Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I think that Walmart and other stores with large lots could increase their income and make more happy customers by drawing lines for RV's and installing 50/30 amp poles with credit card machines to pay by the hour. I would be happy to pay $1 or $2 per hour to get a good night's sleep in the heat of the summer.
Not enough room on this forum to list all the reasons that will never happen.

Perhaps in 10-20 years when there is no more retail establishments as everything will be bought online they could turn them all into RV parks.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #86
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
Not enough room on this forum to list all the reasons that will never happen. Perhaps in 10-20 years when there is no more retail establishments as everything will be bought online they could turn them all into RV parks.
Well thanks for brightening our day Texasranger. I still think my idea could rescue profits for some stores especially during the slow but hot summer months.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #87

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are some motels doing it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #88

FWIW I don't think retail will go away in 20 years. Too many people need something now, want to see and feel what they are buying, or are just killing time looking. That keeps incentive to have folks go into the store so they need parking. I don't see incentive to put in what are essentially RV pads as that would give the local camp grounds room to complain as well as encouraging squatters. Not good for business. The motels I have seen with power hook ups were trying to cash in on the traveling public any way they could.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #89
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I don't think retail will go away in 20 years. Too many people need something now, want to see and feel what they are buying, or are just killing time looking. That keeps incentive to have folks go into the store so they need parking. I don't see incentive to put in what are essentially RV pads as that would give the local camp grounds room to complain as well as encouraging squatters. Not good for business. The motels I have seen with power hook ups were trying to cash in on the traveling public any way they could.
I wonder if there is a directory of motels and other non-RV parks that have power hookups in their parking lots. I know only of this one:

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
yes, I'd like to see more of this style of RV park. I'm really disappointed by the RV park industry and their high rates. Beatty Nevada Space Station RV park manages to charge $25 a night and do just fine. some of the $50 per night spots are just not worth the money,10 or 12 hour stay, so I stay along the road more and more.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #91

Off hand I have never seen one like that. I think there is a motel between Buffalo and Niagara Falls with a few RV spots and a Tavern on Rt 6 in PA with a few. Never saw the asphalt 40 acres setup. ;-)
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #92

Quote:
I think that Walmart and other stores with large lots could increase their income and make more happy customers by drawing lines for RV's and installing 50/30 amp poles with credit card machines to pay by the hour. I would be happy to pay $1 or $2 per hour to get a good night's sleep in the heat of the summer.
RV Vagabond
There's an auto parts store adjacent to a Walmart parking lot somewhere south of Oklahoma City where there are 4-5 20A electrical receptacles on the building for RVs overnighting at Walmart to plug into.

When we overnighted there 3 years ago the electricity was free.

I can't remember the name of the town.
Sorry

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #93

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I wonder if there is a directory of motels and other non-RV parks that have power hookups in their parking lots. I know only of this one:

and

MC Enterprises Directory

You would have to call the motel and check on wheter or not they had hookups and what the over night parking charges are.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:57 AM   #94
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
RV Vagabond
There's an auto parts store adjacent to a Walmart parking lot somewhere south of Oklahoma City where there are 4-5 20A electrical receptacles on the building for RVs overnighting at Walmart to plug into. When we overnighted there 3 years ago the electricity was free. I can't remember the name of the town.
Sorry

Mel
'96 Safari
Can you run your air conditioner on 20 amp?

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Old 08-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #95

Quote:
RV Vagabond
There's an auto parts store adjacent to a Walmart parking lot somewhere south of Oklahoma City where there are 4-5 20A electrical receptacles on the building for RVs overnighting at Walmart to plug into.
When we overnighted there 3 years ago the electricity was free.
I can't remember the name of the town.
Sorry
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Can you run your air conditioner on 20 amp?
RV Vagabond
I can not.
(But I can't run my air conditioner when I overnight in any Walmart parking lot unless I run the generator).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #96

Entegra Owners Club
That "lot" shown in Vegas is actually an RV Park located next to I515 and two blocks off Fremont Street. Not exactly a boon docking location with power or a parking lot (although I think it is a converted parking lot. Last I heard it was $30-35/night.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
RV Vagabond
I can not.
(But I can't run my air conditioner when I overnight in any Walmart parking lot unless I run the generator).
Mel
'96 Safari
I can. I can actually run it on 15amp service if I shut my batery charger off. My AC uses 14 amps if my EMS shows it correctly. Obviously only one can run when I am hooked up that way and nothing else. But I can. That's all I have at my house.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #98

I have run my AC off a 20 amp outlet many times, in many of my families driveways.

No microwave or coffee maker without shutting the AC down first. The battery charger has to be in float mode and fridge on gas.

Tags
boondocking