Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #71

Gulf Streamers Club
There is very little honest testing showing that the electronic sound emitting repellents actually work. https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/...Z1639-2015.pdf

The number of devices and patents climbs each year. A 120 years ago there were many electrical medical devices to cure many human ailments because people didn't know much about electricity, it was thought to be the cure. I think the same is true of these sonic repellants. Don't waste your money. Close up all gaps with bronze or copper wool that varmints can enter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I agree. Unfortunately there reportedly was quite a colony of pack rats a couple of years ago at Gilbert Ray CG (just outside of Tucson, AZ). Sagebrush is fairly abundant there too.

The park ranger has done a pretty good job of cleaning it up since his arrival about a year and a half ago. We camped there Dec of 2016 and 2017. No rat problems for us either time. I still ring our vehicles in lights each night. Don’t want to risk it.
Ahhh…. thanks for bringing back good memories. Gilbert Ray is one of our favorites!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
6 cats. no problems.
Mr. D, You're lucky, we have a total of 7 SEVEN cats in our S & B, 2-3 of which travel with us in the coach.

Of the 7, 5 are indoor only, and the other day, we had a small mouse run across the room and behind the aquarium stand . . . . two cats had it "cornered behind the stand, and then I caught it and disposed of it . . .

Seriously? Don't their parents teach them ANYTHING these days?!?

You would think they would have stayed as far, far away from a house with 7 cats as possible!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The world's best mouse trap is a hungry cat.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
The world's best mouse trap is a hungry cat.
jt
Yep, we're probably feeding ours too well!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #76

Has anyone else actually tried one of the higher end electronic devices? I know for a fact they work. I am pretty sure the small ones that come in packs do very little.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #77

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Has anyone else actually tried one of the higher end electronic devices? I know for a fact they work. I am pretty sure the small ones that come in packs do very little.
I've searched online for honest research into these devices, not much out there. In almost every case, the review or test of the devices is contained within an ad for a competing strategy, not the best source of an honest review. Companies promoting their products have 'tests' but even in some of those tests the device gets turned on and mice scamper about with no effect. Until an independent test proves their effectiveness, I'm keeping my wallet in my pocket.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #78

Sorry guys I haven't read all six pages but here goes I live in a rural area with pasture and wooded area. I've been using Victor electric mouse and rat traps. The smaller mouse traps use 4 double A's appoxemintly 1.5x3.5x6 and the rat trap is a little taller about 4" my point is these guys work by electrocution No mess or torture, or sticky paper plus you can dump in garbage or in field for birds, coyotes, snakes and cats to feast on or go back to mother nature. Just a little peanut butter(I put mine on a small piece of m tape) cheap PB works as good as name brand and for the gourmet killer organic or gluten free

they work in you engine compartment also
I put a link to their site boy they changed sense I started using … linked to your phone, wow

Victor® - The Mouse Trap Company Since 1898
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #79

Just a bad news story

Guys I'm a nature lover also, but when it comes to my personal cars, trucks, rv's the gloves go on. and death to most rodents. and they can't even drive to enjoy but, they can stop you from driving. Horror story, Got home late one night left CTS V caddy out after five hour rest had to run errand drove fine went to part would not shift to shut off. Dealer found and showed rodent teething signs. E warranty does not cover, insurance will but I dug into pocket
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #80

I trained pest control professionals. Three steps are important...all mentioned by others:
1) Deprive them of food and water;
2) Deprive them of access;
3) Add a deterrent...repellent.

#1 is accomplished with housekeeping and maintenance.

#2 is accomplished with barriers. Most rodents' teeth have a hardness just shy of steel. So use steel sheeting and "hardware cloth" screening supplemented by insulation products to create the barriers. Sometimes stainless steel kitchen scrubbers with foam spray can stuff a small crevice, but a large opening won't hold the foam/scrubber combo, because a rat, in particular, can just rip it out. Aluminum flashing is useless. They make short work of chewing through it.

#3 will draw many recommendations. I have had great success with Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent. It's non-toxic, smells pretty good, does not tempt pets to eat it, and it can be placed liberally in compartments AND living spaces. We are overrun with rodents (mostly chipmunks and squirrels) and my 2014 PUP...very easy to enter by critters...has never been invaded.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #81

Almost every farmer/rancher uses herb packs or some type if mouse repellents

They do work and the spray plus the packs is what I use for mice

Nothing we have ever used is extremely effective on pack rats unless it kills them

Electric traps have been the best
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #82

My daughter got the dog and I got the cat when she went to college. The cat has grown to tolerate the new life style. She has come to serve a purpose.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #83

Get rid of mice?

Who will clean up the crumbs on the floor?
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #84

We use cab fresh. It works great, no rodents.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote