Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Anyone stay overnight in Kansas I 70 rest area?

Heading West on next trip. I see from another post that Kansas has made dedicated loops away from the truck and car lots that you can stay 24 hours at.
just wondering what your opinion is if you've stayed at night. Feel safe enough?
I like the idea, easy off and back on in the morning, they have a dump station if you need it and seems as good as a overnight wallydock but not sure about the safety factor.
Hope to hear from you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Being from Kansas and living right off I70 we use the dump stations some on the way home. Have never overnighted at one but would not really be afraid. We travel with a small arsenal so not much to be afraid of anyway. But you can never be too careful or safe.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Being from Kansas and living right off I70 we use the dump stations some on the way home. Have never overnighted at one but would not really be afraid. We travel with a small arsenal so not much to be afraid of anyway. But you can never be too careful or safe.
KSCRUDE - hope all is well. Can you recommend a campsite in your area? We are passing through on our way to Iowa.

Thanks in advance.

Dutch
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
KSCRUDE - hope all is well. Can you recommend a campsite in your area? We are passing through on our way to Iowa.

Thanks in advance.

Dutch
At mile marker 199, Dorrance Kansas exit you go about 7 miles north to the Manaka Park camp ground at Lake Wilson. USA Army Corp campground. Huge place with many sites on the south shore of Lake Wilson, which has the clearest water in Kansas. Large man made lake with 1400 miles of shoreline. Full hookups available for about $17 per night. Not very many people there after Labor Day, so many sites will be open. You can camp and plug in for free from November first to about April first, but no water is available during these months. They have several nice large bath houses at this site also. Very peaceful and quite this time of year. They do not charge for trailers or toads. I 70 is about 400 miles long and this puts you smack dab in the middle of Kansas, and about 50 miles from the geographical center of the USA. We have been camping there for over forty years. They also offer senior discounts, but we are not old enough for this for a few more years. We have a private campground about 50 miles to the west at the 153 Yocemento exit. This is 200 feet off the interstate and we have full hookups at our place of business. We also have full hookups at our home 5 miles south of the 163 Toulon exit about 10 miles to the east. Just let me know when your coming through.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

We have two days to make it from Southern Indiana to Colorado Springs, CO so won't be spending much time in Kansas but the COE campground mentioned on the lake sounds interesting.
May check it out in the future when we can tour Kansas. Thanks for the suggestion and reply about the rest area.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don
I had to go look at your lake, I live on the largest lake in WA Lake FDR (Roosevelt) it is 150 miles long and only has ~640miles of shore line and is over 125 sq. Miles.
I wanted to see what a "Large man made lake with 1400 miles of shoreline." looked like. At only a little over 9,000 acres. lol

But thanks for the info, we get up that way every once in a while. My Dad was born in Fredonia. 105 yrs ago.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Don
I had to go look at your lake, I live on the largest lake in WA Lake FDR (Roosevelt) it is 150 miles long and only has ~640miles of shore line and is over 125 sq. Miles.
I wanted to see what a "Large man made lake with 1400 miles of shoreline." looked like. At only a little over 9,000 acres. lol

But thanks for the info, we get up that way every once in a while. My Dad was born in Fredonia. 105 yrs ago.
Yes I blew the shoreline on that post. I just looked it up also. You are right, 9,000 acres and just over 100 miles of shoreline. Grand lake in Oklahoma has 47,000 acres and 1,300 miles of shoreline. My dad was born in Virgle KS in Greenwood county not far from Fredonia 104 years ago. Grand Lakes saying is they have more shoreline then California!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Most every town along US-40 which parallels I-70 has city campgrounds that are very nice. They were once roadside rest in conjunction with city parks. Can not give specifics but every time I go that way I can find one. Maybe I am just good a seat of my pants camping. No reservations or plan, just faith.