Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Boondocking 101: How to Find That Perfect Spot

If you're new to boondocking, or even if you're a veteran, finding that perfect spot can be a challenge -- especially if you're in unfamiliar territory. My new video released today on the Grand Adventure YouTube channel provides some tips and techniques on finding that perfect spot:

Enjoy! Feedback is both welcome and appreciated.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nice video! Thanks for the tips.

Are most of these boondocking locations, like those you show in the video , accessible to a 40ft Motor coach (one of your sites looked very sandy)?

My DP has a GVWR of 40,000 lbs. Can I boondock without getting stuck?
Or do I need to stick to the paved roads?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Are most of these boondocking locations, like those you show in the video , accessible to a 40ft Motor coach (one of your sites looked very sandy)?

Most, but of course not all. That's where your research is most important in drawing the distinction between a graded road and a backcountry trail. As the video points out, often times you can make that distinction by a careful examination of the road in Google satellite view. However, it never hurts to give the local Forest Service ranger station or BLM Field Office a call and ask about the road itself.

In most of the places we've camped with our TT, getting a large Class A into the same spot would've been no trouble at all. In fact, we often encounter large motor homes in the same areas that we're boondocking in.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Great video and some information to keep in mind. We have gone from an 8 foot camper that we could get into many very private spots on what is called crown land here in Canada to a 38+ foot MH. Both happy and sad. Nowadays we have much more comfort, but can't go on the rough roads!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Great video and some information to keep in mind. We have gone from an 8 foot camper that we could get into many very private spots on what is called crown land here in Canada to a 38+ foot MH. Both happy and sad. Nowadays we have much more comfort, but can't go on the rough roads!
Happy Glamping.
Size does matter! LOL
Old 11-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the video, it has sparked interest for next seasons trips.
Stevec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec4 View Post
Thanks for the video, it has sparked interest for next seasons trips.
Glad to hear it! I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet, I've been holding off on winterizing as long as I can. We got out the last two weekends in a row, which led to more upcoming travel videos. I'm only hoping it's not over yet!
Old 11-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #8

Good stuff!
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
Good stuff!
Thank you Bill, and thanks for subscribing!
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #10

Thank you very much for posting this!!

"Grateful" Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Thank you very much for posting this!!

"Grateful" Steve
Appreciate it Steve!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:

Boondocking on public lands in the West was always our first choice with our 40' motorhome and we did it successfully. Many roads are hard-packed graded gravel. We've done some dirt roads but always be mindful of the weather forecast and drive/park on high ground. If we're not sure we park along the highway or in a nearby lot and disconnect the Jeep to pre-scout out the road and accessibility for the motorhome. We've only had to do that a few times though and even so, we found the road just fine.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

The "fear factor" is part of what I tried to overcome with this video. If you know in advance what you're getting into, why fear it? The number of folks who truly fear camping outside of a campground with full hookups still boggles my mind. IMO, an RV park isn't camping, it's a parking lot. That's just my opinion, of course, and I sincerely don't mean to sound elitist here, but there's a whole new range of experiences out there just waiting for those who truly don't know what they're missing.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
The "fear factor" is part of what I tried to overcome with this video. If you know in advance what you're getting into, why fear it? The number of folks who truly fear camping outside of a campground with full hookups still boggles my mind. IMO, an RV park isn't camping, it's a parking lot. That's just my opinion, of course, and I sincerely don't mean to sound elitist here, but there's a whole new range of experiences out there just waiting for those who truly don't know what they're missing.
X2. We live on an acreage and it's very quiet, backing onto crown land, so like our privacy. Full hookup sites aren't our bag either. That's probably the reason we seldom stay more than 2 nights in any one place. Just too bad so many of our friends seem to need the hookups.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking