6V batteries will last a 3 day weekend without using a generator, especially if you want to use the furnace.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #9

I would strongly suggest a solar array if you want to boondock. I run a pair of 120 watt panels and am planning on adding two more, along with four more 6v batteries (for a total of six). This should allow for almost unlimited electrical use (except for the microwave) over the course of several days in the Summer, and limited use in the winter (sun angle being much lower will cut panel output almost in half).

I know solar panels are expensive... probably cost you $1500-2000 complete, but it's well worth it and will make your batteries last a lot longer.

Rob
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote