Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #1

Advice on Motorhome purchase to Boodock

Hi All!!

New guy here about to enter the RVing world -- again.

I'm not completely new to RVing, but I've not done much. My first RV was a 28' Jayco trailer that I didn't use much. Then 15 years ago I bought a 31' Bounder. I used that a lot while the kids were growing up. We had 6 kids and the Bounder was a great vacation tool.

The kids are all gone now and I just sold the Bounder and the wife and I would like to downsize and boondock.

I'm hoping I can get some good advice on what type RV I should be looking for. Actually, we think we know what we want, but thought I should get advice anyway, just in case we've overlooked something.

We're both experienced wilderness campers. We are certified sea kayak guides/instructors. We've guided trips all over the Great Lakes and for many years owned a sea kayak outfitting business in Greece. This past year we've rebuilt a classic Herreshoff sailboat that we are going to cruise in for a month. So, we're used to living in small places.

Now, what we've decided is that we want a small and simple motorhome. We aren't going to tow a car. We are both cyclists and that will be are mode of transportation when camping. I would like a full bath and my wife would like a slide for more space. Neither one of us feel the need for a separate bedroom. We think that a 22' - 24' class C or B+ would fit the bill. We have looked at many and the R-vision Trail Lite and BT Cruiser look the best to us.

I haven't taken out a loan in so long that I wouldn't know how to go about getting one anymore. We have $22,000, cash, to spend on a motorhome. There seem to be many Trail Lite's and BT Cruisers in that price range along with any number of Class C's.

Our goal is to pay cash for the motorhome this fall, after our cruise, and get out of the Northern Michigan for 2-3 months in the winter. If all goes well we may consider trading in for a a newer version in a couple of years, and maybe -- just maybe -- taking out a small loan to get exactly what our experience will tell us we want.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now we are debating the differences between a Class C (larger, cheaper) and a B+ (better MPG, newer and better ride.)

Thanks in advance,

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest a Class C toy hauler with one slide. Class C will have a greater ground clearance than a Class B. The class C will also allow room for roof solar panels and compartment for generator. The separate garage will allow you to store bikes, kayak's and other equipment inside and separate from the living quarters.

Example: 2007 Gulf Stream Endura Max Gladiator, Toy Hauler
2007 Gulf Stream Endura Max Gladiator, Toy Hauler, 67000 miles, Class "C" in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors
Gulf Stream Endura Max Gladiator Class C Toy Hauler
2007 Gulf Stream Endura Max Gladiator, Toy Hauler, 67000 miles, Class "C" in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors
Four Winds Fun Mover Class C Toy Hauler
New 2010 Fourwinds Fun Mover Class C Toy Haulers For Sale In Greenwood, IN - GRW324698 - Camping World

Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
john,
have you looked at the winnebago via/itaska reyo on the dodge sprinter chassis with the mercedes diesel engine?
i think these moho's will command a premium price at this time of year, but you might find an older one with the 5 cylinder engine for less money.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I suggest a Class C toy hauler with one slide. Class C will have a greater ground clearance than a Class B. The class C will also allow room for roof solar panels and compartment for generator.[/url]
Thanks Doggy,

Hadn't thought about ground clearance. Makes good sense and is the kind of advice I was looking for.

John
Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
john,
have you looked at the winnebago via/itaska reyo on the dodge sprinter chassis with the mercedes diesel engine?
i think these moho's will command a premium price at this time of year, but you might find an older one with the 5 cylinder engine for less money.
Hi Dan,

I've looked at those and, also, some of the smaller offerings like a View/Navion. Maybe in a couple of years, but for now, not in the budget

John
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Look at the Fleetwood Tioga or Jamboree 23E. They were made until 2006 I think. Quite roomy for a short class C because of the slide and only having the overhead bed which leaves more living space. I think Winnebago had a similar floor plan until about 2005 or 2004. I think Jayco also did about the same time. If you don't mind climbing up into the cab over bed you gain pretty good living space but stay with a pretty compact RV(and in your price range.). And it was built on the E-450 Ford Chasis which gives you lots of payload capacity.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #7

Thanks to all who have responded with excellent advice.

Since my last post, we looked at many online offerings and read 100's of pages of information on many motorhomes. Presently, a used Lazy Daze is at the top of our list. There seem to be many in our price range, and although they are a few years older, most have been well kept with good maintenance documentation.

I know that no motorhome will be perfect, but with my background of restoring older items -- wooden sailboats and vintage woodworking machinery -- I think an older Lazy Daze makes sense. Not to the exclusion of anything else, but right now it's what we are, mostly, looking at.

We still have time as our cruise won't be done until the end of summer. At that time we'll make a buy and get it ready for winter.

Thanks to all who have responded.

John
Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Best of luck to you.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #9

Thanks all for the good advice.

We just made a deal for a 22' 1992 Lazy Daze with 2x100 watt solar panels and 432 amp hr. 6 volt batteries. I'll be picking it up this coming Monday in Denver. We think this will serve our purposes very well.

Thanks again,

John
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would keep my eyes open of a used Tiger Motorhome:
Tiger Adventure Vehicles
In fact, I AM keeping my eyes open for one!

Tags
motorhome, purchase