Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
boondocking is clearly not done is cities. Boondocking is not done by folks in 40 foot DP buses. There in lies the "boogle". One mans boondocking is another mans "Glamping" Sitting in a Walmart parking lot making margirita's with the AC running, the big screen TV playing Netflix through the sat uplink and the gen set powering everything is not boondocking. It is however unthinkable that you would do this with out inviting me to share those frosty salty drinks! I would call it "Glamdocking"

Now, the poor sob who is sweating and attempting to sleep in the back of his van at Walmart with his vent fan slowly running down his starting battery could be called booddocking, or at least that is what he will feel like he has been doing in the morning when he wakes up to that dead battery in a sweat mushy sleeping bag with a full bladder.

So, what we are all doing out there is having an adventure that we haven't had before. Camping, Overnight parking, Boondocking, Glamping, or the newest of them all Glamdocking!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #16

OK - newbie with a dumb question....

When you do "insert correct verbiage" at Walmart...do you put your slides out? I thought I read somewhere there was a reference to "no slides".

Now I know you shouldn't be putting out an awning, starting a campfire, putting out chairs etc etc etc. But no slides would be quite uncomfortable for the 5 of us (plus dog).

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #17

We routinely put our slides out when we overnight at a Walmart--find a spot that has a curb and parking spaces marked, and far enough away from everybody that no one ever uses those spaces to park and shop. Then pull in next to the curb with door-side to curb and you are almost set--you step out onto the curb/grass area and the door-side slide(s) will be over the curb. As to the off-door slides----if you parked as stated above, you will have plenty of room to extend them inside the parking space lines and where no one would normally drive.
Use some common sense to note where you are likely to be out of the mainstream traffic and not be in anyone's way.
This works well for us, but not all WM lots fit this scenario, and you may end up with a semi in the next line of parking spaces that will idle the engine all night. In your travels, each time you go by a WM, just make a note of where the other RVs/trucks are at that time and you will begin understand where you can park and not be in the way.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I call it "overnighting". It's not camping, and it's certainly not "in the boondocks".
The only places you can truly boondock these days is on BLM land or private property (with the owners permission of course.) Everything else is drycamping, overnighting or parking.
My opinion, of course. Call it what you will.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #19

I believe the no slides, no jacks, no generator recommendations come from the FMCA, a campground organization.

I emailed Walmart, asking about generators, jacks and slides and got the same response that they publish on their web site.

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
"The Boondocks is an American expression which comes from the Filipino word bundok. It originally referred to a remote rural area, but now is often applied to an out of the way city or town that is considered backwards and unsophisticated."
Well.. in KY where I grew up... we always called it [moderator edit]

Personally.. I prefer to call it Wallydocking !!

Whatever you call it... its a privilege we are lucky to have.. we LOVE going inside and getting our gallon of chocolate milk and chocolate and powdered gem donuts...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #21

Face it, this is like gas vs diesel. Some folks are roughing it when all they have is 30 Amp service and some find that luxury. ;-) My vote is wallydocking is boondocking.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
IMHO Wal-docking can be called anything but camping. It's camping when you have FHU and the slides out and rope lights strung out and a campfire and s'mores and maybe some beer.
Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
CampDaven
Try telling that to a "tenter".

BTW I call stopping for the night at a Walmart, truck stop or rest area "overnighting".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #23
Commercial Member

obviously, juggler has not stayed in some of the walmarts ive stayed in
wild animals, including skunks, prowlers, drug deals observed, wild football parties at 2 am by teens. trucks parked inches away.
boondocking, dry camping. no, its WALMART PARKING a whole nother experience sometimes.
seriously, its a good place to just do an overnight, while you are traveling.
ive stayed at hundreds of walmarts since ive worked and travelled for hwh.
ive never felt unsafe at any walmart ive stayed at. just have to be aware of my surroundings.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #24

I've done lots of Walmarts across the nation. I try to be as inconspicuous as possible (as I would in a Cracker Barrel or other non campground).

We all should understand that this is a great privilege Walmart is extending to us. We also should understand that some communities do not like the overnighting of RVs in these lots. These communities are passing laws not allowing this privilege.
I'll do my part and try and keep the peace with others who don't want us staying there.
Others may disagree, and well, that is their prerogative. But as we are seeing this privilege is slowing being revoked across the country.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
We routinely put our slides out when we overnight at a Walmart--find a spot that has a curb and parking spaces marked, and far enough away from everybody that no one ever uses those spaces to park and shop. Then pull in next to the curb with door-side to curb and you are almost set--you step out onto the curb/grass area and the door-side slide(s) will be over the curb. As to the off-door slides----if you parked as stated above, you will have plenty of room to extend them inside the parking space lines and where no one would normally drive.
Use some common sense to note where you are likely to be out of the mainstream traffic and not be in anyone's way.
This works well for us, but not all WM lots fit this scenario, and you may end up with a semi in the next line of parking spaces that will idle the engine all night. In your travels, each time you go by a WM, just make a note of where the other RVs/trucks are at that time and you will begin understand where you can park and not be in the way.
Joe
That's the way we do it also. First pic is storeside, second is curbside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5853.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	128859   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5854.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	128860  

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We used 3 ( Wally-docking) over nights and one Cabela's to make our way across the country from Ohio to Montana. I pre planned at each 400 mile day 3-4 possible stops including Walmarts, Cabela's, Pilots or other free boondocking spots. One might be at 350, another at 400 and maybe 425. So one day I might drive more or because of yesterday's high winds in WY. I was only able to make it to Billings MT.

I did notice the further west I went the more RVers would put out their slides. In our 26' tt we have never put out our slide till last night. When we pulled in to the Billings Wally World, it was like camp Wally World. Everyone had their slides open. Fact there were many who looked like they have been there for a few days because they were unhooked from their RV trailer. So we found a nice curb spot and out went the slide. Made a reservation for a private campground in Bozeman tonight to get set for crossing over to Canada on our way to Alaska to tomorrow.

One thing I don't want to do it park at a truck stop or rest area where your right next to a idling truck all night. Been there done it. I'll do that as a very last resort.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #27

The difference between boondocking and wallydocking is not the noise, the flood lights, solid asphalt, or security cameras. Its the climate-controlled bathroom within walking distance (even if you never use it).
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #28

Ok... I was reluctant to make this comment.. and I still am a bit nervous.. my ONLY beef/complaint about stopping at Walmart..

But, seeing as we are a bunch of Wallydockers here... How many of you who've stayed at a Walmart feel the parking lot sweeper truck does laps around/drives close to your RV for fun... at let's say... at 3:00am ???

Don't get me wrong.. I'll deal with that small inconvenience for the privilege.. but it does get a bit old...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, boondocking