Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Interesting. I cannot figure out why they need to get new CPAP machines as long as they have enough battery capacity to run what they have. Nobody seems to have a handle on the power draw. A lot of that depends on whether or not they need the humidifier option on them.

I do not see why they have to have an inverter generator. All that does is trade a lot of money for a little more quiet. If noise is a big factor look at solar.
The CPAPs are 12v, but have 110v bricks so I sent her a link to the direct 12v power cords. 12v DC is much more efficienct than running an inverter. They will need to be able to recharge the RV battery bank so either an inverter generator or solar will do that.

GeeGee, just to be clear because your posts on the other forum looked a little confused (understandably), the two batteries recommended for your RV are not to have one for each CPAP, but are joined together (in parallel for 12v, in series for dual 6v) to give you a more substantial battery bank. Dual Grp 24s gives you 160AH, dual Grp 27s gives you 200AH and dual GC2 6V batteries like Trojan T105 will give you 225AH, with AH meaning Amp-hours.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I have a primary and backup CPAP. I found they both run on 12v and ordered the 12v power cord. The 110 brick plug in merely transforms 110 volts to 12 volt, so why not eliminate the middle man? I found one for my ResMed at CPAP.COM and the other I found the part number for and used google to locate one as it was discontinued.
As for 12V (cigarette lighter) outlets, the only one I had was the bedroom TV nook. So I got one from Amazon Amazon.com: RoadPro RPPS-16ES 12-volt Auxiliary Power Port or Outlet: Automotive
and connected it to the wiring for my reading lamp and installed on my headbord. You should be able to find a friend to do this for you as it isn't rocket science.
By running the CPAPs directly from 12v, you have no worries about power or generator failure, and they use very little to run all night.
If you need a 12v extention cord, I recommend RoadPro brand as another brand I tried had wiring too thin for the job.
Amazon.com: RoadPro RP-203EC 12V 12' Extension Cord with Cigarette Lighter Plug: Automotive
If either CPAP is not 12v, you can use a 300w (or less) inverter like this one:
Amazon.com : BESTEK® 300W Dual 110V AC Outlets Power Inverter Car DC 12V to 110V AC Inverter with Dual USB Charging Ports for Smartphones and Tablets : Vehicle Power Inverters : Car Electronics
The inverter itself uses some battery power so it will be less efficient than direct 12v cords, but it should still be good for the night.
Other handy items:
Amazon.com: NOCO GC020 12V 2-Way Splitter: Automotive
or Amazon.com: BESTEK® USB Adapter Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Car Splitter Adapter 4 way Socket Adapter Plug Socket USB Outlet DC Charger Power Adapter 12V Socket 24V DC Adapter Car Charger Dual USB Charger 2.1A for iPhone6/iPhone 6 Plus/iPhone 5S 5/i

I would not trust my CPAP to a "modified sine" type of inverter.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
The CPAPs are 12v, but have 110v bricks so I sent her a link to the direct 12v power cords. 12v DC is much more efficienct than running an inverter. They will need to be able to recharge the RV battery bank so either an inverter generator or solar will do that.

GeeGee, just to be clear because your posts on the other forum looked a little confused (understandably), the two batteries recommended for your RV are not to have one for each CPAP, but are joined together (in parallel for 12v, in series for dual 6v) to give you a more substantial battery bank. Dual Grp 24s gives you 160AH, dual Grp 27s gives you 200AH and dual GC2 6V batteries like Trojan T105 will give you 225AH, with AH meaning Amp-hours.
The area for batteries on the OP's TT measures 27 3/4" x 7 7/8"
Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota98 View Post
I would not trust my CPAP to a "modified sine" type of inverter.
Actually, after a little research, I wouldn't recommend an inverter at all unless it was connected directly to a battery. Most 12V receptacles are not wired with heavy enough wiring to run a couple of CPAPs all night without the possibility of some melt down or fire danger. To me, the best inverter solution is a 35AH sealed deep cycle battery at bedside with the inverter connected directly to it. But the best solution is direct 12v for the CPAPs.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Actually, after a little research, I wouldn't recommend an inverter at all unless it was connected directly to a battery. Most 12V receptacles are not wired with heavy enough wiring to run a couple of CPAPs all night without the possibility of some melt down or fire danger. To me, the best inverter solution is a 35AH sealed deep cycle battery at bedside with the inverter connected directly to it. But the best solution is direct 12v for the CPAPs.

I agree, two CPAP's connected to a single 12 volt receptacle is not wise. I was going to suggest the OP install a receptacle on either side of the bed & use a proper wire size, since they have the perfect set-up to do so. I use a dedicated 35 amp AGM battery connected directly with the right adapter, "without" an inverter for my Respironics. It will last for 2-3 nights, not using a humidifier, before re-charge is needed. The battery is small, compact & light weight.

For some reason, its seems the OP is not interested any longer in two way communication.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota98 View Post
I agree, two CPAP's connected to a single 12 volt receptacle is not wise. I was going to suggest the OP install a receptacle on either side of the bed & use a proper wire size, since they have the perfect set-up to do so. I use a dedicated 35 amp AGM battery connected directly with the right adapter, "without" an inverter for my Respironics. It will last for 2-3 nights, not using a humidifier, before re-charge is needed. The battery is small, compact & light weight.

For some reason, its seems the OP is not interested any longer in two way communication.
Or she was overwhealmed on RV.NET. But thanks for the info on the 35AH battery and how long it lasts. That is a good option if you have a battery charger or just for weekends.
My first boondock in the Grand Tetons, I used a large portable jump start battery with an inverter. It lasted about 1 and a half nights. I left it at the ranger station for recharging, but I've since found it takes it 2-3 full days to get a full recharge, so I would wake up feeling like I was suffocating about 3:00am the rest of the stay. And that is why I am trying to help the OP go to a bigger battery bank with direct 12v cords. I use my dual GC2 batteries with a 12v receptacle at my headboard and only lightly dent the batteries overnight. The receptacle is wired to the reading light until I can find a path to the battery storage compartment for heavier wiring.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Or she was overwhealmed on RV.NET. But thanks for the info on the 35AH battery and how long it lasts. That is a good option if you have a battery charger or just for weekends.
My first boondock in the Grand Tetons, I used a large portable jump start battery with an inverter. It lasted about 1 and a half nights. I left it at the ranger station for recharging, but I've since found it takes it 2-3 full days to get a full recharge, so I would wake up feeling like I was suffocating about 3:00am the rest of the stay. And that is why I am trying to help the OP go to a bigger battery bank with direct 12v cords. I use my dual GC2 batteries with a 12v receptacle at my headboard and only lightly dent the batteries overnight. The receptacle is wired to the reading light until I can find a path to the battery storage compartment for heavier wiring.
The 35 amp is good even with using a humidifier, just won't last as long before recharge is needed.

The converter in my TT is old & worthless for charging, so I use a portable smart battery charger with my generator to charge both the dedicated CPAP battery & my 2-GC batteries. It's perfect for me. Takes no time at all to re-charge the CPAP battery & I never have to worry about that 3:00 am wake up call when the CPAP has lost power, anymore.

Been there, Done that.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #22

BTW, the OP has the information she needs and a plan to implement it. Dual 12v and a generator are already in the works.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Frankly folks I think this is a bit over blown. These are the specs for a muiltiday battery. Amp-Hours: 5.2 Amp-Hours Life: 14 to 16 hours per charge measured @ 14 cm of pressure Were it me, I would go for two decent amp hour true deep cycle batteries.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CPAP machines, some of them actually run on 12 volts (others need 120 volt) if you can get 12 volt models (They use power bricks or wall warts at home) you are more or less all set.

If you have 120 volt models then a small converter, Say a Samulex 300 watt true sine wave,, please go with true sine wave, Way easier and better.

Batteries.. CPAP's do not draw a lot of power but I'd go with a pair of GC-2... Likely way more than you need.

Generator.. Honad EU-2000i, Yahama EF-2000i or 2400i,, all will run most reasonable size converters (Progressive Dynamics 9245 or I think a 9260 epically the 2400) You can go with a competitor's INVERTER generator.. Honda has a feature no other has, Extended run fuel tank (optional).. Run during the day,, Not very loud, and shut off at night, DO NOT FORGET TO SECURE IT, those puppies like to grow legs.

You may also be able to do it with solar depending on where you are parked.