Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I have REALLY long hair and refuse to cut it, but getting it washed while on long boondocking excursions is getting to me . . . and my fresh water supply. I've heard that you can use a little mild baby shampoo mixed with half vinegar and water, spray that on, then spray water out of a bottle to "rinse" it out. Has anyone tried this? It sounds like it would really dry out your hair. I've also been told that it's a great way to "bathe" in general - that the vinegar kills the odor causing bacteria and germs as well. Would love to hear any tips regarding keeping clean out in the boonies without using up your fresh water supply so quickly. We are boondocking WAY far away from civilization lately and the trek in to get fresh water is a major inconvenience. Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
GM... One thing you should do is get one of these...It cuts down the water you do use but rinses your hair (and you) very well...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
When I was in the hospital my nurses used waterless shampoo on me why not get some!!! Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
GM, when boon docking why not shower with nature? Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 AM   #5

Hard to find a waterfall in the desert.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #6

Traveling across Southern California, I've seen folks bathing in everything from a hot springs right near the interstate (no kidding) to climbing down a ladder into this hole where water runs out of a pipe in The Slabs!!! Good heavens!! Thanks for the tip MonacoM . . . I've been looking at those things and wondered if they were any good. I think I'll get some of the waterless shampoo too just in case. With it so hot, the hair is braided or and under a hat most of the time, but why have it if you have to hide it? Thanks for the tips gang!!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
One of the perks of going bald. A quick wipe with a damp washcloth and I am ready to go.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #8

See washing tips --

Quote:
When you have scrubbed and shampooed your hair then - with the water still off - squeegee your hair to get the majority of the shampoo out. Start at the forehead and use your hand to shove the shampoo down the back of your head and out of your hair. Turn the water on just briefly then repeat the squeegee process. When you have gotten most of the shampoo out of your hair then it is time for a good final rinse. Turn the water on, starting with your head rinse your hair thoroughly then work down your body. Give a final squirt to the tub to rinse out and use a cloth or paper towel to clean out the tub if needed.
A little vinegar might be a bit of a help if you have hard water to deal with but forget about any anti-bacterial claims for anything.

Saving water is more about technique than anything else. Practice helps as it is a learned skill to balance convenience, water use, and desired results.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #9

Brian, vinegar is a great anti-bacterial: http://www.google.com/search?q=vineg...ient=firefox-a
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #10

I've started filling clean milk bottles with 5/6 water and 1/6 vinegar and rinse every other day. It keeps the oily residue out of my hair . . . then I shampoo as often as possible. The ends don't need the vinegar water or shampooing as often as the scalp, obviously, so this is working well. And diluting that much keeps me from smelling like salad dressing - LOL!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something you may need to keep a list of is Truck Plazas. like Flying-J

You can take a "J-Shower" at a flying J, .. (Every thing in a Flying J is J-someting) they rent showers out, I forget the fee (Been long enough it may have gone up)

Also in some places you can rent-a-shower at one or more local facilities (Quartsite it's the laundromat that rents showers) Showers are cleaned between each use. Generally Towles are provided and sometimes even soap & shampoo (Septic safe products) depending on where you are.

Other than that.. I like long straight hair on a woman.. Just so you know.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I am sure there are women on this forum who may correct me, but vinegar is not used to wash your hair. It used to rinse your hair. I remember my wife telling me, like 50 years ago, to use vinegar in the rinse because it removes shampoo residue. Putting vinegar in the wash cycle would seem to be counter-productive. Whether vinegar actually reduces the amount of water needed to rinse.. I have not a clue. But there are Internet sites that tell how to prepare a vinegar hair rinse in a bottle-- which would seem like it would reduce the amount of water needed.

Norm
Old 03-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shave it Marine! Look how good Demi Moore looked in Navy Seals. Any Marine can look as good as her, right?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #14

Bald Women . . .

LOL Wayne - I WISH.

As far as the vinegar rinse goes - I'm not using it to WASH my hair - but I've found that if I rinse my scalp with it in between shampoos, it keeps the oil at bay. I've used truck stop showers etc. but when you are boondocking out in the middle of NOWHERE, miles and miles away from any truck stop, I don't have that convenience.

One of the ladies at an RV park where I'm staying now got so sick of her hair getting in her way, and keeping her so hot in this heat, she just picked up a pair of scissors and whacked it off . . . . I hope I don't get that frustrated! LOL!!