Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Boondocking in Port Aransas, TX.....NOT!

I attended the Port Aransas Wooden Boat Festival Oct. 18, 2014. I planned to camp along the shore somewhere in Port Aransas. (no-hookups).

I found a few locations that looked good, but upon further inspection, found "No Camping" signs along the shore.

For $13 per night, I got a permit to camp on the beach at Magee Beach County Park.

After 3 nights of constant wind and pounding surf and humid 82 degrees all night long, I was ready to leave.
There were vehicles driving along the beach all night long.
I saw a few hardy tent campers with surf boards strapped on top of their trucks, but several of them left their tents to sleep in their vehicles.

Conclusion: No free camping in Port Aransas.

SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorDon View Post
I attended the Port Aransas Wooden Boat Festival Oct. 18, 2014. I planned to camp along the shore somewhere in Port Aransas. (no-hookups).

I found a few locations that looked good, but upon further inspection, found "No Camping" signs along the shore.

For $13 per night, I got a permit to camp on the beach at Magee Beach County Park.
Conclusion: No free camping in Port Aransas.
SailorDon
Your conclusion is correct.
However, boondocking IS allowed on some areas of the beach ..... but it's NOT "free"!
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #3

Agree--not much is really "free" anymore--even "free stuff." Also agree that camping on the beach isnt nearly so exciting as it use to be, or as I remembered. But if you do decide to beach it--recommend the beach area just south of the ship channel in Port-A. Also recommend you go a bit later in the season when things are cooler--still windy, but cooler......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #4

There are a million campgrounds in that area, between Rockport and Corpus. My guess is they "convinced" the city/county officials (ha!) to discourage dry camping everywhere they could.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypuppy View Post
There are a million campgrounds in that area, between Rockport and Corpus. My guess is they "convinced" the city/county officials (ha!) to discourage dry camping everywhere they could.
There could be a Corpus Christi area commercial campground lobby that influences the rules and regulations (fees) of county property suitable for camping.
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking