Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

35-->36?

In looking at various public (NP/NFS/state/etc) campgrounds (online) I often see a max length of 35' listed.

How hard and fast is that, in general?

Will a 36' DP usually be able to deal with it?

Is the limit "enforced", other than by physics?

Is pushing the limit ok or dumb?

I realize each situation is different, but just in general.

We'd like to be able to use these campgrounds, but we also have our eye on 36' Country Coaches.

Is a 36' a "35" in practice, or no?
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We put our 37 in 35 commented CG's. Sometimes its tight, sometimes not so much. Its not a hard and fast rule, usually.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Out west from what I have seen it's pig in a poke. The roads in the trees make the turns tight, a lot of the sights are fine up to 40 foot but the road there is the problem. The desert area's are space or sight related, but again I have seen 30-35 foot posted and there sits a 45 footer with a trailer still connected. But now t o your question, I would not see any difference between 35 and 36 foot.

LEN
Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

My experience has been there is no rhyme or reason on how most campgrounds "reason" site size. I have personally put my 35ft travel trailer in sites that say 25ft with an extra 10ft behind me. I have never ran into one site that said 25ft and was 25ft exactly. I am fairly OCD about looking at the site on google maps/earth, campsitephotos.com, researching as many RV forum as possible, etc. before making a reservation or attempt to drive to a site I have not been to before. Best bet is to just ask people on websites and try to research before you go, and always have a backup or two.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
My experience has been there is no rhyme or reason on how most campgrounds "reason" site size.
Or how mfgs measure their products!! Our 40' Monaco is actually 41' and change...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
35-->36?

Gannet, one of the main reasons we bought a short coach is precisely because we wanted to stay at smaller more remote places. For many of these locations in CO you really do need to have a short coach to get to your spot and fit into it. If that is what you are looking for it is well worth getting a smaller rig. We absolutely love places like Olive Ridge in Rocky Mountain NP, St Charles at Lake Isabel, Chalk Creek and Collegiate Peaks... all places that you will have a very challenging time getting into in a 40' coach.

BTW... We have a 34 York, it measures 35. Nobody will stand at the entrance and measure your coach but enter at your own risk if you're trying to get 10 lbs of STUFF in a 5 lb bag.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

We use state parks almost exclusively.

We've never seen anyone near our coach with a tape measure, so I doubt seriously if there are "over length" police. We once called ahead to a campground that had a 25' limit imposed on all their sites. It was near an area we wanted to spend some time in, and there were not many other options nearby. The ranger mentioned it was an older campground, but he really didn't care how long we were, as long as we could manage without assistance. After telling him I was an ex truck driver that was very familiar with my rig, he also told us there were a couple of sites that were not numbered or shown on any maps for just such instances, welcoming us with open arms!

We're closer to 38' and have never had trouble getting into a 35' site. That said, I would want to see the 25' site before signing up for it. Many times there is no issue, other times you may see that a popup may have difficulty?

As we prefer campgrounds over "parks" (parking lots) I think our biggest difficulty is finding a site that's level enough to handle our coach easily. That would be our single biggest limitation. If we're going to be there several days, I really don't mind driving the coach onto blocks to level it if required, but for a night or 2?

We have a toad with us whenever we're on the road. Our normal MO when arriving at a park is to pull into the check in area and drop the toad right there. We then go in and make arrangements to use the toad to pick a site. That's rarely an issue, but on occasion they'll want to assign you a site. If it's not acceptable for whatever reason, you're welcome to come back and change it. Part of your reason for taking the toad in first is to check for things like overhead clearance or tight turns limited by trees/branches that are too close to the road. Works great, saves time and patience for both you and park employees. Many times they're actually relieved to know they're dealing with somebody with some experience...

Bottom line, I would not buy a shorter coach than ours due to site limitations/inconveniences we've been exposed to over the last 4 years that we've spent bouncing around the country.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #8

Lots of good feedback. Thanks everybody!
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote