Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

Air conditioning boondocking/dry gas Class A

Can anyone here sleep with their gas class A generator running?

I have spent enough time in my coach with the generator running to know it would be an issue for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
No issues here. If anything it is a constant sound that drowns out all other noises. Done it many times.

Sent from my XT1650 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 03-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #3

It's just a matter of getting used to. Think of all the truckers who are sleeping right on top just about of their refer units, going off and on as the temperature fluctuates.

A generator constant hum is soothing to me, drowning out sounds that would get my attention and break a rest period for me.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

The fan in my air conditioner makes more noise than the generator , so shouldn't be a problem sleeping with it running.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #5

Thanks all,

Thats good to know.

I do have a genturi but have not used it at night yet.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanks all, thats great to know.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Turn the generator on, set the AC to HIGH FAN, so it doesn't kick on an off, and sleep like a baby. No matter what is going on around you. I was parked at a boat race and after a day of racing came back to the RV to find I was parked in the middle of the Late Models pits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2349.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	197125  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

Many years ago, I got used to sleeping near Halliburton cementing pump trucks--it is just a matter of getting used to the constant noise, so much so, you may wake up when the AC cuts off. The suggestion for keeping the fan on constantly has merit....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The constant hum of the generator is very easy to quickly get used to. Same with the A/C fan when you don't have it set to cycle on and off.

Funny story - I did a lot of time at sea during my USN career as a radar/computer tech and the one thing that would always, ALWAYS wake all of us from a dead to the world still half drunk from a last liberty night out in Hong Kong sleep was when the engineers would loose the electrical load and the ship would go cold, dark and quiet. The sudden lack of background noise from blowers, fans, pumps, generators and such is startling when you become use to it. We would make a made dash, half dressed usually, to the equipment spaces to get everything shut off as fast as possible.

Was a rare event and was usually due to something bad happening down in the engineering plant that would normally push us into an all hands evolution (fuel or lube oil leaks). Can't help but to wonder if a few of those drops were a was bored and lonely EOOW.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

Soft foam earplugs work great.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The constant hum of the generator is very easy to quickly get used to. Same with the A/C fan when you don't have it set to cycle on and off.

Funny story - I did a lot of time at sea during my USN career as a radar/computer tech and the one thing that would always, ALWAYS wake all of us from a dead to the world still half drunk from a last liberty night out in Hong Kong sleep was when the engineers would loose the electrical load and the ship would go cold, dark and quiet. The sudden lack of background noise from blowers, fans, pumps, generators and such is startling when you become use to it. We would make a made dash, half dressed usually, to the equipment spaces to get everything shut off as fast as possible.

Was a rare event and was usually due to something bad happening down in the engineering plant that would normally push us into an all hands evolution (fuel or lube oil leaks). Can't help but to wonder if a few of those drops were a was bored and lonely EOOW.

Great story, reminds me of my Navy and Coast Guard days. I now work on a river Towboat. If the generator goes down we are all up immediately. The worst is when we are in a shipyard on shore power. Way to quite!
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Generator and A/C fan are steady and soothing. It is the cycling of the A/C compressor in the bedroom that wakes me, so I solve that by running the forward A/C unit insread. The air from it makes its way to the bedroom and I sleep like a log.

Having said that, I prefer not to sleep with generator on due to concerns about carbon monoxide. Genturi helps but it is still a concern to me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Soft foam earplugs work great.

They sure do.

I like the ones that attached to each other as easy to find during the night if one pops out.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Generator and A/C fan are steady and soothing. It is the cycling of the A/C compressor in the bedroom that wakes me, so I solve that by running the forward A/C unit insread. The air from it makes its way to the bedroom and I sleep like a log.

Having said that, I prefer not to sleep with generator on due to concerns about carbon monoxide. Genturi helps but it is still a concern to me.

Good idea using the forward ac.

I hear you on the carbon Monoxide.

Tags
air, air conditioning, boondocking, class a, gas