Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Boondock sites in Southern Utah????????

Hey Everybody,

Can anyone make a recommendation for some boondock sites in southern Utah in mid May. Watchman is jammed up which is where we wanted to be but I'm sure there are much better options. We would rather boondock
Let me know what you think and thank you in advance!!!

Jeff
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out these sites for numerous free camping and boondocking on Public Lands.
Free Campgrounds for RVs and
RV Camping
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If you arrive early enough in the day, in May I suspect you can find a site in the South campground in Zion. I had no problem in mid June...
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

Thanks very much for your input, Keep em coming!!

Jeff
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

Here is my favorite site for low cost and free campsites: Free Campsites
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I docksocked near Bryce Canyon National park last Spring and plan to go back to Southern Utah this Spring. It is a fascinating place!

Stop at the Dixie National Forest info center near the western end of State Hwy 12 for their recommendations. Also, stop at the Ruby's Inn campground and pick up a map of the ATV routes in the area. Then just explore by toad. There are plenty of places where you can leave your rig.

We stayed just outside Bryce Canyon. There are Forest Service roads to the left and right off the road heading into the park that lead to boondocking areas. Don't let the No Camping signs scare you away. They only mean at that spot. Go down the dirt road about 1/2 mile or so and you will find spots where others have camped.

I want to check out some of the areas down State Hwy 12 east of Bryce. There is a Forest Service office in Escalante, Utah that will issue you a free permit. Southern Utah has some of the most unique geographic features I have ever seen and I'm excited about the chance to explore more of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #7

We have had no problems at the BLM campgrounds any time of the year. Most people want the hookups for their big screen TV's and air conditioners. You do want to get to the campground by mid-afternoon to be sure to get a spot.

For most RV folks they are not on the radar and not even considered. Only downside is that information about the campgrounds tends to be very sketchy and not often kept up to date.

We ran into huge crowds during founders' week in Utah last fall and the BLM campgrounds were a blessing.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Thank you very much!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Great topic. I am heading to UT in October. Looking at BLM campsites outside of Moab on the Colo River. It looks like there are only 3 or 4 that can handle big rigs. I'm looking at a mid week arrival. I have also looked at Dead Horse Point SP. There is electricity but no water, and reservations can be made about 4 months in advance. Does anyone have any knowledge of these campgrounds?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

I stayed at Dead Horse State Park this summer in one of the non reservable sites. It did take 2 days to get a site - the middle of the week is the best time & you need to be at the ranger station early. As you noted, they have electricity, but no water - be sure to fill your tank in Moab.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
I stayed at Dead Horse State Park this summer in one of the non reservable sites. It did take 2 days to get a site - the middle of the week is the best time & you need to be at the ranger station early. As you noted, they have electricity, but no water - be sure to fill your tank in Moab.
Thanks for that information. What was your opinion about the RV park and the State Park? Since my dates are known, I will attempt to make reservations on the date they are available. There is a chart on their website showing the specific date you can make a reservation for a given time slot. In my case for Oct, it is June 27. I have it in my calendar.

You by chance didn't happen to pass through the BLM campsites? They are on the Colo River and look pretty decent, but w/o any hookups. I found one of them on Campsite Photos.com I love that website. I used it to find a spot for our trip to Big Bend NP in two weeks.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Thanks for that information. What was your opinion about the RV park and the State Park? Since my dates are known, I will attempt to make reservations on the date they are available. There is a chart on their website showing the specific date you can make a reservation for a given time slot. In my case for Oct, it is June 27. I have it in my calendar.

You by chance didn't happen to pass through the BLM campsites? They are on the Colo River and look pretty decent, but w/o any hookups. I found one of them on Campsite Photos.com I love that website. I used it to find a spot for our trip to Big Bend NP in two weeks.
If you can get a reservation, go for it since there are not that many non reservable sites. Check the site - no all have electricity. As to the park, even if you don't stay in the park, a drive to the point is well worth the view. There are a number of hiking trails available.

I have never stayed at the BLM campgrounds - they were full the few times I have driven past them. Most of them are on the river; nice views, but a bit crowded compared to other BLM campgrounds.