RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Two Gypsies

Great idea for another drain from grey tank. The joined drain will always have effluvia
And a unpleasant or harmful odor.

Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli Lloyd View Post
Hi all, what is the causes odor problem in my blank tank?
What do you think causes the smell?

What are you putting in your black tank?

Old 11-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #59

back to the tp in the campfire-- I prefer the scent of wood smoke from the logs, not the scent of the ones you drop in the fire ring. I agree your method is disgusting and unsanitary. if you would, start a travel plan on this site so a lot of us can decide where not to camp.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #60

For the OP, isn't there some way you can "simulate" the the boondocking trip where there is a place to empty the tanks? That way you would have a very good idea of how long it would take to fill the tanks. From my boondocking experience, as others have said, the grey tanks will fill long before the black.

If your tanks are on a horizontal plane, another dump valve that attaches to the existing drain will allow moving the grey into the black. I started doing that in the '80s by fabricating my own, and it worked great. I would always open the grey first, then the black, and wait until there was still some being transferred before closing the black then the grey. We did that for 20+ years without any problems. We do use additives in the black tank to help deal with odor.

For those who can't stand the thought of poo paper not being flushed, I'm wondering how they would have managed living with an outdoor toilet, using catalogues or newspaper for TP, and placing that in a bag to be burned later in order not to fill the toilet. That's the way it was in WV back in the '40's and '50's while I was growing up. It didn't seem so bad then, but given a choice....

After experiencing a significant clog featuring TP, we started keeping ours in a plastic bag to be placed in a garbage can or dumpster later, along with the bags of doggy poo placed there by others. We are nearly always boondocking in one form or another, so using lots of water isn't a good plan for us.

I guess there are a few of us that do things "differently", but we have our reasons.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
For the OP, isn't there some way you can "simulate" the the boondocking trip where there is a place to empty the tanks? That way you would have a very good idea of how long it would take to fill the tanks. From my boondocking experience, as others have said, the grey tanks will fill long before the black.

If your tanks are on a horizontal plane, another dump valve that attaches to the existing drain will allow moving the grey into the black. I started doing that in the '80s by fabricating my own, and it worked great. I would always open the grey first, then the black, and wait until there was still some being transferred before closing the black then the grey. We did that for 20+ years without any problems. We do use additives in the black tank to help deal with odor.

For those who can't stand the thought of poo paper not being flushed, I'm wondering how they would have managed living with an outdoor toilet, using catalogues or newspaper for TP, and placing that in a bag to be burned later in order not to fill the toilet. That's the way it was in WV back in the '40's and '50's while I was growing up. It didn't seem so bad then, but given a choice....

After experiencing a significant clog featuring TP, we started keeping ours in a plastic bag to be placed in a garbage can or dumpster later, along with the bags of doggy poo placed there by others. We are nearly always boondocking in one form or another, so using lots of water isn't a good plan for us.

I guess there are a few of us that do things "differently", but we have our reasons.

Steve
I would not have a rv with a bathroom then, I would use the campground toilets.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you really want to know!

A Guide to the Development of on-site Sanitation: Part II. Detailed design, construction, operation and maintenance: Chapter 5. Technical factors affecting excreta disposal: Human wastes
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I would not have a rv with a bathroom then, I would use the campground toilets.
We seldom use campgrounds, but what we do works fine for us. To each his/her own.

Steve

Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli Lloyd View Post
Hi all, what is the causes odor problem in my blank tank? i hope you may have sufficient knowledge and expecting you kind support. thanks. .... in advance for sincere cooperation.
In my last post I mentioned that I used chemicals in the black tank to deal with odors. Walmart has these back with the other RV stuff, as do most camper sales/supply places. I usually get ours at Walmart.

If it still smells after adding deodorant, I would check to see if something is not sealed enough to keep the odor contained.

Steve

Old 11-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #65

50 gallon tank = 2+ Weeks
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #66

I hated the idea of using my fresh water supply to flush a toilet. So when I bought my new coach, the first thing I did was install a composting toilet. I don't know why these don't get more popular cuz they are way more convenient and much more sanitary than the whole black tank process. Plus, you can empty it so easily without going to a dump station. Takes about ten minutes, once familiar.
OffGridCirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridCirc View Post
I hated the idea of using my fresh water supply to flush a toilet. So when I bought my new coach, the first thing I did was install a composting toilet. I don't know why these don't get more popular cuz they are way more convenient and much more sanitary than the whole black tank process. Plus, you can empty it so easily without going to a dump station. Takes about ten minutes, once familiar.
I think its the 2 weeks+ of composting after the last use that turns folks off. It doesn't compost instantly by mixing it.

Otherwise your throwing out raw sewage. You can do that with a home depot bucket and plastic bags.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think its the 2 weeks+ of composting after the last use that turns folks off. It doesn't compost instantly by mixing it.

Otherwise your throwing out raw sewage. You can do that with a home depot bucket and plastic bags.
Oh, there are a lot of things about pooping in a bucket that turn me off. It's like cars are so much trouble, I'm gonna walk.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #69

Nah, it's only a few hours at normal temperatures till all the bad bacteria dies. This is documented and in my actual experience I have emptied it 8 hours after use with it being very "non-toxic".
Old 11-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Oh, there are a lot of things about pooping in a bucket that turn me off. It's like cars are so much trouble, I'm gonna walk.
How did you know? I recently sold my car because it WAS too much trouble and I really enjoy walking or riding my bike. That's so insightful of you. Thank you for posting.

Tags
black tank, tank