Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal

Hi all, Her I come to the experts again! Please tell me about your first boon-docking experience? I will be traveling from Seattle,wa to New Mexico and want to boondock, but how do you pick a place? I want to stay at least a few days at a time. This will be my first boondocking experience, not dry camping thanks pals

ryegal, tip your glass
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of our early "RVing" was boondocking and that was long before our internet days. We picked up local pamphlets on what is now listed below.

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds
Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
True boondocking takes some scouting to find the places you like. It is hard to do this when you are traveling. Go on the internet to the web site : Free or almost free camp grounds. This will help. I am a full timer. I will stop for the night almost anywhere but off the beaten path. Staying a few days requires you to know it is OK to stay there. Check out Fairgrounds. They usually have RV sites and are inexpensive. Many small towns have places you can stay for up to 3 days. City parks, County parks etc. I also have The Gypsie Journal's free or almost free publication.

My road atlas looks like it has the measles as I have highlighted all these places on it in pink for all of the states. It was a chore but worth it.
Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
To me boondocking implies dry camping.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 505 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
To Boondock, you have to be in the boondocks, that means away from civilization in a remote spot where, of course, there are no facilities to hook up to.

You can "Dry Camp" anywhere, but facilities are probably near by if you want to take that route. For instance, is you pull into a rest area and park, but then decide to spend the night, you are dry camping.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
I am originally from northern MN (60 miles to a stop light or single theater, we have a mickyD)(should have seen the wife after a 'just down the road'). I have been told by those here from the east coast that is the boondocks, my contention is that somewhere like Wyoming or Alaska (out side the cities) would be the boon docks.
Please advise.....
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Forestry Service have formal campgrounds or dispersed camping that is either free or low cost and nearly always in some very nice locations. You will also find municipal campgrounds well away from towns and they are also very good value.
Both these places have widely separated sites so you are not jammed in close together, and access is usually not a problem except for having to watch overhead branches.

The purists may not regard it as true boondocking, but at the other end of the spectrum, many rVers consider Walmarts to be a perfect spot too so to each his own.

First trip to the US we spent 4 months on the west coast and adjacent states and didn't ever use a commercial campground.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
If you drive down 40 miles of gravel road to a developed campground that has no hook-ups, but has Potable Water spigots, and vault toiltets, are you boondocking, or just dry camping! Some will say that boondocking is what you do in the Long Term or Dispersed Camping areas in Quartzsite. Just stop somewhere in the middle of nowhere on a patch of dirt and set up camp, the only services you have are the ones that you bring with you. Others consider an overnight in the Walmart Parking Lot boondocking. What comes first "the chicken or the egg" ?

Wikpedia says:
Dry camping (boondocking)Dry camping (boondocking) is camping in a campground or any area without water, electricity and sewage hookups, including parking lots or driveways. In the USA, most campgrounds operated by the US Department of the Interior (BLM, National Park Service, National Monuments, National Wildlife Areas, National Forests) and most state and county campgrounds do not have full hookups for water, sewage or electricity. Dry camping is made more comfortable by having:
  1. A supply of potable water storage within the RV
  2. Enough house-battery power to supply basic camping needs (low voltage lights, water pump, control portion of refrigerator, etc.)
  3. A means of recharging the house battery(s), such as solar panels or generators
  4. Enough wastewater tank capacity to contain the wastewater for several days of camping
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club

The way I read your post is you want to travel across the country and find places to pull off safely and spend the night, maybe pick up a few necessities or get a cooked breakfast and hit the road again.
Mo and I do just that and manage to stay within our travel budget easily. We use;
and also daysend from the Gypsy Journal (Subscription required)
The allstays website gives the best info for us and other then staying at a local shooting range, we have never had a bad experience.
We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks to travel from the CA Sierra Nevada Mtns to south AL and will boondock all the way... .
08 Winnebago Tour 40TD
04 Jeep TJ
Kids Gone, No Pets, FT since 01/10
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Check out-

2005 Dodge, 2500, auto, 2wd. Pac brake PRXB. CB, Max Brake Brake Controller, Rhino Lining, Aero 60 gal. replacement tank.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote