Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Hello,

I am searching for possible solutions for keeping an RV cool while doondocking. The assumption is that normal A/C can be used to get the RV cool, then looking for an approach that will maintain that coolness. I don't think swamp coolers will work in my climate.

Rather than using an inverter, has anyone seen in use the air conditioners that work on 12v natively, such as those available http://www.dcairco.com ?

Thanks,
MarkS
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #2

Hello,

I am searching for possible solutions for keeping an RV cool while doondocking. The assumption is that normal A/C can be used to get the RV cool, then looking for an approach that will maintain that coolness. I don't think swamp coolers will work in my climate.

Rather than using an inverter, has anyone seen in use the air conditioners that work on 12v natively, such as those available http://www.dcairco.com ?

Thanks,
MarkS
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Even if you could adapt one of the 12v DC air conditioners manufactured for use in truck sleeper cabs, telecommunications shelters, and train cabs, the energy to run it will need to come from somewhere. If by battery power, you'd need a huge bank of batteries making such an option unrealistic.

I'd suggest a regular RV air conditioner properly sized for your rig and a portable generator with sufficient wattage to start an run the unit. There are several quite running available these days that are pretty good, although they do get pricey as the wattage requirements to run an AC goes up.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarkS:
Hello,

Thanks,
MarkS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

An autostart to cycle the generator when the AC calls can be installed yourself for around $120 for the Onan EC30. This is the route I went and it has worked famously.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #5

Last year, while in eastern Oregon, the temp got over 100 and the insides of my bus was really unbearable.

I was boondocking in a National Forest and my 2K Honda would not start my 15k BTU Coleman rooftop air unit.

Wanting SOME cooing, I went out and bought a 5K window unit, mounted it in a piece or 3/4 inch plywood that fit in an open window on the shade side of my bus conversion RV. My 2000i Honda just purred along at slow RPM, easily running that 5000BTU unit.

Now the best part.... I found that that little window air unit cooled the RV just as good as the rooftop 15000 as long as the sunny side windows were covered FROM THE OUTSIDE, with foil lined bubble wrap, and bedroom door closed, so only cooling 2/3's (about 23 feet).

The combination of covered windows, and the little air conditioner drawing much cooler air from the shade side, instead of very hot rooftop air brought the inside down 20 to 25 degrees. Oh, I also found that aiming the air UP, for was some reason was better than it blowing straight out.

For what it's worth....

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote