Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Boondocking = Drycamping= ???

Hi, All

I really like this forum about boondocking!
But the WORD is kind of new to me- it sounds like what I've always called "drycamping": camping in dispersed settings, usually free, without amenities such as power, water, etc.
That's the way I like to camp!
But I'm wondering- is "boondocking" different, maybe in degrees or something?
There sure are a lot of folks doing it more or less full time...is that real "boondocking"
Or is it just another way of saying the same thing as drycamping?

Thanks for answering a newbie's questions...

Francesca

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As far as I know, they are the same. Some may consider boondocking to be more out in the "boonies".

What are the song lyrics? "down in the boon docks" I think of that song whenever I read the word.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

To me, dry camping indicates self sufficiency, but could be in the industrial section of a city, or in a church parking lot, Ect.

Boondocking indicates the same no hookups situation but out "in the wild's".

Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, folks

I'm such a cheapskate, I almost never pay to camp- now I know that when I'm out a few miles past the Middle of Nowhere I'm boondocking, and when I'm in the Walmart lot/rest area etc. I'm drycamping!

Francesca
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #5

Parking at wallmart is is becoming a thing of the past. Then there is the crime, wallmarts are where there is a lot of people moving at all times of the day and night. Most rest stops don't allow over night parking. We have done truck stops also . We have traveled some 20 + years and Boondockerswecome works for us. We have stayed in cities and in the country. Over 730 listings and growing. It does not replace a campsite for a week with a play ground but for 1 or 2 nights while traveling thru it's great. Trust us it's great ! At least check out the web site, we are in there.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the others. For me boondocking is free camping out in the boonies. This is truly dispersed camping in the wilds...never paid. On the other hand dry camping just means you're camping without hookups. Dry camping can be paid...it can be in a developed campsite (e.g. In a national forest campground or state park)..you just don't have hookups. Now overnighting in a Walmart? I guess you could call it dry camping, but I like to call it wallydocking
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It means the same to me for what you are doing with your rig, which is no hook ups. However, there is a big difference between staying in Walmart, a rest area, truck stop, or in the middle of a National Forest!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy money View Post
Parking at wallmart is is becoming a thing of the past.
A thing of the past? On our way to FL, along I-75, you will see RVs in almost every Walmart lot. We ourselves almost always stay the 2 nights we're on the road to Ocala at a WM lot.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
A thing of the past? On our way to FL, along I-75, you will see RVs in almost every Walmart lot. We ourselves almost always stay the 2 nights we're on the road to Ocala at a WM lot.
I don't solicit business at Walmart in any way, shape, or form, so I can't verify this, but I've spoken with numerous people who have stated that many Wal-Marts no longer allow overnight parking. According to Wal-Mart's web page "Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV"

- Randy
Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
plus the savings of either is a great motivator...I keep track of my costs and even running the gen to have AC on these hot days, I still save money over staying at a campground where all I use is their power, a little water and use the sewer before leaving. I try not to stay at a CG unless I have a heavy-use of any of those utilities planned (i.e. cleaning out my tanks really good). We can take a shower at a truck stop and fill up our water and empty our waster water there or at a rest stop. We aren't broke but why pay $30 for $10 worth of use? Sure we have to conserve while dry camping but if you were in your own home, don't you try to conserve too? Just a thought
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
many Wal-Marts no longer allow overnight parking.
My impression is that perhaps there are a very few stores that do have space problems or temporary problems with "undesirables" (their word, not mine) setting up house for weeks at a time, the great majority of N.O.P. Walmarts are because there is a city ordinance against it.
Even with those NOP stores, there are still a heck of a lot that do allow it.

My preference is for Home Depot parking lots. Very select clientele - normally just us - and permission has always been given when we ask provided it isn't an NOP town - AND most of them have 24/7 fast free WiFi as well
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree with the others. For me boondocking is free camping out in the boonies. This is truly dispersed camping in the wilds...never paid. On the other hand dry camping just means you're camping without hookups. Dry camping can be paid...it can be in a developed campsite (e.g. In a national forest campground or state park)..you just don't have hookups. Now overnighting in a Walmart? I guess you could call it dry camping, but I like to call it wallydocking
This sounds pretty correct to me !
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I hate to equate boon=docking with dry camping. When Hubby and I go out to the wilds that we know have no facilities...that is boon-docking, but when we are going cross-country and we need a few hours sleep....we gratefully pull into a Walmart or Cracker Barrel lot with permission just to rest....not to CAMP.

Not to whip this horse again, but when will people learn that sometimes we just need a place to pull off the highway and sleep. We will always spend moneyat the store and then be on our way with not a spot to be found,

I am so tired of people saying that they are "camping" at Walmart. We are just gratefully sleeping in the parking lot....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #14

I think of the distinction this way:

Boondocking refers to WHERE you park -- and implies parking in the boonies, outside of designated campgrounds or RV parks.

Dry camping refers to HOW you park -- and implies parking without hookups in campgrounds or RV parks

So in order to boondock you have to dry camp (you will never find hookups outside designated campgrounds/RV parks).

But you can dry camp without boondocking (for instance, in a national forest campground).

Generally, boondocking is free. Dry camping, however, can cost $20 a night in some of the nicest national forest campgrounds.

Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking