Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
Update....
We drove home from our trip...about 10 hours drive. The batteries charged up to 100% and, again, stayed 100 % charged for two days and then dropped to 75% with nothing at all running on them other than the "Aux ON."
...will need to check for a parasitic drain, amongst other things....will keep you posted....interesting electrical gremlins.
The status board only shows gross as in 100%, 75% so you don't really know what the exact status is. Get one of these at least:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wait at least 30 minutes after charging to check status and don't check while you have a large load like the furnace. Accurate readings are at rest only.

Full charge is 12.6 and up. 50% is roughly 11.9 on 6-volt and 12.1 on 12 volt batteries and you don't want them any lower than that to prevent damage.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The status board only shows gross as in 100%, 75% so you don't really know what the exact status is. Get one of these at least:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That item is very cool !
Will be getting one for sure.
Thx !

update :
After 2 days of charging thru shore power and the on-board inverter, the batteries read only 60% charged for the one battery and only 35 % on the other....am taking them back for checking.
Anyone else had any problems with Interstate Batteries ?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter or Converter. that sounds like a single stage converter. Most inverters use 3-stage re-charge.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #18

I am curious as to what your using to determine charge percentage? Most monitor systems only have 4 led lights to indicate battery charge. You have many things using power all the time several use battery power even when off. The idea of going camping for days without charging is not a good one you should set aside a 3 to5 hour charge period every day.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #19

I used a voltmeter. but I didn't have the exact voltages memorized so I didn't want to quote them here. I think the "right" battery was 6.12 volts and the "left" battery was 5.94 volts. I'll dbl check my figures later.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #20

Update :
Well, there are definitely some electrical gremlins going on in my RV.
#1) Yes, after 3 days sitting, the "left" of the two batteries measures 6.10v (down from 6.15v) and the "right" of the two batteries measures 5.92v (down from 5.96v)
#2) This measurement is after being plugged into shore power for more than two full days.
#3) I've got the WFCO-Model WF9855 Power Convertor - it is a three stage unit, so, it seems as though it should be fine, however, I noticed that it's rapidly "ticking" when plugged into shore power....this is something new. I don't remember this sound before.
#4) I measured the voltage coming into the house batteries when plugged into shore power. 12.44v sometimes temporarily ramping up to 12.78v, but, strangely mostly hovering around 12.44v.

Stupid question alert !....nowhere in the manual does it state whether or not the "Aux Power" should be ON or OFF when plugged into shore power. Of course, when plugged in, the Aux Power light automatically turns on, but, in my RV, it seems as though the WFCO Convertor does not function to charge the house batteries until I actually press the Aux Power button "again." I can hear the electrical system engage and the "rapid ticking" begins in the convertor.

Anyone shed some light on this please ?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You need a good battery gauge that will accurately tell you what is going on
With your batteries .

This is the one to get.

http://www.bogartengineering.com/sit...0low%20res.pdf

Attachment 76786
I have to agree with this. For the price of one battery (or so) you will know how much current each device draws. You will also know how much current each of your charging sources supplies. No more guessing.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #22

FYI:
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
Update :
#3) I've got the WFCO-Model WF9855 Power Convertor - it is a three stage unit, so, it seems as though it should be fine, however, I noticed that it's rapidly "ticking" when plugged into shore power....this is something new. I don't remember this sound before.
#4) I measured the voltage coming into the house batteries when plugged into shore power. 12.44v sometimes temporarily ramping up to 12.78v, but, strangely mostly hovering around 12.44v.?

#3. IF everything is hooked up and functioning correctly than you would be seeing these voltages at the batteries;
- Nominal (Absorption Mode) 13.6 Vdc (includes charging and load)
- Boost (Bulk Mode) 14.4 Vdc
- Trickle (Float Mode) 13.2 Vdc (after 48 hrs.)

Using SOC tables and LED lights is a slippery slope. They are just a reference and can change depending on how/when you are using them.

GET A METER/SHUNT!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #24

Probably a crazy question but have you gone to interstate service and asked the qestion? We have an Interstate office 3 miles from us and when one of my cars was having a battery issue I just drove it in, they hooked it up to a computer and checked the battery (hooked up the battery terminals to the computer).. but they saw that my battery was 60% dead and dying fast (after 8 years) I changed it and left the old one there!

Can you tell the MFG date on the battery? Was it sitting at a dealer or warehouse a long time? That can create a problem exponentially if it was sitting on concrete 've been told that is death to the battery...

Just some ideas! Hope you get it worked out.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
That can create a problem exponentially if it was sitting on concrete 've been told that is death to the battery...

Just some ideas! Hope you get it worked out.
I have been told that also, but read recently that it is a myth. I put something under the battery just to be sure.
From BatteryStuff.com:
"This one is an often heard ‘old wives tale’. It used to be that battery cases were made of inferior material such as hard rubber, or even tar. This material would develop micro cracks over time and become porous, and left on wet ground or damp concrete would begin to self discharge. Nowadays, battery cases are made of plastic that do not leak and can be stored on nearly any surface, even left in standing water with no ill effects."
Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #26

If the converter wires go directly to the batteries and are crossed, maybe the converter circuit breaker is clicking in and out. Recheck all the wires on the batteries.

An old time mechanic once told me " Always look where the last guy worked, first" even if it was ME.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to find out more information about your "AUX" switch.

My Aux switch when pressed, connects my coach and chassis batteries together for only 120 seconds. This allows me to start the generator, raise my jacks, or pull in my slides if my coach batteries are dead. It also allows me to start my engine if my chassis battery is dead.

As far as charging, when on shore power, my coach batteries charge first, then once they get to 12.4 volts, the aux switch automatically engages (Through a circuit board in my BCC) and connects my batteries together and charges my chassis battery too.

When driving, once my chassis battery is at 12.4 volts, the AUX switch automatically engages to connect my batteries together to charge the coach batteries too.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #28

I emailed back and forth with a WFPO tech today....wow ! was that an experience.
The batteries are back at the dealer and are being checked. There's a date stamp on each one...I'll look into what the codes mean.

mgscott has a good point.....it is possible that every RV manufacturer has done things a bit differently as far as what gets charged first. If, for example, the chassis battery is a bit down, it may get priority.

Now that the batteries are out, I will measure the voltage coming to the two house battery cables directly from the convertor. It should measure minimum 13.2volts.