Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2005, 04:52 AM   #1

I like to boondock here in Arizona. Half of the BLM type land in this state is designated State Trust Land. You need a $15.00/year permit to camp on State Land.

It says in the literature that the permit allows "14 days/year" of camping on State Land. Does this mean only 14 days on all the State Trust land in Arizona or is it like the BLM? You can camp 14 days on BLM land and then you need to leave and go 25 miles away if you wish to continue camping on BLM land.

David/zetron
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2005, 04:52 AM   #2

I like to boondock here in Arizona. Half of the BLM type land in this state is designated State Trust Land. You need a $15.00/year permit to camp on State Land.

It says in the literature that the permit allows "14 days/year" of camping on State Land. Does this mean only 14 days on all the State Trust land in Arizona or is it like the BLM? You can camp 14 days on BLM land and then you need to leave and go 25 miles away if you wish to continue camping on BLM land.

David/zetron
Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 AM   #3

Hello David. Please let us know where the state permits are available from. I spent much of the winter in AZ on BLM land and the only trust land I saw prohibited not only camping, but trespassing as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #4

Doggie: Just look into the Arizona government web sites. I found the site and downloaded the form, filled it out and sent it in. I am waiting for the permit to come in the mail.

I was thrown off a piece of State land south of Wickenburg. They asked me for my permit, and I said I did not know what they were talking about. The guy said I had seen the sign when I came in. I told him i DID NOT SEE ANY SIGN. I had come up a different cow path.

When you consider that approximately half the public BLM type lands in Arizona are State lands and you do a lot of boondocking it pays to pay $15.00/year for the permit. Even if you only stayed two weeks; that would be about $1.00 a night!

David/zetron
Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #5

That's where I was, about 10 miles south of Wickenburg, just west of Morristown on Gates Rd.
I met a few locals there. One was real nice, and one called the sheriff and lied, saying I was on trust land and had been there for 3 weeks.
I was on BLM land and had been there a week. The deputy verified where I was on his map and told me to enjoy the rest of my stay.
There were lots of rattlesnakes there, so I left shortly after that anyway.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #6

Doggie: I was further north and west. Just south of Wickenburg on Vulture Peak road. THe State Officers did not seem to be out there especially to ticket me, they had something else to do at that location.

I must have been just inside the State Trust "square" at that site. When they left I used my global positioning device and located my site; I was indeed on State land.

From that time on I always locat my position using GPS when boondocking and compare that to my DeLorma and hardcopy maps to see if I am on State Land, Private Land, Indian Land, Within city limits etc. Those enforcement people can br such jerks. I like to find places to boondock where NOBODY goes, and the ranger comes by and tells me I have 14 days left after I have already been there for 14 days!

David/zetron
Old 07-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #7

Zetron, I would have much rather been camping over there by Vulture, but I need to have access to a digital wireless network access when I camp. I have been using Sprint, but I will be switching to Verizon shortly and I believe their coverage will open up a lot more territory in AZ.
Are you a prospector?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:22 AM   #8

Doggie: Yes I am a prospector, I have a White's metal detector. Haven't used it much.

Verizon is the best cellphone service for boondockers in the West. I am here at Yarnell which is suppose to be a dead spot for Verizon. I have my homemade Yagi beam cellular antenna on top of the Wineguard TV antenna and I am getting a respectable 54% signal pointing it in this one direction North. I made the Yagi out of PVC pipe , #8 gauge Aluminum ground wire and a piece of coax for about $10.00. The Yagi is especially useful in seperating Verizon from the other carriers so my Verizon Mobile Office does not get yanked onto another system.

My State permit has come in the mail to my mail forwarding person and will be here in Yarnell next week.

As far as prospecting is concerned I also collect radioactive mineral specimens. I picked up some really HOT ROCKS at the Quartzsite Gem and Mineral show. They are very attractive and very hot (20,000 counts per minute on the geiger counter). They make great room air ionizers. One has to be careful handling them as the radioactive minerals will flake off onto your hands, also they need to be displayed at least 4 feet from any areas where people will be present for more than 15 minutes. I am waiting on a Radon gas detector to be sure that this gas is not pooling in low areas of my motorhome from the radioactive rocks.

Another consideration is that certain law enforcement agencies are placing sensitive radioactive detectors along highways to try and find terrorist with dirty bomb making materials. If I pasted one of those I would have to explain to them about my radioactive rock collection! It is not illegal to have such a collection.

David/zetron
Old 07-20-2005, 04:44 AM   #9

Thanks for the info David. I have thought about a cellular antenna and/or amplifier and never thought about putting it up on top of the Winegard. I bought an old RV last fall and haven't been able to rotate the antenna until recently. I not only had to use a hammer to get the base loose, I had to hammer it all the way around (360) because it was so locked up.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #10

I received my State Trust Pass today. It comes with a tag to place on your rearview mirror.

I am up at Yarnell above the heat. This is a peaceful place. It has a grocery, hardware, and two restaurants. It is cheap too and you get free cable.

I have a White metal detector but have never used it. This area is suppose to have gold in it.

I would like to find a detailed map that shows all the State Trust Land; hopefully on CR Rom. I have the DeLorme CD Rom maps but they do not show the State Trust Lands. Of course you cannot prospect on State Trust Lands.

I recently replaced my Wineguard TV antenna's aluminium masts with fiberglas ones. I converted the Batwing TV antenna into a 20 meter Ham dipole. I did not want the metal masts possibly interferring. Also, I will mount two wires on one of the fiberglas masts to form a 2 meter verticle dipole. Using insulated wire I have found you need less wire to make the dipole than bare wire (loading effect). I will add a director and reflector to my 2 meter dipole by using thin insulated wire connected to the metal batwing at the appropriate locations. These thin insulated wires will have lead sinkers attached to them so they stretch out verticle. I will have to get use to letting the wires stop moving after I change the antenna's direction before transmitting. With this arrangement I do not have to go up on the roof, just crank up the TV antenna and I have a 2meter verticle Yagi, 20 and 6 meter dipole, and possibly the cellular Yagi.

David/zetron
Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 AM   #11

David, I see that temps Yarnell are 10 to 15 degrees above average. Has this been the case all summer?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #12

Doggie: I don't know? I only know that the temperature is 20 degrees cooler than down at the North Ranch south of Congress. It is getting humid enough that my TurboKool swamp cooler isn't cooling things off too well, will have to go to the air conditioner.

There is a fire up here J Canyon fire that is about 6 miles from the town.

David/Zetron
Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #13

I heard about that fire and a bunch of others in other states. I have free electricity where I'm at in SD now and have had at least one of my AC units going most of the time for about a month.
What is a TurboKool swamp cooler?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #14

Doggie,
a swampcooler is a big sponge full of water
with a fan blowing and the other side, they work realy well here in arizona because its so dry here (like right now weve got the air conditionar going because of the monsoon season) but when the dew point is below id say 45%
they werk very good thats why Zetron is having problems with it the dew point is about 50% 54 right now.. once the dewpoint comes down a little he will be in heavon...

now ive got a question for Zetron is the whole thing 12volt or is the fan run off 110volts, ive been thinking about getting or building my own swampcooler for my 5th wheel we always go without hookups, and id like to get a swampcooler going on only 12volts but the fan ya use is usally run at 110volts