Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #15

Just bumped into this thread. We are new to the Class A RV'n, but have used our Pop-Up for a prospecting camp for 12 years and a tent before that. Personally for me I use a very high end (expensive) detector made by Minelab. They do have a great all around detector that will work for gold nuggets and coin and relic hunting. I bought one for my wife. It is also made by Minelab and is called a Minelab X-Terra705. We both have found gold. I have even found a nice 6.14 oz nugget. If anyone is going to get a detector, get it from a hands on brick and mortar dealer. They can not only give great deals, but can also give lessons that will be very important to shortening a complex learning curve.
This year we are going to be able to camp and prospect in luxury.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #16

Beautiful! $$$$$

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #17

Google up some prospecting forums and read each, you will find a wealth of info in them. Most of the different areas have local prospecting clubs with some claims in their area. Look up some of the different prospecting shops in the areas you want to be around and give them a call, they will guide to some of the local clubs.
The search feature and the internet are your gateway.

Kevin
Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody92354 View Post
All I can say is this: Had 2 different guys(out of 3 total) look at my TT (Travel Trailer/toy hauler style) who wanted to buy it & go out west to Gold prospect...I live in NJ. Just thought this odd. I dunno, maybe it's me? Should have bought Google stock too, I guess!
Between the high price of gold and the Discovery Channel reality shows about folks finding gold, I'm not surprised that "gold fever" is almost as bad as it was in the 1800's. I wonder tho, how many people find enough to cover their expenses and how many actually strike it rich, and how many go broke -- mentally, physically and financially?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Metal Detector and maybe also get into Gold Prospecting.
Do they have any clubs or open claims to camp on. I'm going to install solar panels and extra batteries in the near future. I would like to hear from anybody that has tried this are still involved in it. Thanks for any input.
Before you invest in solar read this

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle HandyBob's Blog

If you follow his principles or make whoever installs your solar meet these standards you can have solar that works. Lots of folks jumping on the solar bandwagon and selling systems without really knowing what they are doing. I could have saved over $700 if I had read and followed Bob's way in the beginning.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Between the high price of gold and the Discovery Channel reality shows about folks finding gold, I'm not surprised that "gold fever" is almost as bad as it was in the 1800's. I wonder tho, how many people find enough to cover their expenses and how many actually strike it rich, and how many go broke -- mentally, physically and financially?
Over my long time prospecting, I have been pretty lucky. But for most people, just finding enough gold to cover expenses is hard to do. I have always considered it as a hobby, that is at times profitable.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #21

I have 2 Garrett GTI 1500 detectors and plan to be in Al/GA in May looking for gold. After 22 years of metal detecting I have found a lot of neat stuff. My first big find was over 400 coins from the 1700's and 1800's. Got me hooked real good.

My detectors are computerized so I know what's down there before I dig and it takes a lot of practice to know how to use one right. Just please cover up any holes you dig. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How would I try metal detecting without spending big bucks? It sounds like fun but... Can I rent a decent detector anywhere? Are there any good websites for beginners that suggest where and how to hunt?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #23

I just got an email showing the meteorite that fell last week at Sutters Mill. Now Sutters Mill is now famous for the meteorite AND the California gold rush. small pieces of the meteorite are worth about as much as gold is now.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
How would I try metal detecting without spending big bucks? It sounds like fun but... Can I rent a decent detector anywhere? Are there any good websites for beginners that suggest where and how to hunt?
I would look on Creigslist for a good used one. People buy them and then get tired of them. Just find one that has a good size meter and different sounds for different metals.
Just Google "treasure hunting" and you will find a lot of info.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #25

I would suggest that you go to a local dealer and talk to them and try out a few machines and go from there.just remember if you buy local they are more willing to help you out verses buying over the net were you will not get any help.that is why I am going to buy a minelab x terra 705 gold when I get to Arizona this winter from Arizona Outback same price as the internet sites but better service, I also have a GoldBug 2 very nice machine