Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
If you're comfortable to be seen/not be seen go right ahead. Make sure the water is draining away from your site and not puddling around your tires and jacks, and of course don't drain the water towards your neighbor.
That was one of the big things I was wondering about... drainage. I practice hard for hours a day and there just can't be a missed shower or Dixie the Wonder Dog would refuse to sleep with me :P

If I'm out somewhere for two weeks, drainage could be a real issue depending on the slope of the site... I saw a nice teak wood pallet-like base someone built to stand on and thought that with a little modification it could direct drainage as well as disperse water so I don't leave behind a swamp.

I've poked around the BLM and National Forest sites and don't see a whole lot that would specifically address this... thus my tongue in cheek initial post. Like I said, I've read in various places on the 'net that some folks speak with the rangers when they get there, etc., but I like to be able to plan ahead... of course, if it really IS on a location by location basis then I can always make some phone calls before moving I suppose.

TheJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
we use ours to rinse off the kids' sandy or muddy feet prior to going inside and that's about it. While it's not a huge bonus to have it is nice to have on occasion.
I found a great article from Truck Camper magazine where they posted 149 comments regarding exterior showers and they ranged from "I never use it and wish I could have not had it put in" all the way to "Couldn't live without one"... http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/q...de-rv-showers/

Since this was kind of a longer term off-the-grid forum (Boondocking), I kind of figured I'd find like-minded folks as far as the advantages of using one but understand entirely not everyone "camps" the same way :P

Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just read an article saying urinating in the shower was the green thing to do. The amount of shower water required to wash the urine down the drain was less than the typical flush even with adding the additional 29 secs it take to urinate there was still a net saving of something like 0.7 gallons per urination. Millions of gallons of water saved annually.

Not sure how to factor this in to the gray water / urine debate.

How sure how bored do you need to be to decide to study this issue?????
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #18

If there are tent campers, AND the CG does not provide either a dishwashing station or grey/dishwater dump...then grey water gets scattered (tents lack holding tanks...). Some of our CGs are being loved to death, so the above-mentioned facilities are provided. If so, then no grey water on the ground. We've used shower tents in the past at USFS CGs without issue. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #19

Yes you'll need duckboards to stand on although teak would be rather upscale LOL.

I've usually managed to dig a little trench with a hand shovel, just a few feet.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #20

Depends on where you go and what states you are in. A few years ago we went to Death Valley with a group of friends. One of the group had a trailer and they didn't want to overuse their grey water tanks so he had a set up to drain the kitchen sink into a pail outside that he would dump at the restroom when it got full. He "accidentally" let it run over, and a Park Ranger came by and warned him not to let any grey water drain onto the ground. The guy emptied the pail immediately as the Ranger warned him, and waited for him to do so. The next day he "accidentally" let it overfill again and the Ranger came back and wrote him a ticket that ended up costing him over $300.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #21

I built a 24"x24" slatted platform out of redwood, varnished and then waxed. Use it all the time with a pop up shower enclosure. Never had a problem but, we did a lot of off grid camping. Federal parks could be a problem however.

As a professional helicopter pilot, most of my contracts were on forest fires or exploration. Never left home without my tent, sleeping bag, cooking kit and my portable shower that I just laid out in the sun to heat up. Didn't use a shelter and nobody else did either. We had two female geologists that insisted on a screen but was not a problem, we were all professionals and not a bunch of horny 14 year old kids.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
If there are tent campers, AND the CG does not provide either a dishwashing station or grey/dishwater dump...then grey water gets scattered (tents lack holding tanks...). Some of our CGs are being loved to death, so the above-mentioned facilities are provided. If so, then no grey water on the ground. We've used shower tents in the past at USFS CGs without issue. ST
Good information, thanks!
Old 06-24-2016, 02:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Yes you'll need duckboards to stand on although teak would be rather upscale LOL.

I've usually managed to dig a little trench with a hand shovel, just a few feet.
Hah, duckboards, I KNEW there had to be a name for it! Teak holds up well to repeated soakings and sunshine, that's all :P

And I have to ask... what, pray tell, is the "gnat line"?
Old 06-24-2016, 02:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
I built a 24"x24" slatted platform out of redwood, varnished and then waxed. Use it all the time with a pop up shower enclosure. Never had a problem but, we did a lot of off grid camping. Federal parks could be a problem however.

As a professional helicopter pilot, most of my contracts were on forest fires or exploration. Never left home without my tent, sleeping bag, cooking kit and my portable shower that I just laid out in the sun to heat up. Didn't use a shelter and nobody else did either. We had two female geologists that insisted on a screen but was not a problem, we were all professionals and not a bunch of horny 14 year old kids.
Good info, thanks.... kind of figured national parks would be out, but BLM, USFS etc. I was kind of figuring would be OK in general. Again, tempered by "do no harm"...

Heh, personal modesty is not one of my hangups luckily, but discretion IS the better part of valor
Old 06-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #25

The Gnat Line is the location below the piedmont along the coastal plain where, coastwise of that line, the air is full of sand gnats and no-see-ums. Seriously. LOL

South of the Gnat Line: Gnat Line 101
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuggler View Post
I see many RVs being listed as having an "exterior shower". I understand this is just a tap from the water line and hot water heater. To ME, a shower means soap, otherwise you're just rinsing off dust with a water hose.

For those with kids, dogs, dirty or muddy hobbies or those of us who like to get in the oceans, merely getting a fresh water rinse is a BIG bonus.

For years I've kept a large deep boot tray in the m/h, I fill it with water and leave it next to the steps if I'm in a sandy area. Just touching feet or shoes to water makes all the sand drop into the tray. It makes for a big savings in keeping the coach clean.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Just read an article saying urinating in the shower was the green thing to do. The amount of shower water required to wash the urine down the drain was less than the typical flush even with adding the additional 29 secs it take to urinate there was still a net saving of something like 0.7 gallons per urination. Millions of gallons of water saved annually.

Not sure how to factor this in to the gray water / urine debate.

I find it hard to believe that someone actually did a study about that and reported the findings. Must have been a gov't funded program.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Read - BIG government grant.

Tags
door