Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Boondocking in the Northeast.

I am fascinated and envious of the folks out West who it seems can go out in some desert and boondock for as long as they like. I got to thinking. Is there anyplace here on the East Coast where one can do likewise?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I am fascinated and envious of the folks out West who it seems can go out in some desert and boondock for as long as they like. I got to thinking. Is there anyplace here on the East Coast where one can do likewise?
Hi Jim,
I have not done it myself but I know you can boondock on some really nice sites at Scussett Beach on the cape. Might try it for a weekend next season.
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many New England state parks have no hookups and are very inexpensive. Not exactly boondocking, but a decent alternative.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

One word.

Adirondacks.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Jim,
I have not done it myself but I know you can boondock on some really nice sites at Scussett Beach on the cape. Might try it for a weekend next season.
Todd
I know that place. I salt water fish over there on occasion. What does one do Maddawgs? Simply find a place to park and hang out for a few days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Many New England state parks have no hookups and are very inexpensive. Not exactly boondocking, but a decent alternative.
Yeah, that is the way the Dry River Campground was in Crawford Notch, N.H. I really liked it. Clean, hot showers, and somewhat private. Great location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
One word.

Adirondacks.
Now you're talking! But again, what does one do? Take a trip to the beautiful Adirondacks and scope out a desolate location and "drop anchor", so to speak? I have no problem doing that and I would almost half expect someone to rap on my window questioning my presence there. I guess the worst thing that could happen is I would start the MH up and move on to another location.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I know that place. I salt water fish over there on occasion. What does one do Maddawgs? Simply find a place to park and hang out for a few days?

Hi Jim,
I'm not really sure hoe you go about setting it up. Last time we were in the area we saw a bunch of RV's about a 100 yards off the beach. We didn't think to ask about how to reserve at the time.
Todd

Yeah, that is the way the Dry River Campground was in Crawford Notch, N.H. I really liked it. Clean, hot showers, and somewhat private. Great location!

Now you're talking! But again, what does one do? Take a trip to the beautiful Adirondacks and scope out a desolate location and "drop anchor", so to speak? I have no problem doing that and I would almost half expect someone to rap on my window questioning my presence there. I guess the worst thing that could happen is I would start the MH up and move on to another location.
[QUOTE=Horizonchase;1265282]I know that place. I salt water fish over there on occasion. What does one do Maddawgs? Simply find a place to park and hang out for a few days?

Hi Jim,
I'm not really sure hoe you go about setting it up. Last time we were in the area we saw a bunch of RV's about a 100 yards off the beach. We didn't think to ask about hoe to reserve at the time.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
One word.

Adirondacks.
Quote:
Yup, that's pretty much what the DW & I do, we spend the day hiking & looking around, then spend the late afternoon looking for a good spot or two and stop for 'dinner'. If anyone questions us we're doing just that, stopping for dinner.

A friend & his DW have been doing this for 10+ years, never been more than warned yet. If anyone else makes a fuss they go down the road to another site.

The place is mostly day use folks, past dinner hour it's pretty much empty.

I use Google Maps (combined with Sat. & Street views) to scout out promising areas before we head out, there's also lots of little towns and villages mixed in through the parks, so almost any Church or public building parking lot works too.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Yup, that's pretty much what the DW & I do, we spend the day hiking & looking around, then spend the late afternoon looking for a good spot or two and stop for 'dinner'. If anyone questions us we're doing just that, stopping for dinner.

A friend & his DW have been doing this for 10+ years, never been more than warned yet. If anyone else makes a fuss they go down the road to another site.

The place is mostly day use folks, past dinner hour it's pretty much empty.

I use Google Maps (combined with Sat. & Street views) to scout out promising areas before we head out, there's also lots of little towns and villages mixed in through the parks, so almost any Church or public building parking lot works too.

Enjoy!!!!
Thanks Murf! I think when the DW and I get more comfortable in our RVing and we want to break away from CG's & State Parks we will definitely head outto the Adirondacks. Hopefully when the time comes you can let us know some of your favorite spots. Not all! I imagine they are like prime fishing locations and best kept to ourselves, right?

Tags
boondocking