Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I find it hard to believe that someone actually did a study about that and reported the findings. Must have been a gov't funded program.
Could;t find the one I read but this similar

Why You Should Pee As You Shower, According To Mathematics | IFLScience
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #30

FWIW - biodegradable soap is easily found in any backpacking oriented store.

The issue of gray water pollution is one of the local geography. If the local soil can handle the bio load and one is not too close to the water then it should be no issue. Any place I tent camped where it was there was also some kind of facility to do the dishes at. No idea why some deserts have an issue.

The only thing we use the outdoor shower for is hand washing after tank dumping. Very handy for that. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
The Gnat Line is the location below the piedmont along the coastal plain where, coastwise of that line, the air is full of sand gnats and no-see-ums. Seriously. LOL

South of the Gnat Line: Gnat Line 101
Now THAT is good information! I knew there was a reason I wanted to avoid the southeast beyond being allergic to grits
TheJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

The issue of gray water pollution is one of the local geography. If the local soil can handle the bio load and one is not too close to the water then it should be no issue. Any place I tent camped where it was there was also some kind of facility to do the dishes at. No idea why some deserts have an issue.

The only thing we use the outdoor shower for is hand washing after tank dumping. Very handy for that. ;-)

Nothermark, come on, since WHEN does science and facts trump the LAWS?

I totally agree with you, but what really matters is what the laws say, because disobeying the LAW, even if environmentally acceptable, is what is going to cost you!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

You can find it in Wally World too, and it's a BUNCH less spendy.

Old school Ivory soap and Johnson's No More Tears baby shampoo are both biodegradable and phosphorous free.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #34

We haul our camper and quads into the Rocky Mountains. After a day on the trail one can arrive back at camp completely covered in dust. I love being able to grab the outdoor shower head and have a quick rinse. It's also great for washing sand and gunk off the kids before they go into the camper.
jayman_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuggler View Post
Now THAT is good information! I knew there was a reason I wanted to avoid the southeast beyond being allergic to grits
The south is just to hot in summer but I can handle grits more or less, but not red eye gravy (which I think is equal amounts of last week's coffee and bacon drippings). We were at Stephen Foster State Park in Georgia. It was great but we were warned to leave soon as the Yellow Fly would soon be swarming and it is a fierce biter, similar to the deer fly bite.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #36

Different name but same insect.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #37

Never had an issue with using the outside shower anywhere, but I do respect the lay of the land and will not let my shower water run anyplace that would bother a neighbor, or run off into a pond or a lake, or create a mud bog.

It's just common sense right? I use an out side shower enclosure and it has provision for holding towels soap or anything else that is needed to take a good shower.

I don't use soaps that are not biodegradable, and safe to run free onto grass or any other plant life.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #38

My first camper is a truck camper that I still use today. After a dusty ride a hot shower is great. Because it's only a outdoor shower I have found a pair of crocs and shorts is the best. No need for a curtain and if it's just me the shorts are not required. Btw, it's a sailors shower, got to conserve water when boondocking so there is not a lot of water dumped on the ground.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Son uses the outside shower to hose off the grand daughters when they are at the lake. Sluicing off the sand keeps the interior a lot cleaner.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have been in state parks that actually require tent campers to transport their dish water to the dump station to empty the dish pan. So far I have not seen it happen though. I agree if it it that important, provide a dish washing station.

As for our outdoor shower, I have used it to wash my hands and wash our electric griddle that is too large to fit in the sink or dishwasher. It's also a good low point to drain the lines.

When we are camped at a state park without sewer connections on site I drag the blue thunder to the dump station every other day.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #41

Use it a lot, to avoid filling up the gray tank! We always use a biodegradable soap, such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-C...egradable+soap

Even works with hard water, salt water, or (gasp) bathing in a stream!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Even works with hard water, salt water, or (gasp) bathing in a stream!
A few weeks ago the water at the sticks and bricks house had to be shut off due to a broken valve up the street. I decided to just jump off the dock into the lake we live on with a bar of Ivory and shampoo. Holy cow, it sure was cold. Warmed up a bit since then. I don't think the D.E.C. saw me

BTW I had swim trunks on.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door