Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #127
Winnebago Owners Club
Our Rand McNally GPS has all of the Walmart's listed. It only gives information whether or not overnight stays are allowed. No ratings.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #128
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Sure would be nice to compile a list of the "nice" Walmarts that are RV friendly. We are parked at one right now (Wasco, CA). We had three stops from Southeast TX. First was Amarillo, TX. Large parking lot with room to spare. Not outside 2 minutes and was confronted by a F/W (female, white) who asked to polish our wheels for ten bucks because she was stranded there and had no money. I then asked if she did not have any money why she was drinking a beer. None the less she walked off without any of my money. Lots of transients in the parking lot. I flagged down the parking lot security guard and gave him 10 bucks if he would make her and her transient friends leave. He ran her and all her friends off. Little peace of mind is all I needed I guess. Second layover was Winslow, AZ. In stark contrast MUCH nicer than Amarillo. Nice, clean parking lot but a little smaller than Amarillo. We were going to stay in Flagstaff but were told (we called ahead of time) that the parking lot was owned by the city and the police would make people leave around 5AM. All in all Winslow was nice. Third layover was supposed to be Bakersfield right off I-40. Not sure why but I just got a bad feeling. Started looking and found what appeared to be a nicer place in Wasco, CA. After passing by and seeing the one in Bakersfield we were going to stay at, it was the right call. Wasco is nice but dusty and the parking lot is not really conveniently set up for a MH and toad but we made it work. All in all I got to thinking. The town I work in has 2 super Walmarts. The one in my beat actually led the nation out of all the Walmarts for theft/shrink. So with all the crime at my home Walmart in all the years of working I have never taken a report of any kind related to anyone staying in an RV. Now with that being said our Walmart is out if the way and about 15 miles south of any major interstate. All in all in the future for layovers we will use Walmarts again. Just our experience.
This summer I twice stayed at the Flagstaff Walmart on Huntington, right in front of a no overnight parking sign, near 15 other RV's with no trouble. So nice to find a cool place in an Arizona summer.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #129
Monaco Owners Club
Winslow was not bad. It got in the 50's the night we stayed there but when driving through Flagstaff we seen why it would be cooler there in the summer. I just did not want to chance running into a officer who might have had a bad attitude and then have to leave and find somewhere else.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #130
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in Flagg right now. There are 2 walmarts here in town. One is "downtown" no overnight parking as it is in a "center of town" shopping center. The center of town one is a very small store, not a super Walmart. The other is out by the freeway, that must be the hunington store, where you can spend the night.

I'm at the kit carson rv park on the business 40, easy in and out for big rigs. they charge $35 for seniors over 65, full hook ups no cable tv, free wifi. it is a heavy forested area. Seems like the try to keep it up, but with the rains, well, nothing is paved. Most folks are pretty friendly and there are some perms here, mostly newer rigs. If you are into the "rv resort parking lot" this is not the place for you, but if you like camping in the forest you will love this place.

Flagstaff, old town, is located north of the 40. Like many rail road towns, there is the freeway, then the rail lines, and finally the town. It sits right at the base of some mountains. Old town on a warm night looks like the big shopping centers in Cali on the day after thanksgiving......

I didn't expect to have to spend 5 days here but wife came down with something. They local urgent care facilities seem to be good. Small town with many of the big box stores present that one could overnight at if needed, but they are spread out!

May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote