Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check with a local Propane distributor. They usually sell small 50-100 pound bottles that they can setup for you either way.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #16

fugitive861, Have you considered a propane tank that was used for gasoline truck conversions to propane (and on some farm equipment). We do extended winter camping, and use one for heat. I bought a 50 gallon tank for under $200.00. Mine has valving for liquid and vapor. It may work for you! We bring it, a 55 gallon drum of water,and a Polaris Ranger on a little flatbed trailer behind our 5th wheel.
Good Luck

memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #17

You could convert it back to gas.

Use a small propane tank for the stove and fit a large gas tank in.

Gas is so much easier to pour in a tank.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #18

I've never understood why propane to run a generator on an rv?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfarmboy View Post
Some states have emission regulations that prevent using diesel generators on RVs. Example, CA. Not saying it is correct, just that is a big reason.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive861 View Post
We have an Onan Marquis 6500 LP generator and a 25 gallon onboard propane tank. The genset burns a tad more than one gallon per hour if an ac is on. We've been going four wheeling a lot lately which entails dry camping. If we start with a completely full propane tank, we are empty at about 20 hour of run time. It hasn't been a problem with cooler weather, but I cannot sleep in a hot Texas summer night without ac.
Our genset runs on liquid propane. Can I bring supplemental propane bottles in the event we run our main tank empty? BBQ propane bottle I believe draw off gaseous propane, right? So I cannot run genset on those. Would a forklift bottle work? I believe they feed liquid propane. Thanks.
Are you running more than 1 A/C at a time? The reason I ask is that there are some ways to combine (auto start generator) + (solar) + (LiFe battery pack) + ( healthy inverter) that would at least double your air conditioning run time.

No doubt a trailer with a big propane tank will be cheaper, but it is possible.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfarmboy View Post
In my case it was converted to propane before I bought it since the ethanol fuel was eating up the aluminum carburetors and plugged the jets. They say not rebuildable and cost 500 bucks new. So the propane conversion was 700. Thinking of going back to gas . 75 gallon tank there.
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #22

i prefer propane. the fuel does not go bad. No carb to clean.

I have a honda 2000 converted to propane by genconnex. I love it. I can put the generator in my excursion and it doesnt stink.

Sounds like your genset is permanently mounted. My generator runs on vapor propane just like the rest of heater, fridge and stove/oven.

Genconnex has some good propane tank burn time info. It also has some info on how big the propane tank needs to be based on power your using and temperature. The lower the temps outside the harder it is for propane to vaporize.

http://www.genconnexdirect.net/Litur...k_Runtimes.pdf

ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, generator, propane