Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #15

I agrree with all of the above. Two golf cart batts the way to go. They put them in for a reason. Lots of up and down charging. Replaced mine after they were in coach for 9 yrs. Got them at local golf cart shop. 102.00 ea

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460
I agrree with all of the above. Two golf cart batts the way to go. They put them in for a reason. Lots of up and down charging. Replaced mine after they were in coach for 9 yrs. Got them at local golf cart shop. 102.00 ea
What kind did you get?

adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Costco yesterday, Golf cart 6 volt 220's $74 or the bigger if you have space for $94(or close)

LEN
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased (2) of the GC 220AH batteries from Sam's Club in Lynnwood, WA about 9 months ago for $75 a piece. They are the same batteries that Les Schwab are selling for $100+ I have (2) solar panels on my MH and the batteries have performed very well...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy
I purchased (2) of the GC 220AH batteries from Sam's Club in Lynnwood, WA about 9 months ago for $75 a piece. They are the same batteries that Les Schwab are selling for $100+ I have (2) solar panels on my MH and the batteries have performed very well...
How many watts is your solar panel? Where you get them?
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86 View Post
How many watts is your solar panel? Where you get them?
I have (2) 100 watt panels from AM Solar.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #21

I think I screwed up just got the two 6 volt batts home there is no way two are going to fit side by side.Now I can fit each battery by itself on each side,can I still use the two 6 volts or should I get two12volts.Would I lose anything by using the two 6 volts.
Sorry If I'm not making sense
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv37 View Post
I think I screwed up just got the two 6 volt batts home there is no way two are going to fit side by side.Now I can fit each battery by itself on each side,can I still use the two 6 volts or should I get two12volts.Would I lose anything by using the two 6 volts.
Before you get yourself in trouble you might want to read up on 6 and 12 volt battery systems, here is a link to some good info

When changing batteries from 12 volt to six volt, make sure they are rewired properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batterywiring.gif
Views:	66
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	8069  

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #23

See post #1
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv37
You're not making any sense to me

What do you mean by "Now I can fit each battery by itself on each side"? Each side of what?

There is no particular advantage of 12 vs. 6 volts provided both are deep cycle and of the same quality. It's all about cramming the maximum aH's in the available space. If two group 27 12v's fit nicely in your space, that would be the way I'd go. If the golf cart batteries don't fit nicely, there's no advantage in going that route.

IMHO, contrary to many opinions here, all batteries are not created equal. You get what you pay for. I don't get those with $300,000 coaches who put in $50 Walmart no-name batteries. For wet cell batteries, you can't beat Interstate. For AGM, Lifelines are the best. Again IMHO
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #25

I have a battery compartment on each side of the coach behind each seat,my thought was to put two 6v in series on each side then parallel the two sets.But I can only get two 6volts for now which would be 220ah,will I be okay with one pair of 6 volts for now? hope that helps
Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv37 View Post
I have a battery compartment on each side of the coach behind each seat,my thought was to put two 6v in series on each side then parallel the two sets.But I can only get two 6volts for now which would be 220ah,will I be okay with one pair of 6 volts for now? hope that helps
Sure, two 6volts wired in series will work, but if I understand you, only one golf cart battery fits per side? That would limit you in not being able to expand to your desired four house batteries. If that is your eventual goal, I would find a battery size that two can fit on each side. There are group 27 6 volt deep cycle batteries. You could put 2 of those per side.

Check out my recent purchase

Another thing to consider is that all batteries in a bank should be the same type and age. If not, the weaker ones will drain the stronger ones. You may want to buy all four batteries at once for that reason.