Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Our new 2008 Monarch came with 2 6v house batteries and no inverter. I have to take the MH in for warranty work later this fall and may have additional batteries and an inverter installed. We are coming from a 5r and two prior TT's where we never camped without hookups. One of the desires in the new MH is being able to boondock.

What can I expect to run on the inverter? Will the current converted/charger charge the batteries while the generator runs or do I need to upgrade the charging system. How long will a 2 or 4 battery system provide power?

I hope from my questions, you understand the boondocking is very new to us? Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What can I expect to run on the inverter?
Depends on size of Inverter and number of batteries.
Quote:
Will the current converted/charger charge the batteries while the generator runs
Yes
Quote:
How long will a 2 or 4 battery system provide power?
Depends upon what you are running from the batteries.

Now, having said all that and not answered a darn thing, I'll try to elaborate.
We had two Bounders before this coach. Both had the same configuration you have now. We would dry-camp for up to two weeks at a time. Usually one week over Thanksgiving at our property in Florence, Or. Not usually a real cold area, but definitely needing furnaces to be comfortable.
We found that by running the generator for two hours in the AM while making coffee and whatever else was needed, then two hours in the evening while micro-waving dinner etc we were just fine.
We installed an 1800 watt inverter for tv and coffee-pot but found out that our coffee pot, (I think it used 1100W) was too much pull for two batteries.
If you are going to install an inverter to run anything besides the entertainment center, you are going to need additional batteries. If you are going to use it just for the tv, a 1000W should be fine. With what I know now, do not get a modified sine-wave inverter. You want a true-sine. My recommendation if you have the room and expense account for it is to go to 4 batteries and an RS2000. Xantrex web site has a lot of knowledge to be gained and even a calculator for what you need.
Oh by the way, when dry camping with the Dip, we still usually run the generator 2 hours in the AM and 2 in the PM. That way we know we have plenty of battery for the furnaces to run over-nite.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
SacsTC, Thanks! We have room for a total of 4 batteries in the battery compartment. The MH came with 2 6v lead acid batteries. The plan I believe would be to add two more 6v batteries and an inverter. But, would a better solution be to remove the 6v's and add 4 12v batteries? Or, just add 2 more 6v batt. The Inverters seem to get exponetially pricer with the more wattage. I looking for input on what might be a good balance. You mentioned yours was an 1800 w inverter and you use 4 batteries (I assume 4 6v. Are your batteries lead acid, or do you have AGM's or anohter type?

We want to camp several places without hook ups including the next trip in two weeks. Since we are not set up with additional batteries and an inverter, we have changed our plans to stay at a park with hook-ups.

Thanks again for your input!

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
would a better solution be to remove the 6v's and add 4 12v batteries? Or, just add 2 more 6v batt.
Just add the two 6 volt into the equation.
Quote:
You mentioned yours was an 1800 w inverter and you use 4 batteries (I assume 4 6v.
When we added the 1800 watt, we had two 6-volt lead acid. Two batts were fine for tv, computer etc, but not enough for coffee pot, hair dryer, etc.
What we have now came already installed when we got the Diplomat. Four 6-volt lead-acid batts with a 2000W Magnum inverter...Modified sine-wave. We also have a single 120W solar panel.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #5

The best way is to figure out how meny watts you are useing and get a inverter 1000watts higer.If you need 1500 watts,get a 2500watt inverter.The best battries it the ones with the most amps.4 12 volt battries at 1200 amps is better than 4 6 volt battries at 600 amps.Also check what the inverter needs to run on a no load.You might have to shut it down when not in use.
I have a big set up for boondocking.I must say that my rig is custem made to my way of thinking.I have 6 1450 amp battries and a 2500 watt inverter with I intend on upgreading to 5000 watt.But I have more power useage than most RVers because of my radio hobby.I have a 7kw gen.I am now looking and ckecking on solor chargeing,(witch I know nothing)I'm hopeing to find big watt pannels to do this.But for your use you should look at solor as well as gen chargeing and make sure your alt on the motor is big enough to charge the system wile your on the road.For my rig I use a 250 amp alt.
RC
Old 11-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #6

How do you move 6-1450 amp batteries? A ~110 amp 12 volt battery weighs about 65 lbs. A 1450 amp battery would weigh in the neighborhood of 845+ lbs. 6 of these? Also, you state that 4 12 volt batteries at 1200 amps are better than 4 6 volt units at 600 amps. Again, a 300 amp 12 volt would be massive. I can't find a 300 amp 12 volt battery in a quick search on the web, but a 255 amp Lifeline sealed battery is 162 lbs Grp. 4. 6 volt golf cart batts come in around 200 amps and some change each. Putting 4 of those in series/parallel would give you 400 amps. There are no "magic batteries." There is a direct correlation between capacity and weight. It is certainly fun to have lots of power to play with, but the real world has to get in here somewhere. I have no idea where you are getting such massive batteries, but I suspect something is amiss in your numbers? I thought I was over the top with 6 - 6 volt batteries, but you've topped that!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

I'm curious what you did with the inverter. I have 4 6 volt batteries and am looking at using a Xantrex 1750 watt inverter. The loads are a hair dryer, coffee maker, and the tv. My largest peak load looks like 1100 watts.
Did you add one?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Bobby C - did you ever install an inverter and/or extra batteries on your Monarch? Sounds like you, Keith, and I all have similar new Monarchs so our experiences should be the same.

We dry-camp almost exclusively but for no more than three-four nights, limited only by our on-board water. Since we don't have an inverter we can't run a TV or coffee pot or microwave. We're camping for nature, not to watch TV. We cook on the stove or on the campfire, and we make coffee by boiling a kettle and using a Melitta drip filter. If we want to watch a DVD, we use our laptop. The 12v system is fine to run the lights, fans, and the electronics on the fridge, water heater, and the thermostat for the furnace. We switched out all the halogen lights for LEDs, and reduced our current draw so much we don't have to skimp on lighting at night.

With the original two six-volt batteries we found we needed to run the generator for about an hour a day to keep up the batteries, more in the winter. We dislike the noise of the generator (out in nature, remember?) so we went to four 6-volt batteries and now can go two days without the generator. We will run the generator on the highway to our destination, and again on the trip home, so the batteries are topped up before arriving at the campsite and before going into storage. That also lets us run the roof air conditioning if required.

All that said, we have considered adding a small inverter just to run the TV and DVD to watch movies. The Monarch had a 600w inverter as an option but I've never seen where or how that was installed and would be curious to hear what you ended up doing as I know you are very handy.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Will the current converter charge the additional batteries: Two answers: First: Yes, but more slowly.. You may wish to upgrade or.. Read on. Second: If your current converter is a single stage like the Magnetek 6300 line... I would strongly recommend an upgrade (But the answer is still yes)

Now, What can you expect to run... Many answers.

Check the name/information plate on the things you want to run. They will list either a Volt-Amp or Watts number.. Treat these numbers the same and add 'em up.. Here are some examples

LCD television around 100 watts, Tube type 200-300 watts. Microwave 1100 watts. Coffee pot, also in the 750-1100 watt range, Single Burner hot plate.. 1000--1200 watts Computer (laptop) 30-100 watts (Desktop) 150-450 watts, Electric razor, cell phone charger, and such.. Not enough to bother adding.

Now, add 'em up.. Add 50% to the largest (300 percent for tube type TV's) and when the number is larger than the inverter.. You no longer have power.

My install:
Xantrex Prosine 2.0.. (This is a TRUE SINE WAVE inverter/charger, NOTE: if you gotta upgrade your converter.. This is a very good choice.. I give it a "Top" rating.. along with several others I might add)

It runs Microwave, Televisions (one of each type) DVR's (2) Sat receiver (One at the moment though ti's turned off) two Digital Over The Air converters. and several other things

But it wont' run the microwave and the hotplate at the same time.

It will pass up to 30 amps of shore power to it's loads. and (That is enough for the microwave and hotplate at the same time) and if you are drawing more than 20 amps it will "Throttle down" the battery charge to insure you have enough AC for the loads.

True Sine Wave inverters are more expensive than MSW inverters but... The microwave can not tell the difference between inverter power and shore power.. The televisions can not tell the difference, The radios can not tell the difference.. (Including my ham radios which are very senistive to Electronic noise) and everythign that can be powered by it thinks it's on shore power..

With MSW inverters microwaves may cook slower, Clocks may run faster, Radios may just refuse to work, Television may or may not have "Artifacts" and audio system may humm at you..

The key word in that is "MAY" Sometimes, it all works perfectly on either kind of inverter.....

But with the TRUE SINE.. I don't even have to ask.. It works.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #10

Deep cycle batteries are rated by their 20 Ah capacity and can be 6v or 12v. A readily available 6v battery is around 220 AH. The readily available 12v deep cycle is about 115 Ah. It will take two of the 6 v in series to give you 12v at 220 Ah. Two 12 v would be connected in parallel to give 12 V at 220 Ah. Not much power. Get the largest inverter you can afford such as a 3,000 watt. A tru sine wave inverter is not required. I use 3 12 V Trojans, J-185H batteries at 215 Ah each for a total of 645 Ah. They weigh 120# each.

I have a Zantrex 3000 watt inverter and 80 Amp converter. I can run the microwave, toaster, TV etc. everything. I can go from 3 -5 days without charging.

Some very high end 2 volt batteries, Surettes, can run in the 1400 Ah range but they are huge and for a 12 V system you would need 6 of them.

I hope this helps.