Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #15

Check out Trimetric 2525 Battery Monitor.

Many people forget the 10 times conversion of amps, when figuring 120 volt items running on 12 volts. A 1 amp 120 volt TV, draws 10 amps +, on 12 volts.

I think you got it now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #16

No such thing as "dumb" questions. All of us have gone through a learning curve. There are, however, dumb answers. Have seen enough of these on-line.

SkiSmuggs - am not a guru. Just happen to have a son that is a recognized expert in alternative energy design and fabrication, and I ask questions. I also read the fora and realize that a lot of folks know what they are talking about, and about the same number that do not. This forum and Escapees are usually quite informative and helpful (Kirk and Yarome at Escapees). Unfortunately, you have to go through a learning curve to find out what is sensible and what is not.

When we first started full-timing eight years ago, we found out that we were learning as much from the idiots as from those that knew what they were doing. As in "we shall not do that!" Exempli gratia, rigs parked like something out of "Honey, I fixed it!", electrical hookups that should get someone electrocuted, rigs so overloaded that the owners were afraid to have them weighed at a CAT scales (and had blown 3 tires on one side), cheap tires, excessively overloaded tow vehicles etc, etc. I believe we are past learning from the idiots and now learn from those we trust on-line.
Reed and Elaine

Old 07-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #17

I'm in the same boat sorta. Everything I'm learning as a new guy is coming from YouTube videos and this forum. We live well outside of town, so there's really nobody around to ask questions of.

We just returned from our 2nd trip. Went to Troy Montana to visit family, 1780 miles one way. Crossed the continental divide at 6360'ish feet pulling a 5450 pound vehicle on a 5000 pound hitch with no toad break installed. Not because we don't want to follow the rules and be safe, but because when I asked the sales guy about towing my truck he said the Sightseer would handle it, no problem! Never mentioned anything at all about the extra braking that's needed or the hitch weight limit, and I didn't know to ask.

It was only after returning and getting on the forum that I've learned these things. I ordered the brake buddy yesterday, found it on eBay out of Irving Texas for only $899. Taking the MH to Broken Arrow Hitch before we tow again. They said they might be able to beef it up rather than change it out, could do either, but would have to see it first.
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #18

There are a lot of very honest and knowledgeable salesmen/managers and a number that are not.

I remember reading on one forum that a guy was very upset and felt insulted when the manager of an RV dealership refused to sell him an RV because he did not have enough truck. The manger knew what was required and that the tow vehicle had insufficient carrying and brake capacity. Be happy when you get good advice from a professional.
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #19

Make sure you have enough vehicle

Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
SkiSmuggs - am not a guru. Just happen to have a son that is a recognized expert in alternative energy design and fabrication, and I ask questions. I also read the fora and realize that a lot of folks know what they are talking about, and about the same number that do not. This forum and Escapees are usually quite informative and helpful (Kirk and Yarome at Escapees). Unfortunately, you have to go through a learning curve to find out what is sensible and what is not.
Reed and Elaine
Sorry, Reed, I used "guru" because I was too lazy to type "does not blow smoke."
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LED topic: The lights you selected have a "color" rating of 7000K. These will appear blueish in color. If you want a more direct replacement to what you now have, look for lights with a 4-5000K rating or "warm" color. You should also select the bulbs based on the number of "lumens" (light output) they provide. This will take some research by determining what you currently have and what the new light will provide.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago