Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

AZ boondocking sites - atv and big rig friendly

Looking for some new destinations... Will be at Q again this season... Haven't been to Imperial Dam area yet..
Wickenburg? Any choices there?
Campingkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It might be easier to list where you can NOT boondock in AZ. Lots of BLM land. I use Google maps satellite view to start looking in a new area. My favorite is La Posa South at Q, but when I want to border hop there is a 2 week free area behind the VFW north of Yuma. I usually see RVs near the road to the border crossing, but that is California and I can’t risk taking the RV there because of their horrid monkey laws.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

Check out Senators Wash down by the Yuma proving ground for a start. There's some up towards Lake Havasu as well. Go to BLM offices and get maps. Used to be you could get several areas at one office now they only have their areas. There's an office in Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma and Lake Havasu that I know of. Last year I wanted one for Painted Rocks @ Gila Bend and was told to go to Phoenix. Then I wanted one near Ajo and was told to go to Tucson. Makes no sense but get them before you need them. If you are an Escapee subscribe to Days End. Lots of boondocking info. Happy trails.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

We camp on E96 Ranch Road - https://freecampsites.net/#!31399&query=sitedetails

I have a 35ft travel trailer and have no issues. There are a lot of big spots and I see motor-homes and fifth-wheels out there all the time.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

Hot Well Dunes

Do a search on hot well dunes Safford AZ. BLM land with atv dunes and hot springs.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #6

okmunky,
we crossed in California to Pilot Knob , Ogilby road , and back to Imperial Dam AZ , quite often ,never had any problem ,
by the way what is VFW ?
Dan
BigDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Veterans of Foreign Wars
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

Lots of them, some I share. They are in Days End
Old 11-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan1 View Post
okmunky,
we crossed in California to Pilot Knob , Ogilby road , and back to Imperial Dam AZ , quite often ,never had any problem ,
by the way what is VFW ?
Dan
Dan,

Sadly, I have run into crusading type people who think "all monkeys belong in the jungle" and wouldn’t hesitate to contact authorities. I'm told she could be confiscated. I won’t risk that.

My response to the crusaders - I'll listen to anything you have to say after you have spent 2 nights in the jungle as a monkey would-without any modern conveniences. So far no takers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Dan,

Sadly, I have run into crusading type people who think "all monkeys belong in the jungle" and wouldn’t hesitate to contact authorities. I'm told she could be confiscated. I won’t risk that.

My response to the crusaders - I'll listen to anything you have to say after you have spent 2 nights in the jungle as a monkey would-without any modern conveniences. So far no takers.
Monkey as in spider monkey?
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
Monkey as in spider monkey?
No, as in capuchin - smaller and much smarter than spider monkey. If you've seen the "Night at the Museum" movies like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD44707F-D9C5-45CF-B1BF-E3B739796FDD.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	183855  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #12

We do a lot of camping and ATV riding out in Tombstone at the base of the Dragoon Mountains. There’s tons of mine shafts and trails out there to explore. Also have a lot of luck in Patagonia at Gardner Canyon just North of Sonoita. The AZ trail runs from Patagonia all the way to Northern AZ and the views are absolutely amazing! Have seen a lot of bigger rigs all along those areas. What are you riding for an ATV?
Old 12-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

We'll have to check that out.
Plstype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Check out Alamo Lake State Park, good fishing there this year, water level is up.
Great place for ATV/UTV & 4 Wheelers. Boondocking in the desert, near the lake (I am using the SP as a point of reference as the area is HUGE). Check out Wayside Oasis RV Park it is a Off Grid Campground that has Runs out of the park, Poker Runs. The Boondockers cruise in there for burgers and such.
If you jump on US-60 towards Wickenburg , I have put a link for Google Maps.
Alamo Lake is about 24 miles from US-60, I heard it's a shorter drive from US-93. Pack in everything you need, a store run is about a 50 mile round trip. But for dumping and resupplying fresh water you can use Oasis RV Park or the State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...4d-113.5698741

Tags
boondocking