Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Airport Overnighting

Today I found myself in a position that I needed to leave my RV behind in Nashville, and fly out of the nashville airport....and wont return til next monday. In a scramble to figure out where i could park my RV for a week safely I called the nashville airport and asked them if their lots accomodated RVs by chance. To my suprise, they said "absolutely" and asked that I please use the economy parking lot and park at the far end of the lot, well out of the way and in an area that rarely gets full. To my suprise, there were 4 other RVs as well as a truck pulling a racing trailer parked there.

After parking, and on the shuttle bus ride to the airport it occured to me.... that there is no reason you couldnt overnight there "in stealth mode of course" and it only costs $6/night!! Well lit, gated, roving security 24/7!!

Wouldnt setup camp there for a week.... but for a quick overnight, may not be a bad option......

I wonder if many airport lots around the country accomodate as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We did this in Piedmont-Triad Airport in the Greensboro-Winston Salem, NC area several years ago. We had a flight leaving at 6:30AM so it was much more convenient to leave the RV there than try to drive from Raleigh with two small kids at 3AM. Same thing, we called ahead and they said no problem, park in the satellite parking and it would be $5 per night.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
that is a great idea! I would have never thought of that. I will have give that some consideration.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

I fly on business several times a year and always put the car in the economy lot. There is always an RV or two in there. I think it's 9.00 a night (everything always more expensive in Chicago) but there are very few camping sites in that metro area. Roving security too.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

I have parked the motorhome at airport lots in Orlando, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, and Lexington. I don't know about overnighting, but a couple of times we parked very early in the morning (like 1 or 2 am) before catching an early flight. Best to call ahead as parking lots at airports tend to be reconfigured frequently.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Isn't it noisy ?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Isn't it noisy ?
Ever slept near a railway track?

'Nuff said.......
Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Have used several rural airports, parking in the general aviation lot, after asking. Most are very accommodating, have found some excellent restaurants also attached.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Never boondocked, but have used the economy lot at Denver Intl Airport. Had to park way out at the end of the lot, but had no problems! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Have used several rural airports, parking in the general aviation lot, after asking. Most are very accommodating, have found some excellent restaurants also attached.

I have my little airport listed on several boondocking websites. Some good karma points and the odd free night-watchmen for me and a few nights free stay for some fellow RV enthusiasts.

Everybody wins!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #11

By RV, I assume motor home? It is hard to imagine pulling a big fiver through an airport parking lot. LOL!
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Isn't it noisy ?
It is and for that reason most airports shut down flight operations at night.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you know this could very well be FREE in Texas and Louisiana
if your a 100% rated disabled veteran, as we can park at any airport for as long as needed free, and not just in the economy lots

i may have to scout a few now on a route we take to Galveston, some very nice small airports along the way
thanks

i think we could even take the shuttle to the arrival gate and grab a hotel shuttle to a nice hotel with a great restaurant
then take the hotel shuttle back after dinner to "catch a flight"
Oh i can see a new group of "airporters" like the wally world and cracker barrel groups
think about it
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #14

I saw a TV report and News article that showed Pilots and Flight attendants living in RVs at airport remote parking lots. I think is was LA. I have seen RVs in the remote lots at DFW airport.