RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
We do not put TP down toilet. It can be burned at campfire.
I hope that's not when you roast marshmallows!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #16

Ahhhh.....nothing like the smell of tp in the morning. Cup joe to wash it down.

Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #17

If you are Boondocking where do you intend to empty the tote after it is full?
Keep in mind the waste in that tank will be near 9# per gallon.
I know my sh.. Stuff.
Lynn
Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #18

If your serious about boondocking You’ll get used to handling your waste. Our rig has 40 gals black, 60 grey and we dry camp. When we’re in conservation mode (navy showers, dishwater outside where allowed, etc) we can comfortably go 10 days to 2 weeks. No TP in the tank makes a huge difference in volume and it’s so much better for your RV tank! Our used paper goes in a doggie bag to an under sink bin and it goes out with the regular garbage. Fresh water is also a limiting factor.
Our plans include a day trip to the nearest facility within the 10-14 day window for a dump-n-flush, fresh water fill, laundry, groceries and grog.
As an alternative we carry fresh water containers to fill in town and for a backup we have 5 gallon pails with snap-on lids to take in the toad (or pack) our black/grey to the nearest dump site or a pit toilet (but only if accepted by local custom). Boondocking leaves little room for the squeamish!
Magic Bus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
We've got 2- 40 gallon grey total 80 and a 40 gallon black that should do us for a week
but we are not towing it back home it will go in storage so I want it emptied and winterizes before we leave so I am going to empty it via tote a couple time during the week and a final when we leave
Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve,N,Jan View Post
We've got 2- 40 gallon grey total 80 and a 40 gallon black that should do us for a week
but we are not towing it back home it will go in storage so I want it emptied and winterizes before we leave so I am going to empty it via tote a couple time during the week and a final when we leave
If you are on your own property where are you going to empty the tote?
Lynn
Old 06-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Going to have to haul it to a flying J or rest area near by , not sure yet
Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve,N,Jan View Post
Going to have to haul it to a flying J or rest area near by , not sure yet
If you are planning on Boondocking often on your own land you could build an outdoor privy. After each use you can sprinkle lime ( available at farm supply stores ) on the waste and you won't have any odor. You can find something to sprinkle the lime with at most hardware stores which sell gardening supplies. They are made to sprinkle dust on plants to kill insects.
Dig a hole, build the privy over it and when the hole gets full move the privy over to another hole and start over. Save the dirt dug up to cover the holes with.
Can't tell I'm an old farm boy can you?
Lynn
Old 06-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #23

We agree about TP. No TP and no clogging of drains and half the solid trash in tank.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #24

Quote:
We agree about TP. No TP and no clogging of drains and half the solid trash in tank.
The best part is enjoying as much thick, luxurious Costco TP as one wants (I cringe when I think of using that 'special' RV stuff)!
Magic Bus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #25

We are 2 adults and when boondocking the RV toilet is the only one we use. We can very easily make it 7 to 10 days on the 50 gallon black water tank.

That said, I'd highly recommend have a sprayer installed in that tank. We use TP down with the flush and you will get lumping and/or partial clogging when bondocking for extended periods. I recommend a good rinse/flush as often as feasible.

I would hate using a tote. We are ready to move well before tank is full.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #26

That a good point about the sprayer. Our Cameo has it installed and give it a good spraying everytime. Use a clear elbow in between the rv connection and hose. I'll close the waste gate a couple times to let water build up a little in the tank, then open the waste gate again, you would be surprised how TP/ by product will still come out. 2 or 3 times of this with no more sign of "stuff" coming out good to go. Don't be afraid to put a little water in the black tank, doesn't hurt to let it slosh around going to your next boondock.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
That a good point about the sprayer. Our Cameo has it installed and give it a good spraying everytime. Use a clear elbow in between the rv connection and hose. I'll close the waste gate a couple times to let water build up a little in the tank, then open the waste gate again, you would be surprised how TP/ by product will still come out. 2 or 3 times of this with no more sign of "stuff" coming out good to go. Don't be afraid to put a little water in the black tank, doesn't hurt to let it slosh around going to your next boondock.
Yes, unless we are extremely limited in water we try and put 5 gallons or so along with tank treatment to wash the bottom down a bit driving back. In some cases I put dishwater detergent, a wee bit of bleach and 1/2 tank of clean water and drive home. I dump at a station in town before parking.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #28

Quote:
It is generally legal to take outdoor showers and dump dishwater if using biodegrabke soap.

We do not put TP down toilet. It can be burned at campfire. We use the restrooms at FS and BLM campgrounds if available. We generally disperse camp and black water lasts 2 to 3 weeks; 3 to 4 weeks at FS or BLM CGs

That sounds disgusting, just what you want in a campfire. The only thing that goes in the fire is wood. You must have some funky tasting s'mores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus II View Post
The best part is enjoying as much thick, luxurious Costco TP as one wants (I cringe when I think of using that 'special' RV stuff)!
We use the same paper we use in our house toilet, have never had a problem.

I think some of you way overthink some of this camping stuff.

Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank