Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #15

Fort Desoto Campground

I thought everyone knew about this place. Or so it seems. Next to impossible to get in but good luck. Very highly reviewed:
Ft Desoto
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llohdav View Post
Thank you guys for the replies! We parked at a Walmart parking lot in Naples. I was hesitant to do so since city ordinance said no, but Walmart said they didn't mind. I found 5 other RVs that have been staying there from 5-15 days no problem. Hmm. Booked a state park in key largo tomorrow. Now, Heading to the Naples Ritz for dinner lol I think it's funny we stay at Walmart and dine at the Ritz. Love RVing!
Wow, we boat along the west coast of FL. Naples has a 8 day limit on living aboard your boat, at any of their marinas.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
We parked at a Walmart parking lot in Naples. I was hesitant to do so since city ordinance said no, but Walmart said they didn't mind. I found 5 other RVs that have been staying there from 5-15 days no problem. Hmm. Booked a state park in key largo tomorrow. Now, Heading to the Naples Ritz for dinner lol I think it's funny we stay at Walmart and dine at the Ritz. Love RVing!
This is the kind of thing that will soon close that and other WalMarts to OVERNIGHT parking - and it has been done. WalMart is not a long-term boondocking place. It's for a quick overnight!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'm sorry but I've been to Texas and witnessed their poor excuse for a beach. It's not Fl.😃
Fire suit is on
And I've been to Florida and lived in the Bahamas.... Florida beaches import sand from the Bahamas.... 'nuff said.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 AM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Thank you guys for the replies! We parked at a Walmart parking lot in Naples. I was hesitant to do so since city ordinance said no, but Walmart said they didn't mind. I found 5 other RVs that have been staying there from 5-15 days no problem. Hmm. Booked a state park in key largo tomorrow. Now, Heading to the Naples Ritz for dinner lol I think it's funny we stay at Walmart and dine at the Ritz. Love RVing!
we did the same recently during Christmas in Clearwater, SandKey, MadeiraBeach, StPeteBeach, and Dunedin area Walmarts and similar large corporate and church parking lots...
loved SandKeyBeachPark ... $5 all day RV parking right next to the beach, bath house and showers...
loved HoneymoonBeachSP ...$8 all day RV parking right next to the beach, with a pet friendly beach and pet wash areas... a few RVs also parked free overnight along the causeway

...sshhhhh, don't tell anyone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	148897  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
we did the same recently during Christmas in Clearwater, SandKey, MadeiraBeach, StPeteBeach, and Dunedin area Walmarts and similar large corporate and church parking lots...

loved SandKeyBeachPark ... $5 all day RV parking right next to the beach, bath house and showers...

loved HoneymoonBeachSP ...$8 all day RV parking right next to the beach, with a pet friendly beach and pet wash areas... a few RVs also parked free overnight along the causeway

...sshhhhh, don't tell anyone!!

Wow! Thank you!!! I appreciate everyone's feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is the kind of thing that will soon close that and other WalMarts to OVERNIGHT parking - and it has been done. WalMart is not a long-term boondocking place. It's for a quick overnight!

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:22 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I thought everyone knew about this place. Or so it seems. Next to impossible to get in but good luck. Very highly reviewed:
Ft Desoto
We drove through Ft Desoto a month ago in our car, just to check it out. Very nice park, but we were very surprised to see it half empty. Not sure if they hold sites open for walk-ins or what.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
We drove through Ft Desoto a month ago in our car, just to check it out. Very nice park, but we were very surprised to see it half empty. Not sure if they hold sites open for walk-ins or what.
We stayed there a total of two weeks about a month ago and most sites were taken, and getting a site was difficult. Perhaps you were there while people were shifting around? Also, I think the pet friendly sites stay a bit more full.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #24

@twinboat "Oh, beach's are very different. South Shore, Long Island NY # 1. Jersey Shore #2. Northern Florida #3." he obviously does know what he's talking about

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #25

Not to give away a decent place so close to home... But the Sanibel Causeway which I cross on a daily routine at times, almost always has one or two RV's setup and enjoying the what is actually a Lee County Park for a day or three at a time.

On weekends there will be five to ten spread out along the shore, but keep in mind during the summer months the causeway beach can get pretty packed with large groups and families, so once you've parked you may not be able to pull out until all of the other traffic has left the beach at the end of the day.

But the best part perhaps, would be parked on the North side of the causeway, on the first area after going over the main bridge just after paying the $6 toll....for the end of the day sunsets.
Sanibel BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #26

Have friends that boondocked on incredible beaches in Yucatan 20 years. Now they have all been bought up for Five Star resorts and billionaire getaways. The same is beginning to happen to West Coast of Mexico as well. Places we boondocked 40 years ago are now gated expat communities and resorts. You cannot go home again.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, florida