Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #15

During our 7 yrs on the road we boondocked with just 2 Interstate 12V Group 27 batteries.

2nd day we would need to run gen to recharge batteries as they would be down to 12.2V

Have an Xantrex 2000W inverter with 3 stage charger that is better at charging batteries then the OEM 3 stage converter. OEM good but the inverter did it quicker and higher voltage.

Gen is a 4KW self contained sound insulated 'quiet genny' that is in truck bed with it's own 12 gal gas tank.
Cord plugs into the twist lock receptacle I added to front of 5th wheel just under overhang.
OEM twist lock receptacle at rear of 5vr......the 2 power sources separated by 'manual' transfer. Had an Auto Transfer Switch that failed at 8 mos.....company sent new one for replacement under warranty and it was defective. (COs response---can you send back for troubleshooting? We're having some issues!!!!!!)

Installed a 125V subpanel with dual interlocking 50A double pole breakers.
Front receptacle goes to one set of 50A CBs----OEM Rear receptacle goes to other set of 50A CBs. Only one set can be closed at a time....mechanical interlock
Output from panel feeds MAIN AC Panel

Simple and parts available at any hardware shop.

With the 2 power receptacles I don't need an extension cord and depending on campsite I can get truck/gen close enough to plug into either one.
Plus I can plug into front receptacle while in transit.....run 5vr A/C Unit during HOT summer travels.....just fire it up 1 hr prior to setting up.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #16

Rexhall Owners Group
just curious about this mechanical interlock.
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRock View Post
just curious about this mechanical interlock.
Square D Mechanical Interlock

Schneider Electric / Square D QO2DTI Mechanical Interlock Attachment; 3.800 Inch Width x 7.100 Inch Depth x 6.300 Inch Height - Crescent Electric Supply Company
Old 02-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks OB .... a nice idiot-proof safety feature
Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are lots of battery options depending on the size of your bank account, But if you are looking for the best BANG for your BUCK you have two choices.

Six Volt GC batteries in pairs (2,4,6,8)
Or one Swell of a Fire Sale... (Kind of hard to find those)

Of the two, clearly the GC2's from Sam's. easiest to find by far.

I highly recommend them
There are otehr options but well. they are all more expensive per amp-hour.

For Watching TV and Cell phones Two options...

12 volt TV and 12 volt phone chargers (The latter you can find all over creation, Truck Stops, Drug Stores, ______ stores)

12 volt Tv's are also easier to find now days, though you may need to make your own 12 volt cord.

Option 2 is an inverter... Total the wattage of the TV's and double it (Ignore the phones)

Or you can go with 1500-2000 and include the Microwave in the list of Battery devices. Your battery bank is what Xantrex recommends for a 2,000 watt inverter.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #20

This would be ac only
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
This would be ac only
Square D QO breakers ARE rated for up to 48 Vdc systems and can be used as branch circuit protection. This does not include the Homeline series.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRock View Post
Square D QO breakers ARE rated for up to 48 Vdc systems and can be used as branch circuit protection. This does not include the Homeline series.

Correct...........

BUT I only used them to isolate 2 AC power sources so that only 1 can fed power at any one time
Old 02-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For isolation of two AC sources.. I have a 30 amp manual transfer switch.. You need a somewhat larger switch box than what you'd put a standard light switch in but this puppy switches two lines, 30 amp rated, on/off/on but you can not switch from on to on in one move (You got to double tap the lever).

This way you BREAK and then, later, MAKE which is the proper way to do it.

I use it to switch a 15 amp line,, Mine was 50 bucks, but the list is 100.
Still, easier than an auto switch and more reliable,, Smaller too.

I have not shopped for 50 amp manual switches, but it sounds like 30 will do for the O/P's needs (You don't switch the Air Conditioners to Inverter)

Mine switches the bedside outlets and the Fridge to Inverter or Non inverter powered circuits,,, I can force the fridge to GAS, and switch the switch and the phone charger works, the fans works Very nice.

Tags
battery, upgrade