Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Boondocking and cold climate

What is best class b or class c rv for boondocking if weather going to be close to freezing or below. Anyone with experience in these conditions????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #2

The one that comes with a free buddy heater and a full tank of propane!

I dont think there is a good measure of class b vs c in cold weather comparison. One without slides (no air leaks), double pain windows, and sq ft vs heater btu.

Those are probably better aspects to compare vs b vs c vs a vs 5th etc.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A big concern is the basement and the tanks there. Look for one with tank heaters. That said most of those units are not really good in freezing weather. The insulation is pretty poor even on the better quality units. A week here or there is one thing. Doing it for a whole winter? Going to cost you a lot of cashola for heating it.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like you are only going to get close to or a little below freezing. If that is the case almost any Class B or Class C should be fine into the 20's overnight.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Cold Nights

Spent 9 years in a B+ and traveled year around. Mostly in fall, winter and spring to stay away from the summer crowds.

Get a propane heater. Mr. Buddy on the low end. Wave 3 or wave 6 on the high end. Run a propane line to it (dont use bottles unless you have to). These give you heat without requiring any electricity.

Reflectix. Any rig will have insulation issues, but in the cold the windows are the worst. Cut reflectix to fit your windows, use some velcro if needed, but cover those windows, that will save you 10+ degrees inside your rig.

If you put reflectix in your fridge on walls and doors (not shelves) you can turn off the fridge at night before you go to bed and leave it off all night... even in summer!

I never had problems with freezing as I did not stay in places more than a few days. When i was really worried, I used FDA food grade antifreeze for boilers in my water system. I dont drink the water but I wash in it.

Baffin Booty slippers. Warm and never sweat in them. will keep your feet cozy forever... a must in winter.

I prefer B over C ... but now I have an A.... dont like the stuff over the cab... want to see the sky...

For what its worth...
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2017 View Post
What is best class b or class c rv for boondocking if weather going to be close to freezing or below. Anyone with experience in these conditions????
One that can move to warmer weather is the best.

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking