Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #15

Matt sent you a PM on your request for cost.

Reed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #16

Imurphy907.

Elaine and I agree "...But having the power you need, when ever you need it. PRICELESS..."

Not having to rely on a generator and its noise is worth it to us. As have noted on earlier posts, having the wildlife come up to us is an absolute delight. It is like the children's book "Play with me" that our kids loved. Do not bother the animals and they will come to you.

Going to much higher voltage from panels to controller and from controller to battery bank means using much smaller cabling. As noted we have 90 V from panels to controller and 48 V nominal from controller to battery suite. Actual charging rate is 57.6 V and float is 54.4 V. 1400 W would be 140 amps at 12 V but only 15 amps at 90 V.

Reed and Elaine

Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #17

I'm new to this solar stuff, but very interested. The Trojan 6v batteries would be a large investment. What's their average lifespan ?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapeterson View Post
I'm new to this solar stuff, but very interested. The Trojan 6v batteries would be a large investment. What's their average lifespan ?
I have heard some say theirs are still going strong at 8 years. I'll let you know in 7 more years.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #19

Based upon previous experience, I'd be disappointed if I didn't get at least 8 years service from a pair of batteries. I'm meticulous about keeping my batteries fully charged while in storage and never letting them get below 12.2 volts while in use. They're also full of electrolyte at all times. Oh, and clean the terminals of corrosion once or twice a year, too!

I've also used Interstate batteries with similar success.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #20

Thank you SilverBob and SkiSmuggs.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Normandlegra

Photo attached of scraping snow off panels at son's place. Tried getting on roof and I could not even sit down without sliding (turn 75 in a month and getting on snowy roofs is not on my list of things to do). Final photo is where we prefer to be in winter, on the beach in Yucatan, about 20 miles from Tulum

Reed and Elaine
Thanks for the explanations and pictures; I will also go to Mexico next winter 2016-2017 near Puerta Vallarta. It will be our first long trip to Mexico, except a 2 week stay in 2004 at the fishing village of San Felipe in Baja California; that was a Passport America bargain at $15/nite with full service including free satellite TV !
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #22

We spent a few days in San Felipe when we went down the length of Baja about 5 years ago. We were not that impressed by the town. The drive across from Ensenada was interesting and there are a few places on that road that Church's Guide mentioned. There is supposed to be a campground in the Sierra de San Pedro Mártir National Park. Picacho del Diablo (Devil's Peak) is the highest peak in the park and in Baja California with its summit reaching 3,096 meters (10,157 feet) is within the park.
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #23

Reed
What you running that needs those large panels? You running the AC off the solar?

Thanks
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you thought of these, you do need some room of coarse! 1@123lbs
and $ at $375- a piece. X 4=big bucks, 20Hr rating is 425Ahr.= 1700Ahr 100Hr rating is 485Ahr.

These are For Solar storage, and warranted for 7 years. If taken care of could last for 15 to 18 years!

I have them combined with 450Watt Solar on the Roof and 300Watt portable plug inn! That's a lot off amps be careful how you wire it!

Regards,

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	100878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	100879  

2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
What makes the most sense financially?
You've gotten some great responses here. I would only add that adding a solar system is not terribly expensive. Of course, your use kind of dictates how the return on investment calculation looks. For example, I spent about $1200 on a 650 watt DIY system (details here) and I boondock/dry camp nearly all the time. The solar supplies ALL my needs for extended periods (longest I've boondocked in one place without running the generator is three weeks). The only time I run my generator is to circulate the oil or if the outside temps are crazy hot and I need the air conditioning. I'm with Reed on this - not having the noise of the generator is worth a great deal to me.

If you go solar, consider the high voltage residential panels (over the 12 volt "RV" panels). You can get much greater output and use rather small cables at lower cost (usually, you have to shop around). They require a better charge controller (MPPT) but it is worth it (IMHO).
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #26

Mchero

We run the Dometic fridge and hot water on AC on sunny days and propane otherwise. We also run a/c off the propane/battery suite ion sunny days for up to 4 hours. As noted in earlier posts, we have not used generator in two years and have only hooked into line power on one occasion. We have not hooked in when we have stayed in RV parks. except for that one instance (103 in shade, and we were in shade so solar was not effective.

We travel in mountain west where you can avoid the heat by going up in elevation.

Our son uses batteries such as RVingDutchman suggests for his off the grid home installs as well as for his business back-up installs. We had similar on first rigs but the weight is considerably greater than LFP but then it is also considerably less expensive.

Agree with JFNM concerning quiet and with using higher voltage from panels. These do require a good MPPT which also adds to expense.

Simplest and least expensive is a 12 V system for most purposes of 100 to 330 W systems.

Reed and Elaine
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
and $ at $375- a piece. X 4=big bucks, 20Hr rating is 425Ahr.= 1700Ahr 100Hr rating is 485Ahr.

These are For Solar storage, and warranted for 7 years. If taken care of could last for 15 to 18 years!

I have them combined with 450Watt Solar on the Roof and 300Watt portable plug inn! That's a lot off amps be careful how you wire it!

Regards,

Ed
Just make sure you Mark all cables before swapping out your batteries correct Ed?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post

Regards,

Ed
Those are 6 volt batteries, so only 850 aH at 12 volts

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, solar