Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Beware of Cracker Barrel parking

July 4, 2014 traveling through pueblo Colorado pulling my travel trailer, stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, upon getting back to my vehicle I saw a window had been broken out of my truck, the vehicle had been ransacked. Many items stolen. Not a good experience. Cracker Barrel manager provided cardboard and tape to close broken window. Still had a thousand miles to get home. Lessens learned Cracker Barrel doesn't have cameras in the back where the rv's park they need to install some as a deterrent to would be thieves! Park in front if you can.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never had a problem parking there. Your problem could have happened anywhere.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up. Seems back lots are a target for thieves. Think I'll pass.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

I am sorry for your loss. We are all vunerable to break in's no matter where we are parking. There are cameras that you can install on your rig to get your own videos. I would not blame the business for the break in. My security is my responsiblity not the business that I am parked at. Take your own precations, then you do not have to rely on someone else for your security.

To put the blame or lay this on Cracker Barrel, I think is disingenuise, and no I do not work for CB.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Sorry the bad guys got you. I hope your insurance comes through.
I never thought of cameras as being that much of a deterrent, but I'll bet the thieves notice where they are.
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

You are blaming the business you are parked outside of for a scumbag looting all your nice stuff?

Did your own surveillance cameras and burglar alarms not work for some reason?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Very sorry for that, it stinks.

Been there, done that.... but not at Cracker Barrell. Camera's and all that won't help. Most police departments don't have time to hunt down a simple car theif even if they recognize him. They wait till he/she is caught red handed.

Years ago they broke in my parents rv with the pry bar through the entry door. Stole about $400 worth of stuff, did $1,500 damage to the RV to get in!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Did not take the OP as a trashing of CB. Simply a report on what happened. A good heads up for everybody.

When parking in a lot check to see if there are any cameras. Also do not leave a lot of valuables in your vehicle. That lesson is stated often and more often by police forces everywhere.

Still we should not have to protect "our stuff". Can still remember the day when you could leave your keys in the car and not lock the house. Sad commentary on the morals of people now days. Sad reflection on the justice system that seems to want to coddle and retrain the criminal while they are being punished for doing the crime. If you want training get a job.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Surely not Cracker Barrels fault!! I have had car broken into in the past and never thought to blame it on the business were it was parked, what is wrong with me?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #10

I paid once to park my trailer for the winter and they broke in a window and took my gold award watch and a gold ring. Made a mess of the unit. Never will pay to park my unit indoors again. Better to leave it outside for me.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Indoor, outdoors, security fence--whatever. Never a good idea to leave valuables inside a stored vehicle. Even the monitored storage units get broken into, and then you have a nice video of some hoodie characters leaving with your stuff.
My wife won't even let me leave anything inside the trailer stored in our driveway behind a fence. Used to gripe me, but not now the way things are.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Indoor, outdoors, security fence--whatever. Never a good idea to leave valuables inside a stored vehicle. Even the monitored storage units get broken into, and then you have a nice video of some hoodie characters leaving with your stuff.
My wife won't even let me leave anything inside the trailer stored in our driveway behind a fence. Used to gripe me, but not now the way things are.
Sage words. We keep our coach in a locked shed on the property and no valuables are left in it. Unless you count the Keurig coffee maker!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #13

A Keurig is something I don't have--where is your property?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #14

I had a flat at a Shell gas station some years ago and quit using their fuel and since then have not had another flat, beware of the Shell stations, they're deadly.