Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #29

Go solar. In 3 years and $400 spend I never saw my batteries lower then 12 volts.
Prior to solar installation batteries were never charged properly and barely lasted 2 years. While traveling after 2 days I saw my batteries at 11.5 volts

Now it's at 12.8 volts all the time.

Solar is paid for in batteries only and that also includes truck batteries and alternate use. While traveling with trailer in tow my truck batteries are always charged to the max and the 2 truck batteries while parked are charged by the trailer solars. My battery feed is direct from the batteries and not on the keyon setup.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #30

pro boondocker

I would love to here via- phone from someone with experience. I really am in need of advice from all aspects of what i am about to do.817-992-742 Lisa

Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnout View Post
I would love to here via- phone from someone with experience. I really am in need of advice from all aspects of what i am about to do.817-992-742 Lisa
Hi Lisa,

It might be best to start a new thread with your situation and questions. It appears this is your first post in this thread (please forgive me if I missed it) which makes it difficult for us to guess to what you are referring.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #32

Finally got really hot in mountains of northern NM

Several questions on this thread concerning running air conditioning from solar panels and battery suite. We are doing such today.

First time it has finally gotten hot at 7800' in northern NM. It got to 91 inside so I have turned on air conditioning. It does take 2 kW to run the Dometic. We are pulling in 1 kW but drawing an additional 1 kW from the battery suite (20 amps at 48 V nominal). Have been running for 45 minutes and temperature has dropped 5 degrees F inside and we are only down 700 W-hrs from full charge (9.6 kW-hrs at 54 V maximum or 8.6 kW-hrs at 48 V nominal - take your choice - I get handwaving from experts). We can run down to -7 kW-hrs (20% SOC) but will turn off at - 2 kW-hrs. Did turn fridge and hot water back to propane. Have the front bay open since do not want the LFP battery suite to get to hot from the 4.0 kW PSWI but it is only 89 in the bay (have a $12 Walmart remote thermometer in there).
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Reed,

I've read many of your other posts and think your solar/electric system is mighty awesome - I would love to have a copy!

I don't normally use AC (from generator) unless I'm really miserable and, in those situations, it seems that running it a good part of the day (at least noon til 8pm or so = 8-10 hours per day) is necessary to be less than miserable. With that in mind, I've come to the conclusion that attempting to run AC from solar is not financially reasonable FOR ME - obviously this is very subjective.

Would you mind sharing the total cost of your system - to include batteries, panels, controllers, cable/wiring, labor, etc…??

Perhaps you have previously done so and I missed it, my apologies if so. That info would certainly help those of us considering such use by placing an actual cost on the capability.

For background, I should probably note that I installed 650 watts of MPPT solar for about $1,200 - it easily supplies all of my needs short of air conditioning. My battery bank is a 440 ah bank of 6 volts.

Thanks!
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's the picture.

Here's 1600 watts of solar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton.png
Views:	88
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	103293

Two controllers, 45 and 60. 600 amps lithium-ion batteries.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #35

JFNM - have sent you a PM on costs of our system

Reed and Elaine
Old 08-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #36

simonsrf

I assume that the motor home pictured has fifteen 100 W panels of about 12 V each in parallel to a 12 V battery suite. This would be 133 amps at 12 V. He would probably be better served with an equivalent set of 235 to 350 W panels ganged in series to provide higher voltage to the MPPT (80 to 90 V). Higher voltage means lower amps and thus smaller cabling and smaller MPPT.

We run 1400 W with six x 235 W (30 V) panels set so we have two strings in series and then they the two strings are parallel to MPPT at 90 V. This is only 14 amps at 90 V. So we only have to use one Morningstar (Tristar) MPPT-45. The power goes to a 48 V nominal battery suite (9.6 kW-hrs of LFP at 54 V at float or 8.6 kW-hrs at 48 V nominal) so that the voltage is 29 V to the battery suite.

The solar/LFP threads on the Aussie fora of Caravaners and Grey Nomads show that many are going to 48 V battery suites. A current posting was that many of the Aussie RV manufacturers are selling rigs with LFP option. One of the major manufacturers has 80% of customers going with this option
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
simonsrf

I assume that the motor home pictured has fifteen 100 W panels of about 12 V each in parallel to a 12 V battery suite. This would be 133 amps at 12 V. He would probably be better served with an equivalent set of 235 to 350 W panels ganged in series to provide higher voltage to the MPPT (80 to 90 V). Higher voltage means lower amps and thus smaller cabling and smaller MPPT.

We run 1400 W with six x 235 W (30 V) panels set so we have two strings in series and then they the two strings are parallel to MPPT at 90 V. This is only 14 amps at 90 V. So we only have to use one Morningstar (Tristar) MPPT-45. The power goes to a 48 V nominal battery suite (9.6 kW-hrs of LFP at 54 V at float or 8.6 kW-hrs at 48 V nominal) so that the voltage is 29 V to the battery suite.

The solar/LFP threads on the Aussie fora of Caravaners and Grey Nomads show that many are going to 48 V battery suites. A current posting was that many of the Aussie RV manufacturers are selling rigs with LFP option. One of the major manufacturers has 80% of customers going with this option
Reed and Elaine
Actually, there are 16 panels. I can pull in 105 amps.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
To the OP and the question raised. Two more batteries should add about 1/2 time to your day and 1/2 to 2 and a little. Adding solar without going over the top $1000, 400 to 600 watts will keep the batteries in good shape almost all of the time if there is good Sun. I think for most of us these "super systems are fine" but not what the average RVer needs. Cost wise it's still hard to justify a lot of solar except for the quiet factor. At a cost of $1000 for solar verses $1000 for fueluel for the Gen it will take 700 hours to breakeven.

LEN
Old 08-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #39

Even with high voltage panels down to 75 cents/watt how much would a system that can run a roof AC cost? The inverter & battery bank needed would cost a small fortune!

Yeah those new Lithium Ion batteries are real nice but just a tad to rich for my blood.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Almost

I could have bought a lithium battery for the same price as I paid for these puppies, but would have gotten only half the capacity !!!!!

I now have a lot of weight to carry of coarse with 850 Ahr. and 4x123# but It will be worth it in the long run, I do know already that I need more panels on the roof to keep up with charging
I have 450 Watt on the roof and 300 portable but need more on the roof!

Who could tell me if I could safely combine these three 150 Watt panels with three 100 Watt panels on one controller (Tristar PMW45) ????
I did not think so but have been told I could???

So far I think its working great al though I'm kind of on the fence as to why the voltage drops quite quickly once I start using heavily it does not go below 12.3 but and recovers quick but it just seems odd? maybe that's the way it works?
I guess I'm still learning!

Regards Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	103621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	103622  

2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #41

I nominate Reed to test out the new 7kw Tesla Power Wall battery.

Can I get a second??

MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #42

Would like two x Teslas. Son is looking into them for future home installations. He does not have enough information as yet for decisions. Tesla has apparently sold out two years production already.

To run off roof only would take just about 2 kW of panels. Have noted that we can pull in over 1.4 kW from panels but we are still hauling an additional 1 kW from battery suite. The Aussie fora show that they are able to cope with semi-split air conditioners which run at between 500 and 750 W. They also have much smaller RVs (caravans).

Reed

Tags
batteries, solar