Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Boondocking at Univ Houston Football Stadium?

My daughter is participating in the world's largest kid's triathlon this Sunday up in Houston. We need to be there Saturday night and very early Sunday morning, so naturally I thought about boondocking.

The UH Football stadium would be a perfect place to go, but I don't know where to find info on whether or not that's possible.

Anyone have information about this? Where can I find out? I did find the UH Athletic department online, but there's no logical link to find out about how to get permission...

Thanks for any specifics you can offer.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

My SIL goes to there.. Seen a lot of security running around. Can't remember if it was security or police. I'd start with them.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

The stadium has been demolished to make way for new stadium construction. University of Houston Athletics :: UH Cougars :: Official Athletic Site I do not know if construction has started.

If you are not familiar with that area it would be better to see it before you pick it for boondocking. Everything may be okay but be careful. Check with UofH Dept. of Public Service police and if they approve they may also patrol the area they put you in. Give them a call Phone:(713) 743-3333

Crime report for last 10 days: http://www.uh.edu/police/crime_map.html
Very good school but it just sits in one of those areas where problems arise.

Here are some RV parks in Houston area and maybe something from the list will work if needed. Houston Texas RV Parks - Houston Campgrounds - RV Camping in Texas | Good Sam Club

I have no experience with any on the list.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks for this info... I contacted the UofH Transportation office, and their office of Enforcement. Both said it was ok to park an RV in any open lot. But those crime stats give me reason to pause. I'm not familiar with the city even though I live only an hour away--we rarely drive through it and so we just know it as "Houston." It's a big, big city. I'm sure parts are nice, and others not so much. I was assuming (hoping) that the University area would be descent?

Any Houstonians out there care to chime in? I'd be driving up early Saturday alone, with my family meting me later in the afternoon. We'd stay the night in a parking lot on campus near their Welcome Center (corner of 5 and University).

We would be at the sporting event Saturday, so the rv would be left locked up but empty.

We would return home sometime after the event on Sunday.

Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

Houston is a nice big city with many wonderful areas and as with all cities a few areas that need to improve. I live in the Houston area about 20+ miles from downtown but only a few blocks from city limits. I just wanted to make you aware of the area. If it was me and really needed to stay at the school I would visit with campus police and make them aware you are there and ask for patrols in your area. I would think they would help you. Few miles south on I45 in the Clear Lake area you can find Wal-Mart and Home Depot to stay. Maybe then drive back to UofH Sunday a.m. for the Tri.

Maybe someone else will chime in with better ideal.

Wish your daughter the best in the Tri and hope she has a great time.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The area around the U of H has evolved into a pretty rough area. If you do boondock there, I'd carry a firearm and not open the door for any reason.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok then. Thanks folks. We will leave the coach home and commute up for the race. I really appreciate your local knowledge! Better safe than sorry...

Tags
boondocking