Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #57

I have .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
Can you run generator over nite at walmarts ..
The semis parked overnight in their lots run their engines all night long.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #59

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post

You should not put our your slides without putting your hydraulic jacks down first.
Some, like ours, don't even have jacks, just air leveling so no problem for us.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
We have large jack pads we put down before extending the jacks. More than doubles the area of the jack. Have never left a mark let alone any damage.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #61
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
...You should not put our your slides without putting your hydraulic jacks down first. Some coaches are do not have exactly balanced slides. It's not that your coach will tip over to one side, but more about keeping the frame level and as square as possible to prevent torqueing slide jambs. If you are going to buy a slide on your coach, then stay in RV parks.

I'm sorry you can reach the pancake mix in the morning and the coffee maker is hard to put water in with the slide retracted. But, let's face it, when you put out your slide the slide cover (awning) extends to prevent direct rain penetration. So, you are putting your awnings out! To use a slide as designed, you must put down your jacks and put out your awning ...

Not really true for many MH's. My Newmar wants the FWS extended while fully aired up, jacks up.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #62
gr8

Down In The Boondocks

Love all the posts/opinions about Boondocking. But, let me tell you, not sure I will get any sleep now LOL Only thing going through my head is that ole song
"Down In The Boondocks"
Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sitting in the Whitehorse YK. Walmart. Last count was 51 RV's and counting. Rather small lot, so you see some creative parking. Hope to get out of here by 7 am. We were lucky to get the last curbside spot, but decided not to put the slide out because we're not quite level and water off the slide might run towards the trailer. Had a bunch of fast rain events here today. Made 3 trips shopping to Walmart, one to Canadian Tire and one 3 blocks away for dairy & produce. ( not a Super Walmart here).
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #64
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Sitting in the Whitehorse YK. Walmart. Last count was 51 RV's and counting. Rather small lot, so you see some creative parking. Hope to get out of here by 7 am. We were lucky to get the last curbside spot, but decided not to put the slide out because we're not quite level and water off the slide might run towards the trailer. Had a bunch of fast rain events here today. Made 3 trips shopping to Walmart, one to Canadian Tire and one 3 blocks away for dairy & produce. ( not a Super Walmart here).

Wow, one time in Maine we had 20 or so but most times its one or two others at most for us.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #65

Superslif,
We are currently in Prince George, having to modify our plans as it seems the road is closed north of Dawson Creek due to floods. Guess you made it thru before the floods?
We will have to take the Cassiar Hwy up to Watson Lake now, and hopefully make it thru Dawson Creek on return trip.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
No offense taken Such serious discussion stuff should be only taken with popcorn

You should not put our your slides without putting your hydraulic jacks down first. Some coaches are do not have exactly balanced slides. It's not that your coach will tip over to one side, but more about keeping the frame level and as square as possible to prevent torqueing slide jambs. If you are going to buy a slide on your coach, then stay in RV parks.

I'm sorry you can reach the pancake mix in the morning and the coffee maker is hard to put water in with the slide retracted. But, let's face it, when you put out your slide the slide cover (awning) extends to prevent direct rain penetration. So, you are putting your awnings out! To use a slide as designed, you must put down your jacks and put out your awning (slide cover) it is called overnight camping. Glamdocking, in you case! Nothing wrong with it, but it seems to me if you can afford a 100k coach with slides then you can afford to stay at a RV Resort that has 50 amp service for you! And for Pete's sake, don't run your gen set all night There are those of us who like to sleep with out the noise
A slide topper is not an awning!
Some rigs require you to stay in travel mode to put out slides, before you level.
Some of us have air leveling and/or jacks that go to the axle, not the ground.
Walmart publishes that they welcome RVers and make no mention of slides.
In my opinion, as long as you don't have your "awning" out and you are not blocking more parking spaces than are absolutely necessary, and you are parked away from store prime parking, and you have permission...It is really none of our business what people do. The stores have people that are out in the parking lot all day and most of the night. I think they will let us know when we are out of line.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Sounds like a couple of the larger caravan groups have gotten stranded with out spots.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got back from monthly shopping trip to town. I park between Smiths grocery and Walmart in the Walmart parking lot here in Kingman Arizona and walk between the 2 stores pushing my grocery carts to load into my truck. When I got out of my truck to head to Walmart the smell of S.... hit me on the 110 degree day that it is.

Older moho was parked 2 spaces over, wet black water smear with TP trails underneath it running across a parking space down towards a rain water drain. Clearly the black water tank was severely leaking and the parking lot was wet, stinky and intensely smelled like human KaKa!!!!!! Very nasty stuff. I couldn't help myself, I had to say something to the service desk. I explained that I owned a moho and have spent many nights at north American Walmarts. Told the employee that this was clearly an abuse of privilege and suggested that perhaps they should have the coach towed before the city stepped in and cited Walmart for exposed human waste in their parking lot.

2 hours later when we finished our shopping, the coach was still there and the crap was still leaking out of it....... Folks like this is how we will loose our privilege to park at Walmart.....:banghea d:
Old 06-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
A slide topper is not an awning!
Some rigs require you to stay in travel mode to put out slides, before you level.
Some of us have air leveling and/or jacks that go to the axle, not the ground.
Walmart publishes that they welcome RVers and make no mention of slides.
In my opinion, as long as you don't have your "awning" out and you are not blocking more parking spaces than are absolutely necessary, and you are parked away from store prime parking, and you have permission...It is really none of our business what people do. The stores have people that are out in the parking lot all day and most of the night. I think they will let us know when we are out of line.
Parts on a slide topper are the same as on an awning. I've repaired both. An awning is cloth/canvas on a roller that extends. What can I say
Old 06-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #70

Was any one in that messy MH. Could you have not knocked on the door and requested they clean up their mess. Being proactive can assist in maintaining the Wallyworld privilege.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire

Tags
boondocking