Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Adding water while boondocking

We have a new 2017 Cougar 28rls and unlike older trailers I'm familiar with that have your hose connection for campground hookup and a separate line to fill your fresh tank to boon dock.... this new camper has just one connection with a lever , it is a male hose connection that you can connect a hose to and fill from the house. .. it has a lever for city fill or fresh..... when boon docking i had no access to water so tried to use a short piece of hose with a funnel and there is now way that that valve will take the water being poured into the tank. I asked the dealer and they did not even give me any answers to my problem ... can anyone help

Smj959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smj959,

Does your rv have a winterizing system?
My winne has a valve to keep Rv antifreeze out of the water heater tank. There is also a hose for sucking anti freeze out of a jug.
I have used this hose to suck water out of a 5 gallon collapsible jug on 2 occasions using the coach water pump. My pump sucks about 1 1/4 gallons water per minute out of the jug.
Plz update the signature area of your profile page to include more info about your vehicles.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have noticed that the obligatory gravity fill port is becoming a thing of the past in many RV's in favor of the fancier 2way Faucet fill...problem is filling from a portable tank becomes difficult.

I would add a gravity fill. It is inexpensive and easy to add:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/JR-Produc...-Fill/55486139

Until that - or if you don't want that level of project, you'll need a "transfer pump" and a bit of garden hose. This can be a self-powered or drill powered pump. Like:
https://www.amazon.com/FORTRIC-ZKWP0.../dp/B01FLZ9Z5O
Or
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-FLO-Produ.../dp/B00LIRSW0Y

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #4

I have a 5 gal bucket I put a hose down and connect it to my winterizing pick up, I cut another hole in the lid to use for filling from another bucket . Bit of a pain sometimes , but I don't have to lift the buckets very high , works ok
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

My husband bought 4-5 gallon jerry cans. He purchased them from an online military supply company called LSI. We couldn't find them online but there are other companies that sell them. Jim said you can also buy them on Amazon but they're twice as much. To fill the fresh water tank from the can, Jim uses an RV water pump that he attached to a board. He had to make some modifications so that it would plug into the trailer electrical outlet. Jim said he can take a picture of it if you'd like--"that would be better than trying to explain it". So hang on for the photo...
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a drill powered pump and a couple short hoses.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Dang--he can't find the photos. I think there's enough info on similar setups here. Bottom line--it's very do-able & for very little money. It's nice having 20 gallons of water as a backup when you're out in the wild for a couple of weeks.
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said, if your rig has a winterizing setup, there is no need to purchase or construct anything else. Simply turn your city water valve to "tank fill", turn your winterizing valve to "winterize", drop the winterizing line into your bucket/jug/etc, and turn your onboard water pump on.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #9

The "winterize" setting may not allow you to add water to your on-board tank, just suck water from an external source into the fresh water system. I had the same issue as you, so as others mentioned, got an inexpensive 12V water pump which allows me to pump water from a jug thru my regular filter system and add/fill my onboard fresh water tank. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the vast majority of RVs, the city water fill valve is simply plumbed as another outlet from the pressurized water system, just like a faucet or the shower, that dumps into the tank. And on all of them, the winterizing line is nothing more than an alternate source for the pump to use to pressurize the system. Therefore, pressurizing the system from the winterizing line, and opening the "faucet" (city fill valve) to the tank, fills the tank from the winterizing source. I have yet to see an RV with the city "fill" valve that didn't work that way, although I admit that they may exist.

Easy way to test, is to turn your city water valve to "tank fill" (no hose hooked up) and turn on your water pump. If the pump continues to run, then that means it is drawing water from the tank, pushing it through the lines, and dumping it back into the tank. And that means that it will work as I've described.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
mat

Last trip boondocking, I couldn't bring my usual vehicle and was forced to use the Camaro as a water mule. (not the perfect desert vehicle) I bought a new 33 gallon trash can and a box of trash bags. I would drive to the water source and fill the barrel using a new trash bag each time. Then, at the motor home, I hooked up an extra shur-flo 12v. pump to a white water hose. This allowed me to suck the water out of the barrel and through one of those blue charcoal filters into the hose bib on the motor home. Problem solved and as a plus, a spare water pump should the need arise, and I also filtered the water when picking it up, so, double filtered before entering the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water transfer.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	171089  

Tags
water, boondocking