Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #15

A few brands are.

Decon
Just one Bite II
TomCat

The problem with the bags of pelleted type is that the little critters often run off with the pellets and stash them. They still eat it and die, but a lot of your bait gets carried off. Depending on the state, consumer packaged bait may include a plastic bait station to make the bait more pet and child resistant.

If anyone wants to try the home remedies, feel free but to quote a past president: "Trust but verify." Along with the home remedy, use snap traps, sticky boards or other traps to monitor activity. Even after being in pest control for 17 years, I got fooled thinking I didn't have mice in my rig because I never saw any signs. Then one night about a year ago I got an elbow in the side in the middle of the night. No it wasn't a mouse elbow, it was my wife waking me up and telling me to listen. Sure enough, I could hear the little stinker chewing on something back behind the washer/dryer area. Fortunately I carried an electronic mouse trap in a storage compartment, got it, loaded it with peanut butter, turned it on, and stuck it facing the gap between the washer/dryer and the cabinet. I lightly blew across the trap to waft the peanut smell back behind the machine and moved back to watch. A minute later out he came, nose twitching and into the trap he ran. Heard the zapping and sizzling noise as he got fried. Got the little devil! Since then I always keep a trap in the rig 24-7/365.

I used the electronic zap traps (shown in the photo) at work and at home and really liked them but I quit using them in the motorhome when in storage. One dead, month old rotten mouse body decaying inside means it'll need a good cleaning which isn't fun. I'd rather have a cheap, disposable trap I can toss if the mouse and all if he has been there a while.

Hope this info helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomcat-animal-rodent-control.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	184246   Click image for larger version

Name:	victor-animal-rodent-control-m250pro-64_1000.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	184247  

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 04:50 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would like to add......If your outside snap traps start showing up with only 1/2 a mouse, be vigilant. My under coach buffet was being sampled by a rattlesnake. safely relocated by refuge staff.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #17

I made bait block containers out of 1 1/4" pvc with caps drilled about 3/4" holes, I place around the house , garage & sheds, coins can't get the bait out they try, and the mice eat then leave.

Inside I use rat zappers Google them, they never miss and don't get nasty unless you forget about them.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Would like to add......If your outside snap traps start showing up with only 1/2 a mouse, be vigilant. My under coach buffet was being sampled by a rattlesnake. safely relocated by refuge staff.

Wow...
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #19

There is also a treatment called Mouse Free.

Keep Mice and Rodents out of your RV | Mouse Free
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We use peppermint spray in our basements. You can also get some cotton balls and use peppermint oil on them. Put them in a zip lock bag with some holes so the smell can get out. Sry cheap to make, mice and rats simply hate the smell and will stay away. Plus your basement smells great and not musty. Give it a try, it works like a charm.
1989 VW Vanagon Toad "Mallow"
thomasfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Also forgot to add the spray and oil can be found on Amazon. They are both safe for animals and humans to be around.
1989 VW Vanagon Toad "Mallow"
thomasfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #22

See post 6 ... I used to have a pet mouse and can attest that if a mouse can get it's head through any opening, it will contort its body to get in. Personal experience shows sonic repellents are useless. Peanut butter and a snap trap effective.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #23

I use the T Rex Style mouse trap with peanut butter they don't miss and after you catch them just release the trap without touching the mouse
I setup about four traps
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Cheap copper Brillo pads from the dollar store stuffed into all possible points of entry no matter how small.
They will not touch them!

P.S. Same goes for most insects.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #25

A Furry Critter named Tom
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #26

Spartan Chassis
There are a lot of great suggestions here that I am definitely going to try. We have property in the high Oregon desert where these critters are a constant battle. We have tried a lot of things but about the most effective has been bucket traps located strategically around the coach. Small 1 gallon buckets with peanut butter around the upper inside rim down a couple inches with the bottom filled with about 3 inches of water and some kind of ramp for the mice to crawl up will catch mice before they get into the coach. A five gallon version works for rats and mice. There are refinements that I have seen to this trap and all work. We have found as many as 8 mice in one trap just over night.
gravelroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #27

yes, mice have 24/7 to do nothing but figure out how to 'get in' where they want to... it's a constant and never ending battle you'll never 'win', but only will slow them down.

Will they eventually 'go away' when they don't find success? maybe. But the next generation will easily decide to try the same again. The next generation, I believe, is every 4 or 5 weeks! They work fast!

I've found that if you don't physically 'catch' mice, you'll never really know how many that might be 'around' you. When you only catch one every now and then, you might can say you've helped 'contain' them. When you catch several every day, you know there's plenty more where they came from. And, when you haven't caught any in a very long time, you find that something has licked the peanut butter right off the trap!!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #28

If you are using sonic repellent then you have to make sure you get the right play list. If you are in the West don’t get country music it will only attract more mice not repel them away. Try rap. Only mice from a big city like NY or Chicago will be attracted.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote