Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #1

Boondocking at the rest stations in Ontario and Quebec ?

Folks,

In July, we are doing a guilt trip up to Ontario. We live in Nova Scotia. We were going to drop into the states via NB and back through through A-bay into Ontario. Take our time...a nice leisurely run.

The game plan has now changed. We have to haul butt up and back which is going to make life a bit more interesting.

What i have always loved about traveling in Quebec and Ontario are the rest stations. I know the cops had problems with them a couple of years back but I hear all is ok now.

Are we allowed to boondock in them ? That would save is the effort of trying to find a site while in motion...and shutting down early each night..

Thanks
Ian.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

We've stayed overnight in the Onroute stations on the 401. Park in the truck area, don't extend the slides or put down the leveling jacks. There are always a lot of trucks but it's not too noisy. You can't park in the picnic areas because they are either locked overnight or have signs stating hours of operation which does not include overnight.

Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Thanks Bill. The DW is unsure but we have never run this route in an RV ...both the rig and TV are new to us... and did a quick peek for Sams and KOA and there isn't much around where we need them. I don't like this rush but in this case, it is what it is...

Ian
Old 02-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #4

Hi. I have stayed at enroute and flying J. Napanee (401). And London. (401). FlyingJ have a sp place for rv,s. Also you can get propane there. Hope this helps Bill

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Bill,

Thanks.

I didn't realize that Flying J was in Canada.

We just joined Sams and I gather, there is a discount for us..

Hard to think travel with this much cold / snow about......

Ian.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Hi Grassy. I am the treasure for good Sam Ont. We are having a Samboree this summer in Richmond Ont just south of Ottawa

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #7

How do you know where you can just stop and camp? I know years ago in Daytona Beach we stopped in a shopping strip and a cop showed up and said MOVE ON LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
You can't park in the picnic areas because they are either locked overnight or have signs stating hours of operation which does not include overnight.

I beg to differ.

We've stayed in many 'closed' rest and picnic areas. On several occasions we've had police or highway patrols stop in. In every occasion they made it clear that the 'closed' hours was merely a requirement before they could tell folks to move on that they didn't want there.

In fact they even mentioned that having us there would deter 'wayward youths' from partying there and / or vandalizing the place.

BTW, I've also had much the same experience at Wally World locations where the local laws prevented overnight parking.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #9

Last summer between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay we pulled into a rest area after midnight when we woke up I notice the sign no over nite parking no one bothered us , I figured police would leave us alone better to sleep then drive tired
gbstewartClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429635276.958626.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	92126

Tags
boondocking