Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 AM   #1

Auto generator start and Fantastic fan questions.

My 2005 Damon Daybreak does not have an AGS or fantastic fans. I have a powered bathroom fan and a non powered kitchen one.

We live in Michigan and only dry camp in April/May and Sept/Oct as like having air con from June-Aug.

We only plan to keep the coach for another 2-3 seasons as will be in the position to cash purchase something newer then.

We do have a genturi if I need to run the generator and have two 12volt Usb fans, also a 110volt that can run off our inverter.

I am thinking its not worth doing but what do folk think?

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Stephen-

OK, I read your post again and see the question: "Should I install an AGS?" My question to you is: What problem do you have now that you think AGS would solve?

The follow-up questions will be:

1) How many house batteries does your coach have?
2) What are their voltages and amp-hour ratings?
3) How old are they?
4) Have you had recent problems with the batteries or the charging system?
5) Does your coach have a converter in addition to the inverter?
6) Make/model/year for the converter and inverter?
7) What loads (120V and 12V) are you running, and for how long, between generator starts?
8) When do you run the generator, and for how long?
9) What make, model and age is the generator?
10) Does the generator start every time without problems?
11) Does the generator have an inside (the coach) start button that works?
12) How often do you check the battery cell water levels and specific gravities?

You don't have to answer these right off, but they will need to be answered if you respond with "I may want an AGS because my house battery bank runs out overnight after running the generator for 3 hours before we go to bed."
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Auto generator start and Fantastic fan questions.

I’m a little confused by the question but ... You can run a generator fine without a genturi ,or exhaust fans on Unless you have a “problem” excess smoking , etc you can be in your RV windows and vents closed with the generator running . If your smelling fumes you have another issue . If not every coach would come with a Genturi as standard equipment , and they don’t
We run the generator, a 12.5kw diesel while boondocking in the desert several hours on cloudy cool days with no fans on.
A Genturi is a courtesy device when your packed like sardines at a rally etc so your exhaust isn’t pointing directly at you neighbors door / patio .. not to keep you from being gassed out. At least that’s my take. For safety sake co2 monitors working and generator running properly of course.
AGS is useful with pets in the summer , or medical devices that need power , protecting battery levels etc. we have one built into our inverter controller but don’t use it. But again running a generator and using exhaust fans are not codependent
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
YC1

I would drop in a fantastic fan in the bathroom tomorrow. No need for all the fancy rain sensors or temp controls. A fantastic vent cover works perfectly to keep any rain out. They come off with four little pins.

Having the fan in the bathroom serves two purposes. The second is to use it as a whole house fan while keeping the noise out of the living areas.

They are very easy to install.

I can easily live without our AGS but would not live without the fans.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Upon re read and the responses I see I saw your question incorrectly.
AGS ....no unless as has been stated already you have an issue to address. Fantastic fan or one of the competitors.. sure , not real expensive and very useful.
If I knew for sure I was selling I wouldn’t do anything that I didn’t see as throw out item , something I wanted and would buy to use during my remaining ownership but would add no real “ value” that I could get back but I still wanted it.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks all,

It was indeed for pets I was looking at the AGS.

Tags
fan, generator