RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #43

Use an eviscerator

I have had the same issue with tank dumping on long stays. So I got an eviscerator and a slide valve. The slide valve connects to the holding tank pipe outlet and the eviscerator attaches to it. I leave my tote in the back of my truck and ran a hose to it from the eviscerator. I fill the tote as much as I can and turn off the eviscerator pump (it has a push button for on and off) and close the slide valve. I make a trip to the dump station with the tote on the bed of the truck and connect the dump hose to it. With the tailgate down I tilt the tote up to dump. Last week I dumped the black and two grays in 7 trips with a 10 gallon tote. No lifting involved except for tilting the tote.

W7VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #44

Arizona is legal to dump grey water but not with kitchen water in it. Shower, sinks and washer. No kitchen sink water.

shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
We have 2 40 gallon black and 2 40 gallon gray tanks. Only 60 gallon of fw.

Those that don't flush tp should labor each bag with where -not who- it came from. Set it on a shelf and recall the memories with guests. Just think bringing out the bag of poo paper and talking about your trip to the mountains 15 years from now. Maybe even point out kernels and recall the corn roast.
Love it! Yes, it continues to boggle my mind how anyone would think that their feces laden toilet paper belongs anywhere but the black tank!
We've made two trips to Alaska with DW, three kids and grandpa and grandma over the years.. In a 'class c'. 30 gal black tank. Dump every other day. Now with just DW, dump when the grey tank is full.. About six days. (-And "shoot-on-sight anyone barbecuing their TP at a campsite).
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Arizona is legal to dump grey water but not with kitchen water in it. Shower, sinks and washer. No kitchen sink water.

I am not questioning your statement, but do you have a reference for it?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #47

We are in our upper 70s, therefore we spend more time in the privy than we did 30 years ago, our black tank is 35 gal and I usually empty it every 6-7 days.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #48

As others have said, it depends on how you use it. We have two bathrooms, and two people, thus 80 gallons black water and 80 gals grey water. We easily go 10 days without dumping. I have never had a black water tank fill up before dumping. Usually, it's the rear bath grey water tank that fills up first (that's where the shower empties into.) Sometimes it's the kitchen gray water tank that's first. We do a mix of dry camping and glamping. We also practice good water conservation (Navy showers, etc. every two or three days with spit baths in between - depending on how sweaty the day is lol.) Of course, when the wife showers, she MUST wash her hair and that takes some kind of water.
Dave Dopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W7VP View Post
I have had the same issue with tank dumping on long stays. So I got an eviscerator and a slide valve. The slide valve connects to the holding tank pipe outlet and the eviscerator attaches to it. I leave my tote in the back of my truck and ran a hose to it from the eviscerator. I fill the tote as much as I can and turn off the eviscerator pump (it has a push button for on and off) and close the slide valve. I make a trip to the dump station with the tote on the bed of the truck and connect the dump hose to it. With the tailgate down I tilt the tote up to dump. Last week I dumped the black and two grays in 7 trips with a 10 gallon tote. No lifting involved except for tilting the tote.
I think you mean Mascerator. An eviscerator is one who guts chickens and etc. A Mascerator grinds waste and pumps it through a hose like a garbage disposal.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I am not questioning your statement, but do you have a reference for it?
There are many articles on this by using Google. Here is one:

https://wrrc.arizona.edu/grey-water-as-resource
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #51

Thanks Twogypsies
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #52

Many years ago my dad had me install a extra drain on his grey tank. I used 2 valves. Open one, and the top quarter would by-pass the main valve, but run out the stinky slinky. Open the other, and it would drain thru a hose apron, into the bushes if legal, or into another container.
On a FHU site, he always had plenty of grey to chase the black.
Why not leave used dishwater in the pan until body is ready to discharge, use that to pre-fill the bowl?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Thanks Twogypsies

Yes, x2.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #54

I have 110 gals of water, get about 5 days before I'm empty. Grey water always fills first. Black water has never been an issue and my wife likes her tp. I have 50 gal of grey water and 50 gal of black water.
Sck1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #55

Get one of those push button counters and mount it so you use it when you flush, take a gallon pitcher and add a half gallon or then a gallon depending on how much water you want to use, half gallon, 40 gallon tank with 4 gallons in it to start, you can flush 76 times. Use that as a gauge and it will be more accurate than your lights.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #56

Two Gypsies

Great idea for another drain from grey tank. The joined drain will always have effluvia

Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank