Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #15

Palo Duro canyon SP in TX. 1874, MacKenzie, Commander of the 4th U.S. Cavalry shot and killed 1500 Comanche horses. The bones were still in that same spot for dozens of years and a landmark. Some have heard a ghost herd running at night while camping.
irv2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #16

we were tent camping and boating up at a lake last summer in a very busy campground. about 2 in the morning some drunk people stop and get out of their car. one of the ladies come right up to our tent and unzip the door and ask if Debbie is there. could not believe it! jumped up out of bed and explained to her and her friends in no uncertain terms that their friends were not in our camp sight and it would be in their best interest to leave in a timely fashion. my wife asked them if they were trying to get shot
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #17

A couple years ago, when we had a pop- up tent camper, ( no bathroom facilities in the pop- up), the DW wakes me at 3am to tell me that I had to use the bathroom, and since she was awake, she'd walk with me. We walk up the pathway of this nice campground toward the restrooms when we hear something moving besides us. We quicken our pace and get to the restroom. On the way back, all is quiet. The next night, about 3am again I am again told I need to use the bathroom, but this time we grab a flash light for our walk. Once again there is a wrestling along the path. We quicken our steps to the restroom and on the way back to the tent we finally spotted the source of the noise... There were about 12 skunks scurrying along the roadway checking out various camp sites. For the rest of the week, no one needed to use the bathroom during the night. We now have a 30 ft Class A with bathroom facilities. LOL
Bill-Sandy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
"There's a sqauch in those woods"

If you watch the TV reality show "hunting big foot" you know what I mean.
I always do the Squatch call when camping with one of our friends... His wife is terrified of Bigfoot ... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should see her eyes when I start bringing it up
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A few years back my wife and I were in a NP campground in South Carolina. At that time we had a popup camper pulled by a small car. After setting up camp I hiked to the Ranger Station to let them know we were there. The Ranger warned me to watch for the bears as it was early spring and they were starting to come out of the mountains. As I hiked back to the campsite I caught site of the DW standing behind the car. As I got closer I saw the reason. A sow was sitting by our campfire enjoying the box of homemade chocolate chip cookies, my cookies. This was not going to settle well. As I entered the campsite the bear picked up a pot of hot coffee from next to the fire, burned it paws, let out a "grunt" and scampered off to the bear proof garbage cans to finish it's meal. We did not sleep real sound that evening. I miss those cookies.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
doc

Appalachian Campers
March 6, 1987, I had just turned 40 years old in the middle of the Okeefenokee Swamp (extreme SW Georgia) wish some guys I worked with and some kids from my son's high school class. We had paddled 36 miles thru the swamp and spent two nights on platforms in swamp with little or no problems except one, when a couple of guys with us had turned a canoe over beside one of the platforms. We had made it to our destination and was camping our last night at Stephen Foster State Park.
We were tired and all of us hit the tents pretty early, although it was well after dark. My son, who was given permission by his HS to take the trip with us as and educational experience, and I shared a small two-man pup tent made of light weight nylon. We had left a lantern burning when we turned in since there was little light in the camp tenting area. The lantern was on a picnic table made of concrete and someone in the group had left a can of Beanie Wienies sitting on the table.
Some time during the night I was awakened by the sound of the can hitting the table. As I stuck my head out of the sleeping bag I could see light outside the tent from the lantern, still burning. Then this shadow crossed between the light and the tent wall. It was huge, as big as the side of the tent. Instantly I knew it was a bear, messing around the CG looking for a meal. There are quite a few black bear in the swamp and it is not unusual to see them crossing the access road. Anyway, I sat there and watched this thing moving around until I could get quietly to the zipper and open the flap to confront the blackie. I eased up and opened the flap ready to yell at the bear only to see a raccoon trying to open the beanie wienies. His shadow image, being a few feet from the light source cast a huge shadow on the side of the tent that was still further away from the light. I laughed at myself, zipped up a little tighter and went back to sleep.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doc

Great story. I was on the edge of my seat. But then you left a cliff hanger. What happened to the "Bennie Winnie's".

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
THanks Tom. I want to say that some of those 'walking stomach' kids we were with ate them for breakfast, but more than likely they got tossed in the grub box. After that many days and miles in the swamp they ate everything I fixed for supper that night (steaks and fried sliced potatoes) and were ready for more the next morning.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #23

Several years ago while camped in a Nation Forest CG in the Eastern Sierra at the 7000 foot level only two other campers in the CG. About 10 pm I was sitting beside a really great campfire, just me and our two dogs DW had went inside the TT for the night. The two dogs suddenly got up and started walking around with their ears perked up, eyes wide open acting really alert. These were not small dogs, one was a husky/shepherd the other was border collie/akita both had been around if you know what I mean. This got my attention, thinking it might be a bear or coyote, who knows. Then I hear this screaming sound coming from an area in the mountains maybe two to three hundred yards above us. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I have never heard a sound like it before, lasted about three minutes. The two guys in a campsite below where we were camped came up to our site having seen our campfire and both were just as baffled by the screaming sound as I was. Now fast foward to present day I am watching a documentary on TV about Bigfoot (please don't laugh) and they played a recording that some campers had made of what they claimed to be Bigfoot. You guessed it, that was the same sound I heard that night with the Dogs, they are both gone now. Man I miss those Dogs.
Bill
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tomtall, Before I got a phone with a camera, I used to see a lot of UFOs and occasionally spotted "Bigfoot". Haven't seen a thing in the few years I have carried something to back up my stories.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #25

We love to go to rodeos and usually boondock in the parking lot. Late one afternoon, we found a rodeo while driving west of Boise ID. Since we were sort of late arriving we parked in a field with lots of cars and pickup trucks with horse trailers all around us. The rodeo went on well past midnight so we decided to just go to bed. We fell asleep and slept soundly. In the morning I awoke to a strange sound I could not identify all around the motorhome. I laid there for a while trying to identify what I was hearing. I awoke the DW and we both laid there trying to figure it out. I popped my head up and low and behold we were boondocking in field full of the rodeo stock. There were dozens of steers, bulls and horses happily munching on the grass all around the motorhome. There were no other vehicles around us. We were the only vehicle in the pasture. What a shock between the sight the night before and the daylight. DW wanted to make breakfast right there but I was too worried about how to get out of this situation in the pasture. So we quickly got dressed and drove through the herd towards where we arrived the day before and found a closed gate. Just as if it was planned a small young boy was walking towards the gate and opened it for us and waved good bye.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Not for me it wouldn't!!!!!!!! I once camped in the West VA area and had a lot of thoughts about the Bert Reynold's movie....I think it was something about the "Wilderness"!
That would have been "Deliverance", and it was in Georgia.
If you are boondocking and hear banjo music, get out of there.

Tags
boondocking