Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Boondocking ghost stories

Ok this one is for all you boondockers. In your times boondocking have you ever had any scary,unexplainable, need another drink, what the "H" was that moment? There has to be some stories to tell that are related to being out in the boonies alone and in the wild. If you have a humorous story that would work as well.

Thanks for sharing

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

On our land in far northern WI.
One mile from Lake Superior.

We are camped 1/4 mile down a logging road. All things must go in and out on a push cart. All....things!

And some folks think they are boondocking now? Teh.

A cloudless night. In our tent.
No wind.
Fog.
Deep fog.
Sleeping.

In the woods. Close by.
CRASH-CRASH-CRASH-SQEEEEL-HUFF-huff huff.
Total....silence.

I was out of the tent at the first CRASH. Nothing to see but fog.
Can only listen.
A bear.
Black bear.
Killed a fawn.

I do not boondock nor Wal-dock. I am spoiled!
Did REAL boondocking for over 20 years.

Spoiled.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

We were boondocking in AZ a couple of years ago with no one around for miles. It was a hot night and I needed to pee so I decided to go outside and cool off a bit too.

My DW heard steps outside... then the door opened and steps into the 5th wheel. Thinking I was in bed next to her, she let out the loudest.. "HEEEY!!!!!" that could be heard for miles. Good thing I had just pee'd or I'd have pee'd myself!

We laugh about that story still today. I also tell her "that's why we don't have a gun next to her side of the bed!"
kjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

A number of years back I camped with some friends along a small creek in Northern California for a couple nights. It was Thanksgiving weekend. We got in a bit late the first night , set up the camper, set out the chairs, started a fire, and opened a couple of coldies. As we sat around enjoying our spot and revisiting our day of travel sites, we began to hear something in the water. It would happen randomly, and only last briefly. But happened over and over. Of course we could see nothing in the dark. I realized it was not an elk, or a deer, nor a near. But what could it be then? The sound seems to loud and voluminous to be anything small like a raccoon or anything similar. Otters usually are fairly to totally silent. So what the heck can it possibly be?

After being about ready for coldie three, my buddy's wife comes out and says "instead of standing beside the creek in the dark why don't you guys use this?! Yep, she had a large spot light. From the RV. Twelve volt. Of course he said "Yes Dear!" Me too.

So we remove the battery from the RV. Take it to the creek shore. Get everything ready for 100th time that ghost splashed across the creek. Since we were now on the verge of solving a major mystery, we waited...and waited...and waited...longer that ever between water-prancer noises. But alas, finally, there was the noise again. "Hit the light!", yelled in a whisper-yell of excitement. We knew we had'em this time! And we did.

Salmon. Spawning salmon. Swimming up the shallow creek, working thru the shallows.

Everybody laughed. I said I knew all along what it was. Nobody believed me!!! NOO-Body.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

In the middle of nowhere, I heard a growl just outside at 2AM. I thought that a coyote was rather close to the 5er and went back to sleep.
Fast forward a week. I was sitting in my lounge chair reading with my collie/shelty sleeping next to me. For a dog who never growled before, he was doing a good job in his sleep. I found the source of the 2 AM growls.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Boondocking at this primitive campground with only two other campers scattered about. Middle of the night when we heard something scratching at the bedroom window. Thought it was a bear until I got my 3 million candle power spotlight pointed it out the window. Suddenly illuminated outside was a very drunk camper trying to get into our trailer. He said he tried the door but it must have been broken because he couldn't get in! I pointed him in the direction of the other two campers and told him to "GET!"
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

I was boon docking in CFB Gagetown New Brunswick in 1984 in a squadron hide with 18 other 6x6 armoured LAVs and I was out cold in the back of my tankette when I was awaken at 3 am with someone playing with the back hatch. I looked at my watch realizing this was not my time to do the radio watch so I told the lost soldier so and to have sex and travel and leave me alone. It had been a long day
When I was shaving the next morning I noted the back hatch of my Cougar. All down the back where claw marks. I guess a black near was trying to get at our food. So happy I was tired and yelled. And did not open the hatch.

From the movie apocalypse now. Don't get out of the boat. Takes on special means for me
Gank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

Since my DW and I haul our embroidery business with us (we do about 40 shows a year), our 'boondocking' is normally in a parking lot of a convention center, fair grounds, etc.

A few weeks ago we arrived a day early at one horse show, parked the rig and trailer in the back of the lot and opened a cold one before quitting for the night. We heard (herd) some weird sounds somewhere off in the dark and started to get somewhat nervous.

About the time I was headed for my Smith and Wesson, out of the dark came the noisiest horse (big) I've ever come face to face with.

I guess that's what you get when you're set up at a horse show??

Happy Travels,
Lew
Texas Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was not boon docking, but one night, beside a lake in GA, I was sitting alone by my campfire, when I felt this cold nose, brush up against my elbow. Automatically, I invisioned a bear or some other wild animal. I slowly turned my head toward the animal and was relieved, to see this big German Sheppard, standing beside me! Seems like he just wanted some company and to be by the warm fire. No other RV was anywhere close to me, so I had no idea where he came from.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add Lib

Quote:
I slowly turned my head toward the animal and was relieved, to see this big German Sheppard, standing beside me!
That story would have been a lot cooler if it were a wear wolf!

Their home state is GA you know. I think there's a reality show about them.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
That story would have been a lot cooler if it were a wear wolf!

Their home state is GA you know. I think there's a reality show about them.
Not for me it wouldn't!!!!!!!! I once camped in the West VA area and had a lot of thoughts about the Bert Reynold's movie....I think it was something about the "Wilderness"!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Not for me it wouldn't!!!!!!!! I once camped in the West VA area and had a lot of thoughts about the Bert Reynold's movie....I think it was something about the "Wilderness"!
Dinga ding da ding da ding da ding........
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #13

Back about 35 years ago my wife and I were camping on Lake Superior near Grand Maris Mi.. We are in a federal campground with no civilization for miles and maybe 1 other camper there.There we were sitting around the fire the night air was still. We were listening to the Tigers ballgame and I heard a stick break in the woods next to us. I go to my wife did you hear that? She goes to me it's just your mind playing games on you. I go and get my flashlight and look into the woods. It was like the woods just sucked the light out of it. So I sat back down and kept looking around trying to see anything that moved. It wasn't 5 minutes later all of a sudden what sounded like 3 or 4 inch stick/log snapped. We both ran into our van that we were camping in and called it a night. Never did find out what it was.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it be?

"There's a sqauch in those woods"

If you watch the TV reality show "hunting big foot" you know what I mean.

Tags
boondocking