Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
DnG

batteries...overkill??

First off, sorry, I know the battery issue has been beat to death in several other forums here on this site, it is a very confusing matter to most it seems again sorry for the new thread I just have not been able to find the info I seek.

I am upgrading the battery capacity of our 2012 aspire, Entegra builds a 2 tier battery rack and I am having that installed and on the racks it is my intention to have 8 east penn PS2200 batteries installed, each is 232 ah@ 20hrs, should give me a capacity of 928 ah or 464 usable ahs, correct?? Is this overkill, we will be mostly weekend camping for now and I hate running the gen in a campground unless I have to. We have had rec trailers before and never had an issue with power saving or conserving, but this motor mansion seems to really REALLY like to use power! Any other concerns I should have, any thing else I should do or look into before going ahead with this? I sure appreciate any and all input on this matter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Depending on your power needs, it may not be overkill at all. In our case we use 100-120A/H per day if we are not using the furnace, more if we do. We're not particularly energy conscious, my wife likes to cook using the convection microwave oven and we like our tv/electronics just like many families. We have a gas fridge, so if you have a residential fridge you could use even more power.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think it is over kill, but do you have enough charging power to charge that size bank, at least 100 amps?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnG View Post
First off, sorry, I know the battery issue has been beat to death in several other forums here on this site, it is a very confusing matter to most it seems again sorry for the new thread I just have not been able to find the info I seek.

I am upgrading the battery capacity of our 2012 aspire, Entegra builds a 2 tier battery rack and I am having that installed and on the racks it is my intention to have 8 east penn PS2200 batteries installed, each is 232 ah@ 20hrs, should give me a capacity of 928 ah or 464 usable ahs, correct?? Is this overkill, we will be mostly weekend camping for now and I hate running the gen in a campground unless I have to. We have had rec trailers before and never had an issue with power saving or conserving, but this motor mansion seems to really REALLY like to use power! Any other concerns I should have, any thing else I should do or look into before going ahead with this? I sure appreciate any and all input on this matter.
how you hook up the batteries is important.
i wish i could have more capacity in my battery bank.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

If you use proper units for energy and power, things get a lot simpler.

lead acid batteries have about 12 watt hours per pound usable energy. You have eight batteries of 63 pounds each. That's 504 pounds of battery which means about 6 kwh (kilowatt hours). The rate is at a draw of about a watt per pound - smaller draw increases the available energy (see Peukert and 20 hour battery capacity ratings).

Some other things to keep in mind: Typical household (or parked RV use) is about 20 to 30 kwh per day (bottom end). A household fridge uses about 1 kwh per day. RV alarms and propane fridge control board and such things run at 10 watts or 250 watt hours per day.

Your RV battery bank needs to be sized so as to provide two or three days of off grid energy in order to provide a reasonable reserve.

What that means is that your 6 kwh battery bank will require an adjustment in energy use by almost an order of magnitude and it will still need near daily recharging.

The key is that you can't store much energy in batteries in an RV. That means that adding more batteries is a small part of the overall equation. Solar can help some but you can't get all that much solar on an RV, either. That is why gensets are often built in to moho's and B's.

And, yes, I know. People do manage to be happy on low energy budgets. That is much like people being happy with minimal social security as their only income.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
DnG

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I don't think it is over kill, but do you have enough charging power to charge that size bank, at least 100 amps?
The MH has the onan 10,000 w gen set in it, also 2 solar panels on the lid but not sure what size they are, looking for the info on that next, pure sine 2000w inverter, mag...mag...mag something, thinking it is a 3 stage charger. Running the Gen once a day for a few hours is not a biggie, but with the 40 foot skt entegra we had just before this one it would barely make the night on a charge, now could be that the batt bank had a fault or maybe I just had things set wrong....all this new high falootin techno stuff is not some thing I was to familar with, well still not to familar with it, but I am learning as I go along..just wanted to be sure I was not over doing it is all. Thanks again for the input and advise
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is it KA0XTT said before he became XTT..

(In language you might stand a better chance of understanding. What is it Tim Taylor used to say on the TV show "Home Improvement" (XTT stands for Ex-Tim Taylor, KA0XTT is a fictional callsign assigned to Mike Baxter on Last Man Standing, ABC, 8pm eastern TUE)

YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MUCH POWER>

Pro/Con
Pro, more power in storage for whatever you need it for
Con: more weight to lug around
Pro: Batteries won't run down as far over night, and thus will have longer lives.
Con: Cost more to replace 'em.

Balance. See Tim Taylor comment.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #8

One thing I look at is not only the 50% rule of discharge, but a 20% minimum use that helps in the longevity equation. I might add that I'm a full timer so the 20% minimum may be extraneous. Ed
Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

I have a 2013 Entegra Anthem and have had no issues with losing power overnight. Well, except for the one day when I left the 50 amp breaker turned off...that killed it VERY quickly. We typically use a fair amount of draw, and yes I'll set the A/C temp to 70 degrees and turn on "auto gen" while away during the day so it'll a) keep the coach cooler but b) recharge the batt's. If you were losing that much power in one night, I'd be inclined to probe a little deeper. Seems odd to me. Just my opinion.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
DnG

No need to prob deeper now Riscky, we traded that one off last fall. Like I said, could be that I am just not used to an RV that uses as much power as these motor homes. The last outfit I had was a 23 foot trailer, 5 lights and a co2 detecter was about all the power it used. Now we have a rig with a residential fridge 5 tvs, dvd players, convection range, lights out the ying yang and the list goes on. Could be as simple as over use, all the new toys...I dunno, I do know that I hate running out of power and having the genny start first thing in the morning! The first MH we bought, (the 2011 entegra) may have had a bad batt in the bank...or it could have been that I had things set very wrong on the panel, until I started to research and learn here from every one else, I never realized that deep cycle batts should not be discharged any more than 50%. I have learned sooo much from the good folks here on the iRV2 forums that it almost hurts my head Will have to see what I can get out of the new one when we get it on the road in a week or 2. I am certain I will be back with more questions. once I get it and start to learn (play) with things a bit more to try to understand the system. Thanks again for all the advice and help