Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #15

The TurboKool is a 12 volt machine. It will run off my 7 solar panels and my wind generator. I have wired one of my solar arrays (three 75 watt panels) so that it can directly power the swamp cooler motor. The thing sounds like a B-36 bomber!!! I can also power the motor from the system or the batteries.

When boondocking the 12 volt water pump supplies the water to the swamp cooler. I recently installed an RO system in the hopes of getting more use out of the swamp cooler pad before I have to decrust it.

Even now with RH higher I let the TurboKool run on low and run the Air Conditioner. That way the AC has more to GRAB onto when it cools the air inside down.

The TurboKool has gotten me through some 116 degree days with the inside temperature staying 26 degrees lower (at times). Usually 4:00 pm is the hottest time of the day. If I start the swamp cooler up very early in the morning (5:00 AM) I can sometimes get the temp down to 68 degrees inside and this makes a difference when 4:00 PM rolls around. The dryer the air is in the early morning the more of a LEAD you can get on the heat of the day.

One still needs an AC.

David/zetron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #16

David, I see Yagi cellular antennas on Ebay for $18 to $20. Is there anything I should know before buying one?

Old 07-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #17

I don't think so.

David/zetron
Old 07-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #18

David, did you ever find an answer to this question?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need a $15.00/year permit to camp on State Land. It says in the literature that the permit allows "14 days/year" of camping on State Land. Does this mean only 14 days on all the State Trust land in Arizona or is it like the BLM? You can camp 14 days on BLM land and then you need to leave and go 25 miles away if you wish to continue camping on BLM land. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #19

Doggie: I think it is like the BLM. It would not make sense to give you only 14 days per year?

David/zetron
Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #20

I found a great site outside of Yuma at Mittry Lake where they restrict camping at lake sites to only 10 days per calendar year. If you are off the lake then the 14 day BLM limit applies. This is the only spot where I've seen an annual limit.

Still trying to talk my wife into getting a solar array for the rig. We just got ourselves a pretty good and quiet generator off Ebay that runs the AC when it gets just a bit too warm in the rig for her naps. But we try to stay at spots where it is a lot cooler.

I like the idea of getting a permit. Thanks for the input on that. I just love this forum!

Good camping!

David

2003 Keystone Hornet 32'
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #21

Hi David. I spent a couple nights at Mittry Lake last winter. It is very nice. It's about 5 degrees warmer in the Yuma area than it is in Quartzsite. I also spent several weeks just west of Yuma, on BLM land by Felicity, CA.
Perhaps the best thing about the Yuma area is Algodones, Mexico. It is a very clean and orderly border town that's a great place to shop and/or have a few beers or margatitas. A haircut and beard trim is $3. I'll be seeing the dentist, the drugist and maybe the eye doctor there this year.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #22

David/Zetron, you are right, it wouldn't make much sense. There is also the enforcement issue. While I have never abused the 14 day rule, I do know that a lack of personnel prevents the BLM, and presumably the trust, from keeping track of who has been where and for how long. The BLM did have someone at Mittry Lake, who put a permit on my rig, but I got to know a couple of the guys by Quartzsite and they said they could care less how long someone had been there as long as they didn't cause trouble.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:43 AM   #23

Doggie: At Quartzsite I usually spend the $140.00 for the permit and stay in Laposa South. That amount of money is less than what you would pay for one month in a regular RV park and it is good for half a year.

This year with the State Trust Permit I will have a wider choice of boondocking locations. I already have many sites in the southwest that very few people know about, and only the dareing with proper rigs can get to.

There is an additional consideration; I now tow my car. The car clearance is not as good as the motorhome, which limits where I can go with both. Also, I am not too sure I want to take the car from a remote boondocking site and leave my motorhome open to being stolen? Usually the places I boondock at I am alone.

David/zetron
Old 07-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #24

My situation is exactly the opposite. My class A has very low clearance but my Suzuki will go anywhere. My dog is also 9 months old now, and nobody in their right mind would try anything when he is around.
Does that $140 at Laposa South include water, a dumpster and a waste tank dump?
Old 07-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #25

Yes, but you have to go and get the water, go to the dumpster and the dump site.

You can camp anywhere in the LTVA system with the $140 pass. That opens up the Imperial Dam site, and a site west of Yuma Piliot Knob. This last site is so uneven that it is difficult to park there.

I have Coast to Coast, Escapee's, Happy Camper, Arizona State Trust Pass, and Good Sam. These open up lots of possiblities for me in addition to boondocking.

I have found that living in a motorhome requires lots of contigency plans to get the best times and lowest costs.

In the winter I will spend several months in LTVA. During the RV show in Quartzsite the traffic becomes so dense that a car is out of the question. I bought an electric scooter in January. I will take the car from Magic Circle in Laposa South to Laposa West, park it there and scooter into Quartzsite.

I find that at these shows there are things I buy but cannot install until about 6 months later. I am just about "teched out" so I hope I only buy small things this coming year.

In Yuma you definitely need a car. Next time I will have mine along. You cannot park overnight in Yuma but there are some BLM sites much closer than Imperial Dam LTVA. Oh yes, one of the things I do not like about southeastern California is the pesticides and pollutants there in the Imperial Valley area. I have had some reactions there

As far as my car goes, I need the Remco Lube Pump installed and the US Gear Unified Braking System finished up. It is hard to find someone to do these things.

The place I am at now had three car thefts in the last two weeks. I do not think I want to leave anything here and go someplace.

David/zetron
Old 08-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #26

I know what you mean about being teched out and 6 months. I just bought my RV in October of last year and not only did it need work, I needed to get solar power, an inverter, new batteries, a propane heater, wireless internet, a Suzuki, a tow bar and a dog.
BTW, there is a new Walmart going up in Blythe. I don't know if it is ready yet, or when it will be ready. I only know it is conveniently located just north of the interstate at the 1st exit going west.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #27

I do not like California, they have too many people and too many stupid laws.

If you stay there be sure you check what you can and cannot have in your motorhome!!

David/zetron
Old 08-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #28

Hmmm. There are very few people, if any, between Blythe and Felicity, and Winterhaven isn't exactly a big city. What can you NOT have in a motorhome in CA that you can have in AZ???