RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

Boondocking Hangover

We ended just about five straight weeks of boonddocking, our first every in our new coach. We've only been full time since December. One at Earp BLM, three near Quartzite and one week at Joshua Tree South.

Pulled into a park in the Palm Springs area this morning and maybe it's just a bad day but we want to be out in the wilderness again.

Some guy took our spot as we looped around to get a better angle (will leave the wife to guard it next time), our second choice has our front wheels up on four 2x12's to keep the front wheels from drooping and the neighbors didn't like where we parked our Toad but smiled, said it would be okay and then immediately informed the office which got us a visit from the cranky security guy.

We had better cell signal at all our boondocking sites and all our boondocking spots we level too. To top it all off, we've got a whopping 20 psi water pressure.

Is it always this bad when you return to "civilization?" All I know is all the boondocking mods to make life out there easier and keep us out longer just got bumped up the top of the to-do list.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #2

Nice. How did you keep entertained for 5 weeks. Did you have neighbors to talk to , or did you spend days away from home?

kgduyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgduyck View Post
Nice. How did you keep entertained for 5 weeks. Did you have neighbors to talk to , or did you spend days away from home?
Both. We spent our time in Q with friends. The week before and after, we explored the area, went on hikes and just hung out at our camp. As I said, we had great coverage and Netflix was our friend. But even if we didn't have that, we have about 250 movies with us.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 AM   #4

Your thread title had me laughing Loved it, Boondocking Hangover

Yes, it is crappy when ya re-enter civilization, at least I think so! You have to deal with 'all the stuff' again from every angle.

I love your 'to do' list for upgrading your boondocking adventures just got total priority. What is on your 'to do' list to make it better for you guys? Just curious.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

I'd almost rather stay at a rest stop than a "RV Park". Just pulling into one sends that blanket of dread over you doesn't it? The people watching can be quite entertaining though.

We prefer State and County Parks since they are generally more spread out. We have not done much boondocking, but i just finished installing 435 watts of solar and in May we head towards Moab and the G.C. for 3 weeks, so it's going to be a lot of BLM 'dockin and we just can't wait!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

so agree Motor! The 'rv park' is usually a 'parking lot' with the neighbors sewer hose like 6 ft from your awning ugh......we did our share of those and real fast went in another direction of rving.

3 weeks til fun freedom...with your new solar! Can't wait to hear about your trip report!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm so in agreement with you! I hate staying in RV parks. They are simply noisy, expensive parking lots. I have a little dog who barks at every noise and a monkey who likes to visit other RVs looking for food.

We are now in La Posa BLM south of Quartzsite. In a few weeks we'll start heading north and will boondock all the way back to my daughter's home near Seattle.

It really bothers me that the "camping" signs put up by the highway department are for RV parks. That is RVing, NOT camping! Camping is being out with nature.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #8

Glad I'm not the only one. Yesterday was a bad day and being our first day back in "civilization" made it worse. Just ran into some real jerks.

I keep pointing out to people that say the boondocking spots are crowded that I've never seen a boondocking spot as crowded as an RV park. I'd rather be parked 50 yards from someone and here their generator white noise than be parked 5 feet away and hear every word they say.

And we've got a month reserved in another park to visit with our son before he deploys. There's a big boondocking spot just down the road. If only we know then what we know now Oh well, it's all part of the adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
I love your 'to do' list for upgrading your boondocking adventures just got total priority. What is on your 'to do' list to make it better for you guys? Just curious.
Short term, get the battery monitor that's been tucked away in the cabinet installed.

Longer term, cold water return for the shower, bigger/more batteries, more solar. We do fine now but we're not looking to survive out there. We want to thrive. It's all about making boondocking easier and more pleasant.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #9

With 2 solar panels and 4 6V house batteries, 110 gallons of fresh water, 60 gray and 45 black tanks, the dogs and I can get along just fine for a minimum of 2 weeks at a time. Usually, try and limit our stay in a campground to 1 or perhaps 2 nights, long enough to get caught up on laundry and dumping/flushing to the black & gray tanks, plus filling the fresh water tank. I usually run the diesel gen set about 4 hours a day. I recently purchased a very small gas 2 cycle inverter style that should keep the house bank in good shape during the evening hours when I'm watching TV and or playing on the computer. Time will tell if this small, gas powered inverter gen set is worth the $150 I paid for it.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
With 2 solar panels and 4 6V house batteries, 110 gallons of fresh water, 60 gray and 45 black tanks, the dogs and I can get along just fine for a minimum of 2 weeks at a time. Usually, try and limit our stay in a campground to 1 or perhaps 2 nights, long enough to get caught up on laundry and dumping/flushing to the black & gray tanks, plus filling the fresh water tank. I usually run the diesel gen set about 4 hours a day. I recently purchased a very small gas 2 cycle inverter style that should keep the house bank in good shape during the evening hours when I'm watching TV and or playing on the computer. Time will tell if this small, gas powered inverter gen set is worth the $150 I paid for it.
That's similar to what we have (300 watts solar, 4 12v batteries, 75 FW, 60 gray and 40 black.) We've done 10 days and could have pushed it a couple more. Since we've collected more water destined for the gray tank and estimate we could do 14 pretty easy.

We run our gennie 3-4 hours a day. We have a residential fridge too but we turn it off at night. We've considered a small gas generator just to charge the batteries. But then we'd have to find room for it and a gas can too. 4 hours on our 5.5 kw gennie costs us 5-8 bucks depending on the price of gas. Parks cost a lot more than that.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #11

I'm headed for extended trips this season to Florida and up the east coast. I spent several weeks last year boondocking in the desert SW, my preference as a newb RVer. I'm not looking forward to the population density back east. Since I move almost daily, I'll do a lot of Walmart, Cabela's, Cracker Barrel etc. just to keep from spending a fortune on RV parks.

I'm a night person, so someone 10' away starting a gen set at 0700 is NOT my idea of a good time.

Middle of Nowhere, Death Valley a guy pulled up next to me like he's my buddy. Started the genny at 0700.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
Middle of Nowhere, Death Valley a guy pulled up next to me like he's my buddy. Started the genny at 0700.
Hate that! It's like they want to get in the boonies but are afraid to be by themselves.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
It really bothers me that the "camping" signs put up by the highway department are for RV parks. That is RVing, NOT camping! Camping is being out with nature.

uh, oh! ..... now you've done it! done gone and started that 'what's the definition of 'camping'' heated discussion again!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Hate that! It's like they want to get in the boonies but are afraid to be by themselves.
Every spot we've been to, folks are 50 feet from one another at the entrance. Good roads, sometimes paved like Plomosa, and plenty of room farther back but they all congregate at the entrance. I don't get it. We drive a little further and suddenly, we've got several football fields worth of desert (or more) all to ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
uh, oh! ..... now you've done it! done gone and started that 'what's the definition of 'camping'' heated discussion again!
LOL. So much fun watching people get all militant over that kind of stuff.

Tags
boondocking