Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Looking to buy a portable inverter type generator. Retired so money is tight. Free shipping would be nice and lowest price.

Looking at Honda, Champion, Yahama or similar that can power my Travel Trailer and perhaps its 13,500 BTU A/C.
Local dealers are charging full list price and as a senior on a fixed income that doesn't work!

All advise based on real life experience would be fantastic!

Any internet sites that sell discount and perhaps free shipping would be great!

Thanks for any help.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Harbor freight?
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

So, I bought from Electric Generator Depot - Honda Inverter Generators at Electronic Generator Depot

They have a horrible BBB rating and reputation, but so far, I have had no issues with the Honda eu2000i that I bought. If you buy from them, I take no responsibility for any problems you may have.

I know others have said that Welcome to Mayberrys.com - Carrying Outdoor Lawn and Garden Equipment for 50 Years!
have a great reputation. Again, any issues and I take no responsibility
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

My brother has the Smart Tools 2000 watt invertor generator which has the Yamaha motor. He bought from Costco for $599. He has been using to for a year now and it has been trouble free.

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html
Old 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out Craigslist in your area. Quite a few in my area for sale. 25 to 30% off retail & no sales tax
Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Check out Craigslist in your area. Quite a few in my area for sale. 25 to 30% off retail & no sales tax
Good luck trying to file a warranty claim without a receipt.
Kevin-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

Consider also the noise being generated for you and your neighbors. Quietest will be the Honda and Yamaha. In terms of getting any warranty or service work done or getting parts, there are more Yamaha dealers than there are dealers for all the others combined.

Being retired I would want to buy something that was going to be as trouble free and as least likely to need servicing or replacement in the future. Doubly important when traveling around if you are depending on using it to run a high btu AC unit. Be sure to size it for the AC as these units take a lot more power when they first cycle on.

There is no reason not to buy a used one if you can find one on Craigslist as most have very few hours of run time unless used by a contractor.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are many online generator sales companies that discount heavily.

You can try this one or just do a search.

Electric Generator Factory Direct Discounts - Buy Generators Direct and Save

Good luck with your search.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I don't own this, but it looks comparable to some other quality brands.

GENERAC iX Series Portable Generators 5793

Generator, Portable, Generac iX Series, 2,000 Watts, Gasoline Fuel, 1 Gallon, Recoil Start

$598 w/free shipping direct from the manufacturer.

GENERAC iX Series Portable Generators 5793 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

The Generac brand has had too many bad reviews to be included in my list of possible inverter generators.
I did locate an excellent "deal" on a Champion 3100 inverter generator @$849 with free shipping. This unit has enjoyed some very good reviews. I know it will handle my RV A/C without any problems and the microwave too. The dba rating of 58 should make it acceptable at campgrounds. The weight of about 80 lbs and the fact that it comes with wheels for suitcase style mobility are also a big plus. It also has a 2yr warranty...another plus. I may order this one in November as I fear a price jump after the new year. It could even help out at the house in the event of a winter power outage...never know!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #11

Cabela's has a sale going on now for the Champion generators, the 3100 for $749 and the 2000 for $559. That was the best price I have seen the the 3100 from anywhere.
joe_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #12

Honda and Yamaha definitely have good stuff. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative Champion is the way to go. Friend debated between Honda and Champion and Champion won on price. Its not as quite as a Honda but its not super loud either. Been very reliable over the past 2 years.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #13

Joe-Jack, Thanks for the Cabelas price tip...I will be heading up to Maine on the 18th (Saturday) and will buy one then at their Scarborough store. Do you know if the sale will be in effect until the 18th of October???
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #14

Home Depot sells robin 2200 watt inverter generator for about 500.00 have had one for a year also used it to run may pellet stove this past winter when we lost the power one day
hevi57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator